RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Do i change my 08 TDV8 for 2011 V6 ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I've had the tdv8 since new for almost 3 years and a few weeks ago LRA gave me a new 3.0 sport for two weeks. Looks great, interior awesome... Massive improvement on the 2.7 but since I was driving it on all my daily routes I can definately say it doesn't come close to the driving experience the tdv8 gives. I couldnt get on with it Sad. The tdv8 is worth every extra penny.

I now don't know what new car to upgrade to Sad WINNER - 2008 Best All New Photograph
WINNER - 2009 Best All New Photograph

Post #284118 Mon Dec 27 2010 10:13am
ULTIMA

France 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Quote:
I now don't know what new car to upgrade to Sad

exactly like me Sad
except v8 supercharged autobiography but.... RRS TDV8 HSE java black, privacy glass, bluetooth, clear side repetears.
RRS TDV6 SE with bluetooth

Post #284121 Mon Dec 27 2010 1:04pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I have been talking to a man who knows a lot about the TDv6 & 8 engines. He tells me that as far as he knows the 4.4 TDv8 needs be externally no bigger than the 3.6 TDv8 as the difference is effectively all inside (bigger bores and some slightly cleverer valves, injectors etc). This engine was developed a couple of years ago, originally destined for the USA Ford commercial vehicle market. He suspects that the new FFRR 8 speed gearbox is a bit bigger though. But overall there seems no reason why Landrover couldn't fit the 4.4 into the RRS. At the moment the only vehicle using that engine seems to be the FFRR - which can only be a very small volume to justify production of that engine for much longer. So just perhaps if we hang on the RRS still might get this bigger engine. Here's hoping ....

By the way - all engine development money these days seems to be focused on 3 cylinder 1 litre petrol engines which put out more power than the current 2 litre models. I think we better make the most of big, torquey engines in heavy vehicles whilst we still have'em. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #284128 Mon Dec 27 2010 2:37pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If you all remember back to early 2006 LR weren't going to put the 3.6TDv8 into the RRS, it wouldn't fit, the car couldn't be re-rngineered etc etc............................. after 15 months of the FFRR running it suddenly it would fit into the RRS without any problem and they sold them by the transporter load. LR has just got over all the problems of the 2010MY launch, I bet in late 2011 sales of FFRR 4.4TDV8's will be easing back (there's a very long waiting list for one at the moment) and bingo there will be enough engines around for RRS to get it as well, also if fitting the 8 speed auto is a problem in RRS, I'm sure most folks would be happy with the existing 6 speeder unless the 4.4 produces so much torque (it does give out a lot) that the 6 speed box isn't strong enough.

It's interesting too that the 4.4TDv8 FFRR gets options that have come from the RRS that the FFRR S/C doesn't yet get like adaptive cruise and forward alert. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #284184 Tue Dec 28 2010 5:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tboner

England 

I have been told by someone who works at the engine plant that the 6 speed is a deff No No with the 4.4 as the black is actually bigger on the 4.4 and it will not mate to the engine and that then the engine and the 8 speed do not clear the Disco chassis due to the double rails of the sport Sad when the new sport comes out which is after the new FFRR in 2012 then who knows.

But as you say Tim may be they will be forced to try and mod something to boost sales. But then the combined C02 output of the range IE the 3.0TD the 5.0 SC and then the 4.4TD takes the cars in to the penalty area in Brussels i have been told Sad also makes you wonder if they are going to try and make the brands more individual with not so many cross options to keep the FFRR sales up. 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #284185 Tue Dec 28 2010 9:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123