Page 3 of 3 <123

1JBS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Orkney Grey

Please tell us a little more to justify your sceptisism Question

Post #282432 Wed Dec 08 2010 10:23pm
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

drdelrrs wrote:
So we've seen recommendations on this thread go from 200ml to 500ml; why not go on and add a litre, that'll be about 80:1 !!!

Your lawnmower will run fine on 50:1 and that's ALL the lubrication it needs while running a many more revs.

Just for good measure and to give a nice qiet engine you could relace the 30w engine oil for a 90w hypoid as used in rear axles - it will be REALLY quiet then - for a little while!! Best of luck with any warranty claim (Land Rover or after- market)

As an auto-engineer I'd strongly recommend you don't do it - if you don't intend keeping your RRS for long you probably get away with it.

The recommended ratio is 1:200, in the RRS tank of 84 liters it means 420 ml.
As an auto-engineer are you really saying that a one time excess of 80 ml is going to cause the engine to explode?

As I said I used 2 stroke oil in my previous TDV6 and now in my TDV8(30000 Km) with no adverse issues and no smoke at all. I read enough people using it with good results, improvements or at worse no changes at all. I haven't yet read of one having engine failures or problems because of it.
I intend to keep my RRS for quite a while, so let me worry about eventual warranty problems.

You do not want to use it? Fine with me. I do want to use it? Should be fine with you too, with no need for your sarcastic attitude.

. '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #282441 Wed Dec 08 2010 11:26pm
Tboner

England 

A pal of mine has been running 2 stroke in his 2.7TD for 3 years and 70,000 miles now always adds 250ML per tank ? Never had a problem with the engine.

How does a lawnmower running on unleaded and air cooled compare to a hi pressure TDI i cannot see the use in making that sort of statement on this thread, proper qualified information would be good though. From someone with engine knowledge on TDi's.

My chainsaw runs on 30:1 at hi revs does that compare to a lawnmower, i think not.............

I have not tried it in either of mine but it seems a lot of people have been using it for a long time with no adverse effects, seems to speak for itself IMO.

I wonder why Td's that run cheap fuel from supermarkets seem to smoke more that those running main brand Shell , BP that claim less smoke and quieter engines at the same time, are the big suppliers adding 2 Stroke to there mix anyway ? 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #282451 Thu Dec 09 2010 12:01am
Markielew

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Hi there 'FlyDive'
I was interested in reading your comment about other people using sarcasm. Have you read your own signature lately?

Post #282720 Sat Dec 11 2010 11:04am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Sorry some of you were upset by my sarcasm; I thought RRS owners were a tougher breed.

Over 30 years I've had a few Range Rovers, which are usually kept for well over 150,000 miles. Only had one with any engines problems (a broken oil pump drive in 1980).

I'm only giving a bit of advice, which can be weighed with any other opinion. So please don't get up tight my point is only taht if you're adding 3 stroke use the bst quality you can in small quantity.

Post #282758 Sat Dec 11 2010 10:05pm
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Yes, you really hurt me, not tough as your usual RRS owner, not shaving with a survival knife in the morning Laughing Laughing Laughing '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #282768 Sun Dec 12 2010 12:26am
marksgd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Well ive had a read on this thread & i have just skirted in 350-400ml of castrol 2stoke to a full tank im getting approx 27-28 mpg on motorway and only 21-23mpg round town will let you know if i notice any improvements Oh got it from Halfords 1Ltr bottle £8.49.. Think i got robbed. Crying or Very sad

Post #283730 Tue Dec 21 2010 7:40pm
yogibear

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

well after not having the bottle ( forgive the pun) to put in the 2 stroke for two fill ups it went in last week.
no problems at all, does seem a lot quieter on start up and maybe a little better when warm but still on first tank so will let you know.

a little tip: went in to b and q and bought a small 2 stroke mixing bottle (2.49) and now fill this up at home and it pours perfect into the filler neck and it has a mesure on the side.

Post #283758 Tue Dec 21 2010 10:21pm
PHYLRRS

Netherlands 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

will try to. I bought a shell 2T vsx oil. But I can't find any information about the jaso FB or FC information on the package. only semi-syntetic is mentioned.

Post #284007 Fri Dec 24 2010 7:18pm
marksgd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Well nothing much has changed getting approx 20 to the gallon but it is snowy engins seems a little quiter though

Post #284064 Sat Dec 25 2010 9:31pm
avos

I would first check if diesel is already mixed with Bio diesel in your countiy, as it has been clearly shown in the tests (from the links in this thread), that bio diesel provides the best lubrication possible (already at 2%). Here is a summary of that test:

Click image to enlarge

At least in belgium it is (the latest I heard was about 4%), so if it is then to add also 2 stroke oil is pointless. RRS SDV6 HEV Dynamic
XKR 700 BHP with Twin-screw and LSD

Post #284079 Sun Dec 26 2010 9:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123