Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Noise / Vibration / Resonance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Camper

Isle Of Man 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Noise / Vibration / Resonance

I don't really know how to put this in to words but here goes -

At around 1700 to 1900 rpm I can 'feel' vibration / rubbing through the steering wheel or column and I
I can also hear it.
When I am over 2200 rpm everything is normal and quiet.
I bought it six weeks ago. Range Rover Sport, 2006 and has 48,000 miles.

Before I could test drive it, new tyres and brake components were fitted.
I noticed the condition as soon as I drove it and mentioned it to the salesman. He said they would put everything right before I purchased.
Went in a few days later and he said they had tightened the power steering belt.
No change.

Took it back in for an engineer to test drive (they are the Land Rover Agent locally) it because the problem is much easier to hear and feel than to put into words.
He acknowledged it immediately. After a couple of miles at various rpm he said he was very confident that it was 'tyre noise'.

I left it with them and when I picked it up the manager said they had swapped the tyres from front to rear and vice-versa, and checked all gearbox and engine mounts. "Should be o.k. now"
No difference, in fact after loading the car with passengers and luggage the noise and feel were slightly more pronounced.

What do you reckon it could be folks; are they stringing me along until the three month guarantee runs out.
I'd really appreciate any thoughts
Thanks

Post #274230 Thu Aug 19 2010 4:37pm
rrs2010

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

It's very hard to do an internet diagnoses but I would say possibly diff noise...

Good luck and welcome to the forum Very Happy Cheers Paul

2006 TDV6 HSE - Cairns Blue
Tow Pack, Privacy Glass, PTI, DVD.

Post #274243 Thu Aug 19 2010 11:16pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

I once had similar vibrations and it turned out to be the front diff. Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #274244 Fri Aug 20 2010 3:03am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

One other point - it's a 2006 car is it running on wheels/ tyres bigger than 19"? In 2006 unless you specced the optional handling pack you needed to upgrade the steering rack to run with wheels bigger than 19". If you are running the car on 20" wheels then check that you also have the up-rated steering rack - somewhere on the forum there is a description of how to tell the difference between the "standard" and uprated racks, after 2007MY came out in September 2006 all RRS's got the uprated rack. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #274255 Fri Aug 20 2010 8:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Camper

Hya Gents
thanks for your quick responses.
I will check the wheel sizes, I'll also bring up the front diff possibility when I take it in.
The dealer sounds very upbeat and booked it for Thursday next.
I'll be sure to let you know what they decide this time.
Thanks again

Post #274309 Fri Aug 20 2010 3:15pm
mrwhitebrow

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi Camper, (Or should that be hi-de-hi?)

I'm pleased you asked the question - I have the same issue, and as you say - it's hard to explain.

My RRS is a late 2005/55 HSE and I've got the 22" Overfinch wheels on. I had the same sensation, and i had put it down to:

1 - Gearbox...(I hope not)

2 - Driveshaft

3 - My garage that looks after my cars said it's likely to be tyre noise. I kind of discounted this because my Vogue also has 22" wheels on, and it's as smooth as butter.

4 - Steering column bush or something similar, as the vibration seems to be felt that way.

Please let us know what the dealer says - or more importantly what solves it. I hadn't heard about the steering column issue - or the handling pack.

I will watch with baited breath!

Thanks,

Steve Range Rover Sport TDV6 - Overfinch kit, 22" Supersport wheels
Mercedes C63 - 6.3 500bhp monster
BMW Alpina B3 E36 - bought it 15 years ago, and can't bring myself to sell it (again).

Post #274947 Sun Aug 29 2010 8:31am
yogibear

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

hi camper
had exactly the same problem with my 57 plate RRS
went to dealer 3 times and on the last visit they got the LR tec guy to come out.
this is the responce they sent me:

The road test was to identify the cause of the reported humming noise and vibration felt through the steering when travelling under load at 1,700 rpm. Following the road test it was concluded that the above is characteristic of this model and is purely engine resonance felt through the chassis and subsequently the body of the car.
There is nothing that can be done to remove this, however it is of no detriment to the cars safety or performance.
Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

dont know if this will help but i now use 19" wheels and is much better, not gone but better.

if you know anyone who has some 19 it may be worth trying
will be interested to know what the outcome is

Post #274954 Sun Aug 29 2010 10:39am
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

Some similarities with my issue:

http://rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic15769.html

Post #274955 Sun Aug 29 2010 10:42am
Camper

No fix as yet!
The dealer took it in last Thursday.
I spoke to them Friday afternoon.
They were waiting for a reply / suggestions from Land Rover Technical Division.
They had tried everything they reckoned could be a possible cause:
Stethoscoped everything with the engine running and in gear while up on the lift. Disconnected the steering train completely etc.
Flumoxed and surprised they couldn't find anything - they have kept it for further investigation promising to find whatever the cause is.

