Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > TPS Tyre Pressure System
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

bananenschale

Germany 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
TPS Tyre Pressure System

Hey,

i have driven today afternoon at the highway and noticed some vibrations at the steering wheel. i thought it its the bad street. 10 seconds later the car began to swinging. i hardly had the car under control. saw the crash barrier nearer and nearer. I had an leakage at the inside of the wheels.

ok, have to buy new tyres for 500,- euros.

i was really shoked that the car is so irrepressible Shocked i thougt it has many drive assistent systems on board.

now i thougt about an tyre pressure system. i think its not ultimate idea but perhaps better than without.

so someone know what i could use? original from LR i saw in ads but what do i need other than the 4 sensor´s? is it possible to see it in the display? or should i take a noname part whit an external display?

thanks

tom RRS TDV8 Modelyear 2009 with some modifications.

Post #248307 Thu Jan 07 2010 8:11pm
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

The LR system is not so clever, it just warns you that a tyre has a low pressure and to check all tyres. I had a much better system on my Renault Laguna it showed each individual wheel pressure. You had to refit the valves to the correct wheel when changing the tyres so you couldn't swap the wheels around. Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #248311 Thu Jan 07 2010 8:24pm
bananenschale

Germany 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

ahh, ok. and whats that for a system which you have? RRS TDV8 Modelyear 2009 with some modifications.

Post #248315 Thu Jan 07 2010 8:36pm
Alicatt

I have the Landrover TPMS on my RRS it was fitted as a factory option.
It does warn you that a tyre is low in pressure but cannot tell you which one or give you a reading of the pressure. Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #248332 Thu Jan 07 2010 10:09pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Quote:
The purpose of the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is to assist the driver in maintaining the vehicle’s tire pressures at the optimum level in order to:

improve fuel consumption
maintain ride and handling characteristics
reduce the risk of rapid tire deflation – which may be caused by under inflated tires
comply with legislation in relevant markets.

The TPMS measures the pressure in each of the tires on the vehicle (including the spare, if required) and issues warnings to the driver if any of the pressures deviate from defined tolerances.

NOTE:
During a ‘blow out’ a very rapid reduction in pressure is experienced. The system is not intended to warn the driver of a ‘blow out’, since it is not possible to give the driver sufficient warning that such an event is occurring, due to its short duration. The design of the TPMS is to assist the driver in keeping the tires at the correct pressure, which will tend to reduce the likelihood of a tire ‘blow out’ occurring.

A single TPMS hardware configuration is used. TPMS status information is relayed to the driver with a message displayed in the instrument cluster message centre and one warning indicator LED.

The message centre provides the driver with more detailed information and identifies of location of a specific tire on the vehicle.
 Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #248348 Thu Jan 07 2010 11:38pm
Alicatt

Bobby that last line is incorrect, it does not show an individual tyre, you only get a message to tell you to check all tyres. Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #248374 Fri Jan 08 2010 9:49am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Maybe region-dependent, seeing as that text was clearly written by one of our American friends? 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #248380 Fri Jan 08 2010 10:02am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

My vehicle is not equipped with TPMS, hence I am not sure how this works. The quote above is from some LR literature in my possession. Anyway, I have checked further and came across this description on the TPMS Module...

Quote:
TPMS Module

The TPMS module is located above the head liner of the vehicle, mounted in a central position above the windscreen. The module is retained in position with two plastic locknuts. The three connectors of the module point towards the left hand side of the vehicle.

The TPMS module’s main function is to detect the following:

• the tire pressure is below the recommended low tolerance value – under inflated tire
• the location of the tire on the vehicle.

The TPMS module also communicates with the vehicle instrument cluster to provide the driver with appropriate warnings that show the importance of the condition detected and indicate the status/failure of TPMS components.

Tire Location

Because of the requirement for different pressure targets and thresholds for the front and rear tires, the TPMS module can identify the location of the tires on the vehicle, and assign a received tire pressure sensor identification to a specific position on the vehicle (i.e. FL (front left), FR (front right), RL (rear left) or RR (rear right)).

Tire location is performed automatically by the module using an auto-location function. This function requires no manual intervention by the driver. The TPMS module can automatically learn the position of tires on the vehicle if the tire pressure sensors or their positions are changed on the vehicle.

The tire learn and location process is ready to commence when the vehicle has been stationary or travelling at less than 12 mph (20 km/h) for 15 minutes. This is known as 'parking mode'. The learn/locate process requires the vehicle to driven at speeds of
more than 12 mph (20 km/h) for 15 minutes. If the vehicle speed reduces to below 12 mph (20 km/h), the learn process timer is suspended until the vehicle speed increases to more than 12 mph (20 km/h), after which time the timer is resumed. If the vehicle speed remains below 12 mph (20 km/h) for more than 15 minutes, the timer is set to zero and the process starts again.

The TPMS module can automatically detect, under all operating conditions, the following:

• one or more tire pressure sensors have been replaced
• one or more tire pressure sensor identifications are missing
• one or more ‘alien’ identifications are being received, i.e. the module can reject identifications from tire pressure sensors that do not belong to the vehicle
• the spare tire and one of the tires in use on the vehicle have exchanged position on the vehicle.

If the tire pressure sensors fitted to the running wheels (not the spare) are changed, the module can learn the new sensor identifications automatically. The learn function requires no manual intervention by the driver.

If a new sensor is fitted to the spare tire, it must have its identification code programmed into the TPMS module diagnostically using a Land Rover approved diagnostic system or used on the vehicle as a 'running' wheel and the vehicle driven for 15 minutes at more than 12.5 mph (20 km/h).

If the above is wrong, please do not shoot the messanger! Crying or Very sad
Just trying to contribute! Smile Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #248392 Fri Jan 08 2010 10:23am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the info, Bobby Thumbs Up

Might be a case of LR's famous left-hand/right-hand communication issues Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #248398 Fri Jan 08 2010 10:31am
Alicatt

Yes Bobby I'm not shooting the messenger, I had read that too before specing it for my car, just the operation in "real life" differs from what was in the brochures.
It does warn if you have low pressure but it dosn't warn you which wheel it is on, I've had two punctures in the car over the 2 years I've had the car and it did warm me that I had low pressure in one wheel but it never specified which one it was, it was a screw nail in one tyre and it was a slow puncture and I kept blowing it up until the tread was down to where I needed to change the tyres, so over the course of about 1 month I had to re inflate the tyre every 4 days. The other puncture was a big chunk of steel that went in through the tyre and shredded the inside including the pressure sender, replaced the sender at a cost of €35 and bought another 5 for my spare/off road/winter wheels which connect with the system after driving a few km. Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #248450 Fri Jan 08 2010 11:54am
twozzie

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Bonatti Grey
So how does the system know the pressure?

I thought I'd hijack this thread so I didn't have to start another on the same TPMS subject

Quote:
The TPMS measures the pressure in each of the tires on the vehicle (including the spare, if required) and issues warnings to the driver if any of the pressures deviate from defined tolerances.

Any idea how the system knows what pressure to monitor? Is it based on the std tire size for the car and if so what are the tolerances?

On the wifes Merc, you set the tires to the correct pressure, then tell the system it's all set to go at these pressures - simple.

Post #264288 Mon Apr 26 2010 7:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1