RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Reduced Engine Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Harry HST

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black
Reduced Engine Performance

I've got a RRS 2005 4.4 V8, a message on the front screen has come up ' Reduced Engine Performance ' This message has never come up before but today only. Any idea's whats triggered it off or what it is exactly?

Post #263848 Thu Apr 22 2010 3:00pm
MikeS

Australia 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Must be the week for it, same thing happened with my 4.4 V8 yesterday. Bit of a stutter, "reduced engine perf" on the dash and it slowed down, wouldn't rev beyond about 3k rpm although it did keep going.

By the time I came back out to it at lunchtime to take it down to the dealer, it had fixed itself, just left the EML on. They downloaded the fault codes, extinguished the light and booked it in for a software upgrade on the fuel map next week. 8 different faults from running too rich, too lean & single cylinder misfires. Service chappie reckons the 4.4's had a fuelling remap and mine may not have had it, hence the visit next week. No other failed sensors though. Ex-G4 Challenge RRS HSE, BV55 YZE. Subtle shade of orange ! Now registered YZE481 G4RRS in Melbourne.

Post #263850 Thu Apr 22 2010 3:18pm
Harry HST

There no EML light on at all, i'l have to take it on a little run on the motorway to see whether I have any problems over 3k revs cant afford the car breaking down on the weekend going to be doing around 400 miles on a long drive.

I've had the rrs converted to LPG as its mpg is terrible on petrol maybe something has triggered it from there.

Post #263852 Thu Apr 22 2010 3:55pm
MikeS

Harry HST wrote:
There no EML light on at all, i'l have to take it on a little run on the motorway to see whether I have any problems over 3k revs cant afford the car breaking down on the weekend going to be doing around 400 miles on a long drive.

I've had the rrs converted to LPG as its mpg is terrible on petrol maybe something has triggered it from there.

I nearly asked if it had been converted ! It's likely to be related to the LPG then, mine is also converted and it's hyper sensitive to it, poor lamb. I'm not saying it's a fault in the LPG system, just the car's ECU / lamda sensors picking up on it and firing off the ECU.

If you don't get the EML coming on, then as part of the LPG conversion they must've wired in the pins to cancel it. Could've had the same done with mine but as the EML could come on for a myriad of faults, I didn't want it cancelling. Ex-G4 Challenge RRS HSE, BV55 YZE. Subtle shade of orange ! Now registered YZE481 G4RRS in Melbourne.

Post #263949 Fri Apr 23 2010 1:32pm
Harry HST

Its most likely got to do with the LPG system. It hasn't come on now it turned off by itself so figners crossed!

The eml used to come on all the time on my rrs since it had been converted and there is the odd judder from time to time too.

Whats your rrs giving you mpg and how much is your full tank and how many miles do you get from it?

Is yours the 4.2 sc or the 4.4 v8?

Post #264511 Wed Apr 28 2010 1:20pm
MikeS

Mine's a 4.4, same as yours.

The EML comes on because LPG runs hotter, it sends the lamda sensors doolally when running round town or stuck in a queue on mine. Long motorway runs it's fine and tbh, that's where I use it most anyway. According to the chap who converted mine, the 'fix' to stop the light coming on is to wire in one of the ecu pins to switch it off, personally I'm not a fan of that approach as the EML covers other things apart from the engine. It's gone back off because you've locked it and restarted it 3 times since the fault occurred (as I understand it)

Full tank I can get about 55 litres in and it'll do ~200 miles on that (motorway), so about 16mpg. I'd like to be able to get more in and get further, but because the tank's mounted at an angle where the spare wheel was, the most I can get in the 95 litre tank is 55 litres if I run it dry. By rights it should be nearer 80 litres, but the angle stops it from taking more than 55.

Judder is the ecu as I understand it, you should have a learning / replicating ecu controlling the LPG system. Mine was the same, turned out the numpty dealership I bought it from had switched the battery off for 2 weeks, wiping the LPG ecu and returning it to base parameters. Had it all remapped 3 weeks ago and I have no judder anymore, runs identical to being on petrol.

Ultimately LPG is a compromise and if the car hadn't already been converted I wouldn't have bought it, having said that I don't think I'd have had it converted either, the costs don't stack up and there's this question mark over the longevity of the Jag engine (valve seat recession) when run on LPG. Fingers crossed though, mine's been on gas for 20k miles now and isn't showing any signs of internal problems. Having said that, I run 3 tanks of LPG to one tank of petrol, so it still gets a good run on petrol.

Bit of a long post but thought it worthwhile.

Cheers

Mike Ex-G4 Challenge RRS HSE, BV55 YZE. Subtle shade of orange ! Now registered YZE481 G4RRS in Melbourne.

