RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

NightFox

United Kingdom 
Towing

I'm a little confused - am I right in thinking that if I order my new RRS without any towing options and later decide I want to tow, all I need to do is connect one of those LR removable hitches; all the electrics are already there? Or is it like other cars where you have to have some form of towing hardware and electrics installed and enabled?

Thanks! Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+
Discovery Series II Td5 GS::Discovery 3 TDV6 S::Freelander 2 TD4 XS::Freelander 2 TD4 SE
Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport TDV6 3.0

Post #265042 Tue May 04 2010 6:25pm
Endjin

Scotland 

The electrics need to be fitted and it does involve splicing into cables. I would advise if you intend having
them then it's worth just getting it ordered on the car. If you want to save some cash then you could get an independant vehicle electrician to do it for you, but obviously LR won't then cover you for warranty claims of you have electrical problems. 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #265044 Tue May 04 2010 7:22pm
JimboTD5

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Buckingham Blue

Hi Nightfox

The RRS is equiped to take the genuine LR tow ball without modification, however the electrics are not pre-wired. I have just fitted my car with twin electrics, very simple job if you use genuine LR parts, there is no splicing required just replacing some of the existing wiring with the replacement plugs/sockets. The instructions are easy to follow, total job time about two hours. I bought my kit off Ebay, brand new and cost about £75.

There is a software upgrade which dissables the rear fog lights when towing and I believe it also does something to the suspension preventing access mode being used when towing. One of the other guys will probably know more about this point. I did not have my software updated and it all works fine.

Jim

Post #265054 Tue May 04 2010 9:43pm
purple people eater

United Kingdom 

i am ignorant of all the facts, and my DIY is s Censored t, but my advice is if intending to tow, have the tow pack factory fitted, if you spending that much on the car. . . . . . purple people eater

There are no good days, just some days that are not as bad as others!

Gone RR 4.0 P38 Autobiography MY99 Red ( Evil or Very Mad money pit)
Gone Big Cry RRS MY06 2.7TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Gone RRS MY10 3.0TDV6 HSE Bali Blue with lots of bits (never grew to love it)
Here Now - 3.6 TDV8 FFRR OVERFINCH Stornoway Grey - loving it x
My work car Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDci Zetec auto Estate in Silver

Post #265065 Tue May 04 2010 11:52pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

Thanks all... question answered! Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+
Discovery Series II Td5 GS::Discovery 3 TDV6 S::Freelander 2 TD4 XS::Freelander 2 TD4 SE
Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport TDV6 3.0

Post #265081 Wed May 05 2010 9:01am
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

JimboTD5 wrote:
Hi Nightfox

The RRS is equiped to take the genuine LR tow ball without modification, however the electrics are not pre-wired. I have just fitted my car with twin electrics, very simple job if you use genuine LR parts, there is no splicing required just replacing some of the existing wiring with the replacement plugs/sockets. The instructions are easy to follow, total job time about two hours. I bought my kit off Ebay, brand new and cost about £75.

There is a software upgrade which dissables the rear fog lights when towing and I believe it also does something to the suspension preventing access mode being used when towing. One of the other guys will probably know more about this point. I did not have my software updated and it all works fine.

Jim

All correct and can confirm - same here. Saves a few hundred £ and you can remove it and take it to your next one. Dealer fit and you will not get the 'removed' loom enabling to take it with you. (Or sell it on ebay)...

DIY makes it a no cost option as you will always be able to buy on ebay and sell for around the same price later on if not needed

Post #265083 Wed May 05 2010 9:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1