I can't fault them at that but I am having withdrawal symptoms driving an 'ordinary' car Surprised
I'll post later this week

Post #274983 Sun Aug 29 2010 8:51pm
Camper

2nd Rower wrote:
Some similarities with my issue:

http://rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic15769.html

Poo! I read right through your 'history' and it sounds very similar to the start of my fault finding.
Thanks for the info - I hope my story doesn't stretch like yours Confused Now - Black 2008 3.6 TDV8 RRS orgasmic
Gone - Black 2006 2.7 HSE RRS problems
Gone - Green 2008 SWB Defender fully loaded; brill
Gone - Green 2005 Disco diesel; brill
Gone - Black 2003 Disco diesel; brill

Post #275005 Mon Aug 30 2010 10:13am
alanbl

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue
Hi Camper

I have read with interest your issues with steering vibration etc. I have discovered the following LR TSB http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...ation1.pdf which appears to cover exactly what I am experiencing ie vibration / shimmy under acceleration. There is an interesting piece in Auto Express this week about dealers withholding info on previous recalls etc with one guy saving 4k through warranty work completed on his Bm'r. I have a pal who works for LR who I will discuss this with soon so will keep you posted. Thats assuming of course your issue is still an issue! Very Happy

Post #275205 Thu Sep 02 2010 10:02am
Camper

Hi alan
Thanks for your info.
With new tyres being fitted the day before I took it, I hope the dealer has taken this possibility into consideration.
I emailed him the suggestions / thoughts made in this thread last week and he informed me that they are scouring the land Rover Technical bulletin boards or whatever they do as a franchisee.
He emailed me yesterday to tell me all investigations were still underway and they are determined to put things right. Quite re-assuring, but because I just want to be enjoying what I thought I had bought it is getting to be frustrating.
Unless I have a unique, new problem, I would have expected the whole Land Rover Technical department to have been able to pick up on this fairly quickly.
Or are there sinister answers being withheld Evil or Very Mad Now - Black 2008 3.6 TDV8 RRS orgasmic

Post #275366 Sat Sep 04 2010 3:27pm
Camper

After my car being in the dealers for 12 days, this is the reply I got:

We have now completed a considerable amount of diagnostic work on the Range Rover. This involved a full and thorough inspection of all the transmission components including draining and inspecting the oils and replacing them, also a full examination of the steering components and geometry, all of which has been in conjunction with Land Rovers technical department. We have found no fault with any of the components and we have compaired your vehicle with others of the same model and noted the same resonance at the same level of RPM in those vehicles. The technical department at Land Rover have advised us that this low engine speed resonance is from the torque converter and is normal, their statement is as follows:

‘There is a situation at low speed light throttle where the Torque Converter can resonate. This is a Normal Opertating Characteristic of the vehicle.’

I am sorry that it has taken this long to come to this conclusion, we wanted to be absolutely sure that there were no faults with the transmission, steering and suspension components before returning the vehicle to you. The vehicle is now ready for you to collect at your convenience.

I am very disappointed and will probably never be happy if I keep it. To be fair the dealer said he would take it back at the price I paid if I take another vehicle, whether he would or not if I actually did is another thing.
So - I thought I'd joined the Premier Division but I enjoyed all my past Discos more than this.
Here endeth the Censored tale. Now - Black 2008 3.6 TDV8 RRS orgasmic

Post #275719 Fri Sep 10 2010 10:18am
yogibear

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

sorry to hear the reply camper, but it sounds like the same reply i had,
i think there thought process is we dont know what is and do not want to change numerious bit in order to find out which one it is Banging Head
i know the looks are affected but if you change down to 19" wheels it is better, but before you part with too much more money i have taken mine to 3 non LR dealers and the awnsers are the same.
the only info that i got was that in the engine there is a harmonic balancer but without a full engine rebuild there is no way of telling if its that.
i know it does not help but maybe it sofens the blow when you bang yor head against the wall

Post #275725 Fri Sep 10 2010 11:07am
Camper

You know how it is when you've got the bug. Because I would have been waiting for the resonance / noise every time I got in it, I now have a later model, less mileage, more horses, and I'm a real happy cookie again. Can't complain about the dealer after all Very Happy Now - Black 2008 3.6 TDV8 RRS orgasmic

Post #275839 Sun Sep 12 2010 12:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1