Post #264521 Wed Apr 28 2010 2:52pm
Harry HST

Well I purchased mine around last August and got it converted shortly after as the idea was sold to me then again I ran it on petrol for 2 weeks and it stung my wallet!. My car had been running fine for around 2-3 months then the problems started occuring. According to the guy who has converted mine the reason why the vehichle is juddering is due to the pressure of gas thats running through the system, he has increased the pressure and also reduced the pressure and to be honest its been getting really worse.

He has had a look at the other week and had the car in for a few days and has made some changes, doesn't judder as much but it still does and isn't right usually when the car changed gear around 40mph then 50mph but around those speeds. I've made the guy aware i'm not happy so he now thinks everything is sorted in aspect to the conversion and that the spark plugs will be the cause of the juddering so roll on spark plugs its going in tomorrow after the spark plugs are changed - i'l keep you informed!

I've got an 80 litre tank where the spare wheel was and you can get approx 66-67 litre's in if ran dry, and get around 180 miles out of it thats just pure urban and locally driving on the motorway it gives me around 200 miles but if yours is giving you 200 miles on 55 litre's mine should give me more!

Do you know what make gas conversion you've had done whether its egas or any other brand?

Hopefully i'l get there in the end but i'l keep you posted!

Regards

Harry

Post #264757 Fri Apr 30 2010 1:19pm
MikeS

Mine's an egas system. I think the mpg is more down to the vapouriser, I've only got one on mine whereas the installer told me it should really have 2, but the previous owner only wanted one to retain some semblance of decnet mpg. It's running on the limits of one vapouriser.

Just a thouht here but, have you run it on petrol for any length of time recently ? Heard a case of a Disoc 3 owner running on gas that had a similar issue, turned out they hadn't run it on petrol (other than when it first started up) for over a year and the ECU had 'forgotten' what to do. They ran it for 50-60 miles just on petrol and it cured the problem.

Give NGK a call for the right plugs to install as well, my chap's suggested I do that when mine's due a set.

You certainly get more in your tank than I do, looks like I may have to get the sender arm bent a bit Laughing

Best of luck with it, please do keep me informed Thumbs Up Ex-G4 Challenge RRS HSE, BV55 YZE. Subtle shade of orange ! Now registered YZE481 G4RRS in Melbourne.

Post #264868 Sun May 02 2010 2:03pm
Harry HST

Hi Mike, hope your well.

My dads got a Lexus GS300 which is running on an EGAS system he has a 55 litre tank just like yours and it gives him around 400 miles from a full tank. It then dropped to 250 miles and the car was jerking a little after many different tests and figurations he changed the ECU and it cured the problem altogether and has been fine since!

To let you know about my situation, the rrs went into the workshop on Saturday where it was converted and what we tried was changing the ECU the guy made me aware that its very rare for the ECU to play up on the systems the system I have is a INVL or soemthing along those lines. H e changed the ECU and we took it for a long drive the car has stopped juddering altogether Smile The installer had conencted his laptop to the ECU whilst I was driving so he can see the pressure going through the system and he had adjusted all the settings. So far the car is running bang on all I need to see now is how many miles I get froma full tank and hoping it gives me more than 200!

I caleld Land Rover and asked about Spark Plugs they made me aware the spark plus in the range rover are lazer platinum plugs and they only need changing whent he car is 7 years old or at 105,000 so there was no need to change the plugs at all.

Hope fully this has sorted out all my issues!!!

Have you got the entertainment pack in your rrs? If so do you know how to get the picture in motion working on the front screen.

Cheers

Harry

Post #265219 Thu May 06 2010 11:56am
MikeS

A simple cure then, brilliant and fair play to your installer for trying it. Who's the installer by the way ? I notice you're in the midlands and I work in the east midlands, so if they're localish they could be handy, as it seems we're both running the same system.

My lpg tank has been comedy of late to be fair, although it's a 95 litre tank from 'empty' according to the system, it's taking anything from 45 to 67 litres to fill Rolling Eyes . I'm going to have to get that looked at I think and at the same time have him fit a 'fast fill' to it, I'm fed up of standing there for 10 minutes whilst it trickles in when the weather's slightly warm. Ex-G4 Challenge RRS HSE, BV55 YZE. Subtle shade of orange ! Now registered YZE481 G4RRS in Melbourne.

Post #265228 Thu May 06 2010 1:09pm
Harry HST

The installer is Birmingham Autogas just off Junc 6 off the M6 , We know the guy quite as he has converted a few reccomendations as well as our cars.

Thats strange how your only getting that many litre's in it, usually whatever the tank size you can get between 10% - 15% less the tank size in there. For a vehichle of the rrs size 47 litre's is terrible I get on average 66 - 68 in my 80 litre.

I've had no problems with mine filling at first I did when it was covnerted but I was told after filling it up a few times it will speed up and it fills just as long as it takes petrol to fill.

Post #265232 Thu May 06 2010 1:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1