RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Heated Windscreen!!!!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

wackyjim

Scotland 
Heated Windscreen!!!!!!!

The automatic function of the heated windscreen is driving me mad...I appreciate it first thing in the morning when its frosty but it tends to come on all through the day when the outside temp drops below 3 degrees even though I try to switch it off it just keeps coming back on again Censored ,to me its so unneccesary once the car is defrosted to have this function perhaps even more annoying is that when it does this there is no light on the switch indicating that its even in operation which is maddening!!! Evil or Very Mad The result of all this is a horrible shimmering effect which is worse when the the sun is shining and is so distracting when at this time of year you need to have perfect vision all the time. Can anyone tell me whether this function can be disabled???

Post #281102 Thu Nov 25 2010 2:23pm
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

How do you know it is on if the light is not showing???? Can it be the fact that the air blown toward the windscreen is hot enought?

Usually it goes on when cold, then either it will switch off on it's own or u can't turn it off when the aircon is hot enough. Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #281105 Thu Nov 25 2010 3:36pm
wackyjim

Scotland 

Its easy to tell thats its on because of the shimmer that it causes...I have no idea why there is no light on the switch, there is first thing when you start the car or if you press the rapid defrost button but once that goes off it seems to have a mind of its own without lighting up the switch!!!..Air-con set at auto at 20 degrees which is more than warm enough I would have thought

Post #281107 Thu Nov 25 2010 5:19pm
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

ill be honest mate i didnt even notice it was automatic, ive never noticed mine coming on unless i click the button and i have seriously relished it each year when its frosty Thumbs Up

Post #281108 Thu Nov 25 2010 5:24pm
Old Stager

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

wackyjim wrote:
Its easy to tell thats its on because of the shimmer that it causes...I have no idea why there is no light on the switch, there is first thing when you start the car or if you press the rapid defrost button but once that goes off it seems to have a mind of its own without lighting up the switch!!!..Air-con set at auto at 20 degrees which is more than warm enough I would have thought

I think you'll find the shimmer is actually the heating elements themselves - you can see them in certain light conditions e.g. direct sunlight whether or not the heated front screen is switched on. I've got just the same effect on my Focus RS which also had a heated screen (but it doesn't come on automatically at low temp). I agree it is a bit off-putting, but out-weighed by the benefits of the heated screen IMHO 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.
IN THE GARAGE: BMW i8 - the mid-life crisis continues and it's great fun.

Post #281150 Fri Nov 26 2010 12:35am
wackyjim

Scotland 

Thanks Old Stager...Strange why this problem of shimmer only happens when the outside temp is as cold as it has been over the past few days...I'm absolutely convinced that the windscreen heating is on despite the switch light being off!!!! Evil or Very Mad ..Just another of the many pain in the arse faults that has plagued my car since March of this year Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #281156 Fri Nov 26 2010 8:06am
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

Just feel the top of the screen when you think it's on. If the heated screen has been on for more than a couple of minutes it will feel warm to the touch.

Mine does switch on automatically at low temps, but the light is on the switch. Can't say its ever bothered me. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #281158 Fri Nov 26 2010 9:14am
XRM

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Windscreen haze

I posted this under tech. in Jan when i first got my car & after a trip up the motorway to Scotland I too found it very distracting...

Had an unusual one that i have not had on my other FFRR or Sport

I know the heated screen comes on automaticaly straight away if the temp. is a bit low without pushing the buttons.

However when driving up & down the motorway we noticed what looked like a heat haze on the front windscreen the light for the front screen heater is off and it had not been switched on.
It is not constant however everything becomes a bit blurred it is not engine heat or inside heater, looks to me like the screen heater elements are on causing the Haze effect. The outside temp. was around 3 deg.

Anyone else had this or got any comments, thanks...
TDV8 gone... New Supercharged now
in the drive. 2015 SD V6 A/B

Post #281182 Fri Nov 26 2010 6:19pm
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

One simple way to test /find out remove fuse for windscreen heater.

Should be no 15 in engine compartment green 30 amp fuse

Post #281203 Fri Nov 26 2010 10:32pm
bradtarga34

I actually noticed this for the first time today, thought it was the screen being on, as it turns on automatically as you know below I think 5 degrees, but no light showing to say it was on... Very odd, just had another Jamesons and seemed fine then, J Smile

XRM wrote:
Windscreen haze

I posted this under tech. in Jan when i first got my car & after a trip up the motorway to Scotland I too found it very distracting...

Had an unusual one that i have not had on my other FFRR or Sport

I know the heated screen comes on automaticaly straight away if the temp. is a bit low without pushing the buttons.

However when driving up & down the motorway we noticed what looked like a heat haze on the front windscreen the light for the front screen heater is off and it had not been switched on.
It is not constant however everything becomes a bit blurred it is not engine heat or inside heater, looks to me like the screen heater elements are on causing the Haze effect. The outside temp. was around 3 deg.

Anyone else had this or got any comments, thanks...
TDV8 gone... New Supercharged now
in the drive.

Post #281280 Sun Nov 28 2010 1:44am
Tboner

England 

Haze is on all cars with the hi speed heated screen that i have and only shows when its very cold and sunny.
The basic heated screens we have in some of the cars does not show this. Its not a fault just how the screens are my 911 does the same 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #281292 Sun Nov 28 2010 9:59am
shuzzy

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I wish my heated screen would just work properly. I can turn it on and it can be nearly 10 minutes before it clears the frost to a reasonable level. My passenger side clears up reasonable but the driver side will still have several vertical lines of frost as if some of the elements aren't working. I just find myself scraping the old fashion way, which somewhat defeats the point of it being heated. Sad

Post #282596 Fri Dec 10 2010 3:43am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

@Shuzzy - sounds like you've some broken elements in the screen. My wife's Ka came like this when new and the screen was replaced at the first service under warranty. FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #282597 Fri Dec 10 2010 7:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1