RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > The Full Fats are Picking on us again.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>

SRE

Spain 

One thing the FF boys don't brag about is that the FF is only a bloated X5 (a very old design from the 90's) Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #302025 Mon Jun 06 2011 3:44pm
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Come on guys, if they need to reassure each other that they made the only right choice, well let them.

Enjoy your RRS '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #302029 Mon Jun 06 2011 4:25pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Maybe this thread deserves an opinion from the apparent enemy? (Not that I was part of that thread) Cool

I bought a brand new Supercharged Sport when they first came out in 2005, and enjoyed it muchly. You can read up about it on this forum as I was a Mod until I moved cars, I was one of the first to talk about owning a Sport in the UK here and help people with gaining knowledge about the cars. It cost me £59K and I will never buy a brand new car again unless I win Lotto. I have not since spent more money on any car and TBH, I'm glad I spend lots less on the FFRR 2nd hand than I would on a Sport.

The Sport handles better on the twisties than a FFRR, no one car argue with that, and that's because its based on a Discovery 3 chassis and had the bonus of the Dynamic Response package. The FFRR does not have this and handles differently, but its also built and aimed at different driving styles, and that's why its not called SPORT!

Why did I move to the FF? The sport was too small for me, the rear seats did not accommodate adults well, it was made entirely of plastic inside and the boot was too small to put dogs, shooting gear, chainsaws, logs, you name it. Compared to the FF the leather also felt of an inferior quality, you couldn't use the centre screen for the phone, you couldn't see what MP3 track you were playing by name, the rear interior lights did not come on automatically, it made horrible noises over bumps thanks to those massive counterweights under the bodywork, the list of early gripes went on and on. I'm sure lots of these are no longer issues and the car is perfect... Whistle

Of course anyone can buy an early 2002 model FFRR for about £10K (maybe less), much the same as someone can buy an early Sport for about £15K. It's not about the money it costs surely? It's about the enthusiasm and love of the product.

Just because I have a FFRR doesn't mean I pour scorn on RRS drivers, and I certainly don't shout out the window at them. I might be tempted if I saw one of those abominations that crop up on eBay though Rolling with laughter Mind you, there are some cracking abortions of FFRR too out there! Katie Price's total F***up of a brand new FFRR is a classic example, a Censored bodykit, bad colour and lowered onto the bump stops. Just...WHY???

The L322 model had nothing to do with the BMW X5, it had a BMW 3.0 TD6 engine but nothing about the car came from an X5. The engine had to be modified to allow it to operate effectively in extremes and 4WD situations (which the X5 could/can never do). BMW paid for the R&D on it but that's where it ended. BMW sold off LR and took the idea to develop the X5.

To be honest, reading some of the comments on here about FFRR drivers is just as bad. I don't know the original poster, he's new to the forum, but I can vouch that the regular members on our forum are all good guys and don't pick fun at Sport owners, as lots of us came from the Sport and enjoyed the ones we had. NO car is perfect and we each choose something that suits our lifestyle,mood, aspirations etc.

Let's stop all the pathetic bickering hey? It's immature if nothing else.

My twopenneth

RRUK - Former Mod on this site. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Last edited by RRUK on Mon Jun 06 2011 9:23pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #302030 Mon Jun 06 2011 4:46pm
Siberianfox

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

RRUK I don't think that there is any hatred unprovoked from this side and most of the members and owners on here don't care who has what car and what spec. We are all on here to discuss the rrsport.
It seems that whilst the FFRR "men" can hand out the banter.... Most of them can not take it !

I would however like to say that there are a few nice FFRR owners.

But don't you agree that shouting out of a window is a bit backward ? Smile

Post #302031 Mon Jun 06 2011 4:56pm
wackyjim

Scotland 

As a former RRS owner and now a happy FFRR owner all i can say is well said RRUK!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #302032 Mon Jun 06 2011 4:58pm
Vogue

as Owner of both types of RR heres another +1 for RRUK Thumbs Up

don't be so touchy guys Cool Thumbs Up

Post #302033 Mon Jun 06 2011 4:59pm
ChrisP

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I think the FF guys must feel like Ryan Giggs's brother when he found out that although his was bigger his wife preferred the slightly smaller but much more Sporty high performance version when she wanted a bit of fun Rolling with laughter MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.
Audi A5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 tdi quattro S Line

Post #302034 Mon Jun 06 2011 5:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Vogue

Siberianfox wrote:
don't you agree that shouting out of a window is a bit backward ?

