RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Handbrake/Parking Brake Locking on & screeching
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

enzojunior

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Handbrake/Parking Brake Locking on & screeching

Has anyone had this issue? Recently, every 2nd or 3rd attempt at putting the parking brake on it engages and within a second or 2 starts screeching for about 3-5 seconds. The parking brake light then goes crazy flashing and the brake will not disengage. The fix is to reboot (restart the car by turning off the key). The light is still flashing, but, hit the gas and she disconnects. Weird!! 2006 Black/Alpaca, Hi Ice, Dynamic Pack, 19" wheels, Clear Pack...

Post #271613 Mon Jul 19 2010 7:53am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

This used to be a very common problem but is les reported since there was an upgrade carried out. You need to take the car into a dealer service bay - either you have a loose pad causing the system to bind on or they need to clean and lubricate the system. Have you recently been offroading in mud as this is a frequent cause of the problem.
My last car RRS 2.7TDv6 2005MY used to do this all the time, since taking delivery of a TDv8 with the modified system I have never had a squeak out of the EPB 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #271614 Mon Jul 19 2010 7:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
enzojunior

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Thx Tim. No off-roading or mud. What the hell is the screeching all about? I can understand the binding, although if they're binding, how does the reboot release it? 2006 Black/Alpaca, Hi Ice, Dynamic Pack, 19" wheels, Clear Pack...

Post #271615 Mon Jul 19 2010 8:21am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

A couple of TSB's in my Gallery. Wink Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #271620 Mon Jul 19 2010 9:27am
PJPR01

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Cairns Blue

Does it sound like someone is killing a cat?

If so, that means the EPB module itself has failed...that's what's creating the screeching noise. It has to be replaced as the plastic gears inside the box are failing.

Also had this happen a couple of times...no other solution, other than check the EPB module on TestBook. PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #271782 Tue Jul 20 2010 9:50pm
anthony-apl

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

just had mine done under warranty

New handbrake module fitted and all ok now had problems with the dealer though trying to charge for cleaning and servicing the brakes as they said this is what had caused it

see my other thread and make sure you confirm any prices etc with the dealer first Thumbs Up

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic18689.html 16 model year yulong white autobiography
Bentley continental GTC
2011 VW Transporter T5 Kombi 140BHP with sport line kit for work

15 model year black RRS HSE gone
11MY Fuji White 3.0 TDV6 HSE
Ivory premium leather
Ebony contrast stitching
Extended leather pack
Anigra Wood now gone

08MY Range Rover Sport TDV6 GONE

Post #271785 Tue Jul 20 2010 10:03pm
dcc

Guernsey 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I have just had a similar experience. In my case I had stopped at traffic lights with the parking brake on. When the lights turned green and I tried to move off there was an awful screeching noise worse than a screaming banshee ( I am sure you could hear it a mile away) and the car would not move. The rear wheels seemed locked.

The breakdown service wanted to release the parking brake but didn't know how. Eventually help was given over the phone. There is no mention of what to do in the manual.

The solution is in fact quite simple. Lever off the plastic bit between the gear lever and the EPB lever. Under this there are 2 screws which are removed enabling the EPB lever itself to be removed. Attached to it is a wire connector. This can be removed if space is needed. Then with a torch peer into the void below. You should find a wire with a loop. You now need a hook to get hold of it. The jack screw rotating hook which is part of the wheel-changing tools is ideal. Take this and hook it through the wire. With quite a hefty pull upwards you should eventually hear a loud noise which sounds like something being released (I don't know what). The vehicle parking brake is now released and the car can be driven - to the dealer for repair naturally.

Once you know how the whole operation takes only 5 minutes. Since we didn't know how to handle it I was stuck near the traffic lights for about an hour and the prospect of loading the car onto the breakdown truck with immoveable rear wheels was not ideal.

Fortunately the repair (a new handbrake module) was under warranty.

Post #274121 Tue Aug 17 2010 4:12pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The EPB release is described in the manual........................................... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #274129 Tue Aug 17 2010 6:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Endjin

Scotland 

I have a simple solution. I never use the EPB! 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #274151 Wed Aug 18 2010 11:26am
BulletProofBomb

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

It sounds like someone killing a cat in the boot was exactly how I described it to the dealer aswell. What the rest have said new EPB unit fitted. (warranty, phew)

Post #274195 Thu Aug 19 2010 2:54am
Fat B'stard

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Just suffered from the same problem! I bought Marlow High St to a stand still it is that loud. Got home at 1am yesterday and forgot to press the EPB button down when I parked. Neighbours now love me! Dropped it into Graham Goodyer this morning. All fixed!

Post #277865 Thu Oct 14 2010 1:22am
pcregeen

happened no less than 4 times in a year on my disco 3. Common fault. note to all, rarely covered in aftermarket or approved used warranty

Post #277949 Thu Oct 14 2010 6:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1