Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Going for test drive tomorrow... - The Verdict
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Linko

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue
Going for test drive tomorrow... - The Verdict

Hello,

This my first real post, so please be gentle!

I am going for a test drive in a 2007 TDV8 HSE tomorrow. I have been lurking in the shadows of the forum for a little while to learn from other peoples experience and knowledge, so hopefully i've absorbed enough to know whether it's good-en or a bad-en.

I am looking for advice on the main things to try and check for when I see the dealer.

So far i've only got:
1) Full Service History
2) Listen for the legendary knocking

Any other recommendations?

I'm expecting a selection of comical replies, but a teaspoon of good advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by Linko on Sat Sep 11 2010 5:36pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #275751 Fri Sep 10 2010 6:54pm
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Is it from a dealer or independant?

Post #275753 Fri Sep 10 2010 7:49pm
Linko

independent.

already fairly sure i don't want their warranty. A few people on here recommend Kam's 3 year warranty, so was going to go with that.

Post #275758 Fri Sep 10 2010 8:26pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Always a scary time. Maybe worth having the RAC or whatever do a vehicle examination on it if you decide you like the car? And remember, there's loads to choose from so be fussy! L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #275759 Fri Sep 10 2010 9:21pm
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Just my ten penneth but i would be very wary about buying from an independant unless they came with glowing references from other customers, and do not think i am being biast as i would also say the same about some dealers having read posts in this forum Whistle

Give James a call at LPR and you will be fine Thumbs Up

Post #275776 Sat Sep 11 2010 11:09am
Linko

Thanks Gents,

Went to see it in person. It had light wispy scratches down the sides, as if it had brushed against some bushes. The underside was covered in mud, the front discs looked low & the tyres didn't have much life in them. It was parked at the side of another RRS which was a little older (& a TDV6) and that was in far better condition externally (not a silver fan), so the comparison was easy. The front suspension looked like it had all new components.
Couldn't find a service book, but the original invoice was to a farm, so that put me off a little as it helped to explain the condtion.
It had a stone chip right in my high line on the front window screen when in the drivers seat.
The service internal indicator suggested only 26 miles to the next service if was reading it right.
At this point, I knew it was cheap, but eveything added up as to why.

And finally... when doing about 1,500 - 2,000rpm on a flat road, there was a kind metallic rattle coming somewhere aft of the drivers area. If I dabbed the throttle a little more it disappeared. So that was the final nail in the coffin!
I suppose I could have tried to negotiate some of the things to be fixed, but by then I had made my mind up to walk away.

Other than that it was a nice car!! Confused
It drove solidly enough, I managed to fizz past some other cars on a dual carriage way, there was the noticeable lag mentioned by a few people on here, but once it got rolling... it felt good.
And i managed to get 29 MPG out of it Shocked

If it had of been a different car, I would have followed ilard's advice and got an independent expert to have a look.
I went to the garage as someone on here said they'd bought their RRS from the place last year and they were happy. In fairness the car is priced to reflect it's condition & the dealer seemed straight with me. I guess I was hoping for the moon on a stick!

Will lightly search for a couple of weeks until i stop sulking about it, then maybe give James a call as suggested by Leeds.

Cheers.

Post #275788 Sat Sep 11 2010 5:29pm
Lookers Park Royal

Don't need to wait a couple of weeks to call me! Not in till Monday now but call or email as per my signature below. If you let me know what you want and the budget I'll see if we've got any part-exchanges due in soon.

I have a nice 08 plate TDV8 (is an import, but it's cheap for what it is) http://www.lookerslandroverlondon.co.uk/us...eID=961992 at £35900 and I'd do a little more for you as a forum member.

James Thumbs Up

Post #275796 Sat Sep 11 2010 7:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lookers Park Royal

leedsunited wrote:
Give James a call at LPR and you will be fine Thumbs Up

Thanks for the mention Leeds! Thumbs Up

Post #275797 Sat Sep 11 2010 7:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
White Rabbit

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Have completed 60,000ks with my 2007 V6.(named Hamish) Required a new set of tyres at 50,000 ks and replaced with the same as original Continental Sport x 20 inch. Apart from a recall with the vacuum pipe the car has been a dream. In May this year completed 7000 ks driving in Austria, Sloveniaa and Croatia on some of the most spectacular mountain passes.
Sat Nav with the latest two discs which covers all countries visited including Croatia was accurate.
Hamish has her engine oil changed every ten thousand Ks with Castrol 5/30
We are fortunate in this part of the world to be serviced by an excellent L.R. garage with up to date mechanics and understanding front desk staff, their coffee is freshly ground.!!
:D

Post #275974 Tue Sep 14 2010 10:53am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Have you got an update on this Linko.....? Whistle Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #276012 Tue Sep 14 2010 9:18pm
Linko

Embarassed erm... yeah... suppose the update is... I bought it! Embarassed

Offered the dealer what I thought was a good price and he took it. It left me with enough money to get the things I wasn't happy with sorted and still feel like I got a bargain. Thumbs Up

When I went to collect it, their valeters had done a top job of making my new motor look shiny and the whispy scratches were virtually gone. Will put some pics in the gallery soon.
The drive back home was brill, I used the ACC to follow Bodsy on the 3.5 hour return journey. Got 30.5mpg which was better than Bodsy's Disco3 Rolling with laughter Shouldn't laugh as it was very nice of Bodsy to do the 7 hour round trip.

With the help of Bodsy and Wiggs (from the Disco3 forum) I've already got the bluetooth module updated so my iPhone4 works a treat.
From the LED thread, I followed NickM's path and updated the interior lights, side lights and number plate lights with LED bulbs. It looks so much better for it IMO. Will update that thread with some picks of before and after later.

The brakes all round including the EPB is being sorted tomorrow and the service is booked for a couple of weeks (I previously thought it was 26 miles to the service, but it really said 26 days).

With the exception of the mental Sat Nav (09 Disc) that insists on trying to take me on longer routes than is necessary Rolling Eyes . I am very happy with my RRS Very Happy

Post #276643 Fri Sep 24 2010 11:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1