Quote:
Had a few sport drivers making out there's is a better model. I now tend to drive past them now with my window down shouting "GET A PROPER RANGE ROVER". It makes me feel good inside

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Foxy, I don't think he actually did it, I took the comments as a bit of jovial tongue in cheek humour,
if anybody did do that anybody would think he had lost the plot and should be locked up Thumbs Up

Post #302035 Mon Jun 06 2011 5:09pm
Vogue

ChrisP wrote:
I think the FF guys must feel like Ryan Giggs's brother when he found out that although his was bigger his wife preferred the slightly smaller but much more Sporty high performance version when she wanted a bit of fun Rolling with laughter

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter yeah right ! thats why John Terry drives an Overfinch FF Range Rover

size matters mate - always has and always will Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #302036 Mon Jun 06 2011 5:11pm
Tboner

England 

SRE wrote:
One thing the FF boys don't brag about is that the FF is only a bloated X5 (a very old design from the 90's) Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Lol but do sport owner tell everyone that the Sport is a Discovery 3 in drag Twisted Evil 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #302037 Mon Jun 06 2011 5:21pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Tboner wrote:
SRE wrote:
One thing the FF boys don't brag about is that the FF is only a bloated X5 (a very old design from the 90's) Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Lol but do sport owner tell everyone that the Sport is a Discovery 3 in drag Twisted Evil

Or a discovery is a bloated sport Thumbs Up

I agree the x5 was taken from the range rover

and RRS and Disco platform was going to be for the other lines - but it never took off Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #302039 Mon Jun 06 2011 5:32pm
SRE

Spain 

Silly me, I always thought that the entire Powertrain was BMW along with all the Electronics, not to mention the switchgear.
oops, nearly forgot the ICE, the entire in car entertainment system Radio Function, Telecommunications systems, Navigation System, must not forget the TV either. When the Engineering of the L322 & X5 took place, several other items were shared, adaptive air suspension Off Road system’s etc etc etc, also the HDC, (First used on CB40 Freelander)
I also thought that the main engineering was undertaken in Munich, albeit with engineers drafted over from Solihull & Gaydon headed up by BMW’s Wolfgang Reitzle. Thumbs Up
FF and X5 are related Bow down

Just have to have one final little stir. Whistle Whistle
Syd In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #302041 Mon Jun 06 2011 5:55pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

I say we kill them in their sleep tonight.....that Willie Wonka bloke first!! Laughing

Post #302042 Mon Jun 06 2011 6:26pm
scarey

nicely said adam.. Thumbs Up

Post #302044 Mon Jun 06 2011 6:34pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

SRE,

I wasn't on the design team for the FFRR nor the X5, and as BMW owned LR at the time I guess its highly feasible it was designed to have as much component commonality as possible to reduce production costs. It's not a new concept and continues to this day.

HOWEVER, just because the wires and software etc are the same doesn't make them the same car or 'related', just as much as the Discovery 1 wasn't related to the Austin Maestro Van, even though it had the lights and door handles from it. (The RR Classic had the same door handles!). Do you see the same drivetrain components on them both? No.

There is MUCH more componentry within a RRS that you will also find in a D3, and the same is true with the RRS 2010MY and the D4.

It's not a bad thing, it's just business common sense.

Even if 80% of the FFRR was indeed found in the X5 matters not a jot, because the X5 (and X3 & X6) are complete and utter S**T, with no on-road presence, no class, no offroad ability, no pedigree and no reputation. (IMHO)

I'd rather have any LR product than a BMW/Audi/Porsche/VW wannabee.

Let's stop arguing, it's what the X5 owners want! Laughing L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #302071 Mon Jun 06 2011 9:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>