RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Strange Suspension Sounds, Machine gun?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

riktrik

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Strange Suspension Sounds, Machine gun?

Became a convert to the RRS fraternity a couple of months ago.
Not been the smoothest of transactions i might add.
Dealer was useless, for a car stated as excellent, required new brakes and discs front and rear, new rear bushes, and numerous fuses.

Now, the next challenge has presented itself.
Recently i've noticed a strange knocking noise as if one of the air suspension units is hammering away like a machine gun after going over a small bump, it lasts a second or so, then stops. its happened half a dozen times in 4 weeks.
Today after using access height in multi storey, while driving home through country B roads both front suspensions where creeking like a 17th century frigate. i raised the suspension max, and allowed it to lower itself. seemed to sort it for short period. Never did this before today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
[/b]

Post #266864 Fri May 21 2010 8:51pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Hi and welcome

search is your friend Thumbs Up

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic7227.html

the suspension knock (which sounds like what you have) is well documented on the forum and any LR dealer will know about it (even if they tell you its the first they've heard of it Rolling Eyes )

Good luck

Kaine

Post #266865 Fri May 21 2010 8:58pm
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

It that the same noise though? Mine was more of a knocking noise than a machine gun. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #266872 Fri May 21 2010 9:42pm
riktrik

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

It sounds like the knock you get from going over, say a pot hole or man hole cover, a dull thud from the suspension compressin the air or ball joints/bushes, its this sound but really fast. say 10 thuds in 1-2 seconds. Initially my mechanical mind thought it sounds like a valve block rapidly opening and closing, maybe an air valve block for controlling air flow from comp to suspension was on its way out/ not sealing??? Dunno, clutching at straws here.
Unless anyone has suffered this, i going to dealers anyway, as me central locking on rear near side is goosed (latch maybe, pain in the arse definately) and front suspension is sqeaking, from what i've read, maybe bushes on way out, also sometimes while overtaking fast and pulling back in, car jolts off to left occasionally, causing brown stain in pants and sweating, maybe bushes cream crackered.

Post #266879 Fri May 21 2010 10:03pm
Bob

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver
Re: Strange Suspension Sounds, Machine gun?

riktrik wrote:
Became a convert to the RRS fraternity a couple of months ago.
Not been the smoothest of transactions i might add.
Dealer was useless, for a car stated as excellent, required new brakes and discs front and rear, new rear bushes, and numerous fuses.

Now, the next challenge has presented itself.
Recently i've noticed a strange knocking noise as if one of the air suspension units is hammering away like a machine gun after going over a small bump, it lasts a second or so, then stops. its happened half a dozen times in 4 weeks.
Today after using access height in multi storey, while driving home through country B roads both front suspensions where creeking like a 17th century frigate. i raised the suspension max, and allowed it to lower itself. seemed to sort it for short period. Never did this before today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
[/b]

Is the hammering sound coming from the front or the rear?
Mine was coming from the rear, and tightening the spare wheel seems to have quietened it down (for the time being).
Have the front suspension pivots checked. This might be causing the creaking. Mine just failed it's MOT for a front suspension pivot bearing that was shot to pieces. Oddly, it was the offside (the nearside is the side that usually picks up the most road-muck).
Hope this helps.
Bob.

Post #267078 Mon May 24 2010 9:13pm
Micrometer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Machine gun noise sounds like an old issue with the ACE system (software problem) - it is a valve switching noise but hydraulic not pneumatic. Get the stealer to download the latest software level and your problem will go away. This is'nt suspension knock. Trust me, i'm an Engineer!

Post #267100 Tue May 25 2010 7:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1