RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Quality Assurance - What is it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

NightFox

United Kingdom 
Quality Assurance - What is it?

I've read quite a few references to the LR "Quality Assurance Programme" in several posts - what is it? Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+
Discovery Series II Td5 GS::Discovery 3 TDV6 S::Freelander 2 TD4 XS::Freelander 2 TD4 SE
Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport TDV6 3.0

Post #260459 Mon Mar 22 2010 2:47pm
purple people eater

United Kingdom 

A Pipe Dream! purple people eater

There are no good days, just some days that are not as bad as others!

Gone RR 4.0 P38 Autobiography MY99 Red ( Evil or Very Mad money pit)
Gone Big Cry RRS MY06 2.7TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Gone RRS MY10 3.0TDV6 HSE Bali Blue with lots of bits (never grew to love it)
Here Now - 3.6 TDV8 FFRR OVERFINCH Stornoway Grey - loving it x
My work car Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDci Zetec auto Estate in Silver

Post #260461 Mon Mar 22 2010 2:52pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

OK, what's it meant to be? Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+
Discovery Series II Td5 GS::Discovery 3 TDV6 S::Freelander 2 TD4 XS::Freelander 2 TD4 SE

Post #260468 Mon Mar 22 2010 3:34pm
Lookers Park Royal

Depending on your vehicles build date / chassis number there will 'potentially' be a few software patches which need to be uploaded to your vehicle (assuming it is a 2010my RRS) and possibly a turbo solenoid.

It is certainly worth getting these done as (touch wood) we have not had a single issue with any RRS that has had the patches applied.

Call your dealer and ask if your vehicle requires any of the patches, which it will almost certainly will need if it was collected before 1st March and has not been in since 1st March.

James Thumbs Up

Post #260483 Mon Mar 22 2010 4:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NightFox

United Kingdom 

Ah, thanks.

So it's sort of MY10 Service Pack 1?

I'm guessing there's no rush as I'm not even likely to take delivery of my RRS before May Wink Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+

Post #260487 Mon Mar 22 2010 4:52pm
Lookers Park Royal

No, your vehicle will have the latest software if it is yet to be built. The 'Assurance Prog' won't be applicable to you.

Think of it as 2010.1.1

James Thumbs Up

Post #260488 Mon Mar 22 2010 4:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NightFox

United Kingdom 

It's always struck me as odd that whenever I've taken any of my LRs in for any maintenance, I've always specifically had to ask for any updates that I've been aware of. How come updates aren't automatically undertaken?

I got a bit annoyed when I heard that there was an update for the phone module in the FL2, but when I asked for it during a service they said they would have to charge me to update it as I was not having any problems with my current version! Is this just because they can't claim the cost of the labour for the updates back from LR if there's no fault? Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+

Post #260489 Mon Mar 22 2010 5:03pm
Lookers Park Royal

Updates are chargable becuase, as you say, of the labour involved. It is similar to having to pay a subscription for a spead trap device for the latest database updates as I do with my Road Angel. Manufacturers can't predict forthcoming phones, therefore when they release an update (with newer phones on it) then customers with newer phones can have the update carried out at their cost. Each different dealer will approach this in a different manner. If a customer is having a service with us and wants the latest software then we may not charge for the update becuase of the level of the invoce that they will be getting anyway. If however a vehicle is coming in for a small job then we would need to make a charge.

There are other reasons why dealers will charge which may come down to how many IDS computers they have invested in (used to update the software), as an update can sometimes take an hour to complete which can tie up a machine, technician and a workshop bay. I'm probably going into it in a little too much depth, however the general jist is that it is a nice gesture if a customer requests that it is updated, if the time and resources can be accomodated.

There can also be service actions which are updates. These will be carried out as a matter of course at the time the vehicle is serviced. Generally it is just phone updates which are not deemed as necessary as part of the ongoing updates.

The assurance program is totally different. Each dealer has been tasked with contacting their 2010my customers over a period of time to carry out the required patches. Some patches are more important than others and some vehicles will have more patches required than others, and this is generaly how it is prioritised. This doesn't mean that you can't call your dealer and ask them what parts of the assurance program are applicable to your vehicle and get it in quicker.

I hope this helps?

James Thumbs Up

Post #260493 Mon Mar 22 2010 5:14pm
purple people eater

United Kingdom 

Lookers Park Royal wrote:
Each dealer has been tasked with contacting their 2010my customers over a period of time to carry out the required patches. Some patches are more important than others and some vehicles will have more patches required than others, and this is generaly how it is prioritised. This doesn't mean that you can't call your dealer and ask them what parts of the assurance program are applicable to your vehicle and get it in quicker.

My MY10 was purchased September, will it need these patches? not aware of any problems as such, but are there things I am unaware off that may need sorting. Only problem with phone is that no matter which green button I press sometimes, will not answer on bluetooth purple people eater

Post #260495 Mon Mar 22 2010 5:52pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

Lookers Park Royal wrote:
Updates are chargable becuase, as you say, of the labour involved. It is similar to having to pay a subscription for a spead trap device for the latest database updates as I do with my Road Angel. Manufacturers can't predict forthcoming phones, therefore when they release an update (with newer phones on it) then customers with newer phones can have the update carried out at their cost. Each different dealer will approach this in a different manner. If a customer is having a service with us and wants the latest software then we may not charge for the update becuase of the level of the invoce that they will be getting anyway. If however a vehicle is coming in for a small job then we would need to make a charge.

There are other reasons why dealers will charge which may come down to how many IDS computers they have invested in (used to update the software), as an update can sometimes take an hour to complete which can tie up a machine, technician and a workshop bay. I'm probably going into it in a little too much depth, however the general jist is that it is a nice gesture if a customer requests that it is updated, if the time and resources can be accomodated.

There can also be service actions which are updates. These will be carried out as a matter of course at the time the vehicle is serviced. Generally it is just phone updates which are not deemed as necessary as part of the ongoing updates.

The assurance program is totally different. Each dealer has been tasked with contacting their 2010my customers over a period of time to carry out the required patches. Some patches are more important than others and some vehicles will have more patches required than others, and this is generaly how it is prioritised. This doesn't mean that you can't call your dealer and ask them what parts of the assurance program are applicable to your vehicle and get it in quicker.

I hope this helps?

James Thumbs Up

Thanks for taking the time to explain so thoroughly Thumbs Up Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+

Post #260496 Mon Mar 22 2010 5:54pm
Lookers Park Royal

Purple, it's most likely that your vehicle, being an early one, will need a few (probably all), unless it has been in to the dealer since 1st March in which case they may have uploaded the patches and forgot to mention it Wink .

If you want to PM or email me the last 6 numbers of your chassis number I will be able to tell you for sure.

James Thumbs Up

Post #260498 Mon Mar 22 2010 5:57pm
purple people eater

United Kingdom 

will do, unusual but not been back in for anything yet, misty headlights only grumble Sad purple people eater

Post #260499 Mon Mar 22 2010 6:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1