RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Satnav DVD updates
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey
Satnav DVD updates

Does anyone know how often Land Rover launch satnav updates?

I asked our local Land Rover dealer how often updated satnav DVDs are released, but they told me to talk to the parts guys. I then saw the parts department and they couldn't give me an answer, but did say that the current Freelander disks are still 2003!

Our DVD in our RRS is the current disk, yet it doesn't know about roads that have been built/opened well over 18 months ago.

Does anyone know if Land Rover have a system of informing customers of DVD releases? I asked the dealer about this and they seem to indicate that there is such a scheme, but were very vague on this and I feel nothing was done, even though they said they would add my details.
As I'm used to the TrafficMaster SmartNav system, I'm used to satnav mapping being updated constantly and at worse updated quarterly. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #2886 Mon Oct 03 2005 9:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Compared to my old BMW system, this one seems superb, but then we got the wife a TomTom Go700 last week and now THAT seems a better way to go, updates, add-ons, personalisation, better choice of voices, it's very very good indeed. Plus it has a remote control so driver or passenger can use it, bluetooth for compatability with almost any phone, the POI choice you can get on the web for free is superb included UK fixed speed camera locations, petrol stations by brand...it's amazing. I already have a RoadAngel but this now makes it seem slightly obsolete.

Found a great site if anyone is interested in all that stuff.

http://www.tomtomfree.com/index.html

or

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/

Would it be silly to have 2 satnavs in one car when going on a long journey? L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2887 Mon Oct 03 2005 10:37pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Matt..... I asked my dealer the same question only yesterday. However it was on behalf of my Dad who's 2003 RR has the prev sat nav from BMW (which is very poor in comparison). He was wondering how to go about updating the info? It seems none of the dealers are sure? I couldnt get a quick answer, apart from..." thinks it is very expensive.. about £300 a CD"

However , they will contact me later today with the answer, well thats what they said.................................. just holding my breath now Embarassed

They also could'nt tell me much about the RRS system/update procedure!

Ps can't hold my breath much longer........................... Crying or Very sad 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #2895 Tue Oct 04 2005 10:06am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey
MDP

Don't let your dad pay £300 for an updated CD, I have a Navtech 2004/2005 disc with TMC and postcode input that works in the RR system , I know cos I had it running in my 2001 MY M5 with the same interface.

PM me your details and I'll send you a copy. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2896 Tue Oct 04 2005 10:43am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Sent PM..... will liase with you later.

THANKS 

Post #2899 Tue Oct 04 2005 11:16am
M@verik

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red
Sat Nav updates

I was interested to see how up to date the navigation disk was when the RRS arrived as it is essentially the same system that we have in our 2 year old XJR which we have owned since new and also the same as that in one of my employees November 02 X Type, also bought new.

In almost 3 years we have not been offered a single update on the X Type navigation disk and so far no update has been offered for the XJR, despite the RR disk being a more recent software release, albeit already out of date by about 20 months!

The new RR disk works perfectly well in the XJR so I have copied the disk as it is certainly newer than the Jaguar version.

Oh and before anyone asks, I don’t get an Offroad Navigation option in the Jag. Smile

From my experience back to 1998 with factory fit Sat Nav – (BMW, Mercedes, then Porsche and Jaguar, update disks don’t arrive in the post or get popped into the drive at service time. When first asked, the Jag dealers thought that updates would be automatic and free but since I do not believe a single word that Hartwell in Bristol tell me, I am not surprised not to have received one and I doubt I ever will. (By the way, if anyone has an issue with a LR dealer then the bad ones must be Hartwell, Jaguar, Bristol trained – I don’t have an issue, ours – Taunton Landrover - are great).

As for functions I agree with RRUK, the RR/Jag/Aston Sat Nav is much better than the BMW/old RR system and still better than the Mercedes and Porsche systems that I have had more recently.

Like the Navtech/BMW compatibility does anyone know of aftermarket Denso/Alpine readable disks that work in our systems? Only curious because we are planning on taking the RRS to Africa next year and I would imagine the LR Africa disk will be an outrageous price – if it is available at all. 11 XFR

08 RRS TDV8 HSE with the good bits taken off the first RRS

05 RR Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red (Rimini Brown at events), Stormer wheels (original 19's for events), PTI, towpack. TV tuner (now driven by an employee)

1923 Ford Model T (serious ground clearance)

FFRR TDV8 Vogue my07 (wife won't let me use it in case I go to Salisbury with VA in it)

plus some other bits n' pieces

Post #2906 Tue Oct 04 2005 11:42am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the feedback/info Maverick. 

Post #2907 Tue Oct 04 2005 11:46am
M@verik

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback

Pleasure Sir. 11 XFR

08 RRS TDV8 HSE with the good bits taken off the first RRS

05 RR Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red (Rimini Brown at events), Stormer wheels (original 19's for events), PTI, towpack. TV tuner (now driven by an employee)

1923 Ford Model T (serious ground clearance)

FFRR TDV8 Vogue my07 (wife won't let me use it in case I go to Salisbury with VA in it)

plus some other bits n' pieces

Post #2913 Tue Oct 04 2005 12:57pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

RRUK

Since I sent you the pm tonight I have checked this out on the web and discovered this

http://www.navteq.com/ProductFinder?action...uctId=3111

I presume this is the company who supply the sat nav to RR & BMW etc and you can deal direct for updates............. it would appear that a 2005 CD for my dads RR for the UK/IRE edition is €168 euros which equates to approx £120 Crying or Very sad Mind you why he wants an update I just dont know he's only done 8k in 27months!!!!!!!

I can confirm this is the correct co. as now got free phone tel number of back of CD which is the same as the details below ........

Europe
Universal international free phone number, available in most Western Europe countries. Remember the double 0 as you are calling internationally free of charge.

Simply Order by Phone: 00800 18 23 53 22

From France 0800 914 478
From Italy 800 781 145
From Germany 0800 181 6065
From other countries 0031 555 384 245 (chargeable)

Additionally, if you want to contact NAVTEQ you can reach us by one of the above telephone numbers or by faxing us at 0031 555 433 947.

Our NAVTEQ Customer Call Centre is open from Monday to Friday, 09:00hrs to 18:00hrs, Central European Time.

Last edited by MDP on Wed Oct 05 2005 11:34pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #2960 Wed Oct 05 2005 10:51pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

That's still pretty expensive I think... I'm sure BMW used to charge about £70 for the latest DVD (which was also a ripoff, just less so). That said, BMW were pretty good about revising the content every quarter, even if they didn't bother to tell you. If LR have decided they are not going to do the same thing then you pay the premium for the convenience of keeping your system up to date - I guess if it's important that you run the latest version of the content then maybe its worth the cost.

Cheers
Steve 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #2965 Wed Oct 05 2005 11:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1