RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Theft of RRS / How are they stolen?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Mikie711

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

You could always move to Aberdeen. Probably the highest RRS to population ratio in the world. Second most common car next to the mini Rolling Eyes Elise S1 - Race Spec
Exige S2 - Road Spec
RRS HSE TDV6 - Comfy Spec

Post #259561 Sun Mar 14 2010 9:30pm
RussRRS

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

ive got CCTV and redcare on my alarm system plus 2 rotties and a Alsatian so robbing me at home properly wouldnt be there smartest move.
real weary of getting out of the car at night tho, there has been a few occasions where ive been followed from the Mrs parents house in enfield home but i live on a main road 3 doors down form the local police station so i think im safe ( i hope)

Post #259566 Sun Mar 14 2010 10:16pm
flybouy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Lookers Park Royal wrote:
Gravel
Gates
Lights with PIR
Camera with visible infa-red LED's
Beware of the dog sign
Alarm case with pulsing light

then......

Check if you're being followed and if so drive to a Police station to make it clear they have been clocked. They all communicate with each other in localities, therefore if you look like you are aware and are not an easy target then they should move on to the next one.

Any nice car is desirable, not just RRS's.

James Thumbs Up

Thanks James. I will start buying for some of these items. Thumbs Up

One reassuring thing is that every second 4x4 here in south west London is a RR sport and some of them are just parked on the street so hopefully the thieves will target them first. Well, I can live in hope. Crying or Very sad Never argue with an idiot as he will drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience.

Post #259567 Sun Mar 14 2010 10:42pm
quantz

2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I've had reports of a few Sports being stolen, but every single one has been with a key. Not aware of any instances where the security has been overcome.

This is a topic regularly discussed. Most of the time they are after your keys (it's happened to me personally but I persuaded then to go away). The problem is if they really want your car and you've hidden your keys then you could be putting yourself in danger.

James Thumbs Up

A warm thank you to James who've been very helpful. Thx for your time, J.

Post #259610 Mon Mar 15 2010 12:02pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

RussRRS wrote:
ive got CCTV and redcare on my alarm system plus 2 rotties and a Alsatian so robbing me at home properly wouldnt be there smartest move.

I knew someone who thought the same.......until his house was broken into and they stole the dogs aswell!!!

Post #259616 Mon Mar 15 2010 12:16pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

If I can offer a bit of advice as a security consultant - don't buy security equipment bit-by-bit - work out what you are trying to achieve first.

Think about:

What are you trying to protect?
Although we're talking about our RRS's here, there's also other things to take into account, e.g. is your family going to be put at risk by a gang trying to steal your car keys?

How likely is your car to be stolen?
You can never rule out crime, but rather than live in fear it's worth while understanding what the real threat in your area is. Perhaps have a chat with your local dealer and ask how many RRS's they're having to replace due to theft. Also, whatever your views on the police, it does no harm to ask your local Crime Prevention Officer (and it's free!)

Who is going to steal your car and how?
For this type of car, it's more likely to be professional gangs rather than casual joyriders - and that means somebody who'll have an element of organisation - they will have experience and will usually plan at least the basics of a job before carrying it out. So your "beware of the dog" sign may deter casual burglars but not someone who puts a bit of effort into a bit of prep work

How much resistance do you want to present?
Or what's the car worth to you? Do you take the view that you're going to force anyone who wants to take your vehicle to have to confront you, or do you take the view that if they're willing to break your front door down then enough is enough, they can have your keys and you'll sort it out with the insurance.

------------------------

It's best to think about all this stuff before working out a security plan and spending what can become a lot of money on security equipment - like do you really want to secure your house/home, or just present a deterrent that will hopefully make the thieves look elsewhere for easier pickings?

If you really are looking at stopping anyone getting your car, the only really effective solution I've ever worked with is to have a house alarm that is armed at night and has a panic button. As well as sounding at the house, the alarm needs to be linked to a monitoring service who will call the police if the alarm is activated and an integrated safe that cannot be opened for a set time after an alarm activation. With this type of setup, if a burglar breaks in and activates the house alarm (or you press a panic button), the alarm goes off and the police are called. When confronted by the burglars you can only advise them that your car keys are in a safe that cannot now be opened for the next hour and the police are on their way.

Though as I say, this is an extreme solution - you've got no guarantee as to what the burglars will do if they don't believe you, or how they might choose to display their annoyance before they scarper. And then you're left wondering when they'll be back, or when they're going to jump you in the street.

At the end of the day - if someone has decided that they are going to get your car off you, however much effort it takes them, then they will. Of course, most RRS thieves will be after any RRS, not yours specifically.

Everyone's circumstances differ depending on their own views - for some people spending money to secure against a threat that was never really there is worthwhile for the peace of mind offered, though it's cheaper to try and get the threat into context instead. A middle ground for most people in the UK is to offer a degree of "in-your-face" security so you don't look like a soft target, but not try to put up many obstacles if this is overcome. After all, think of all the money you've paid in car insurance over the years - what's wrong with claiming for a stolen vehicle? Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+
Discovery Series II Td5 GS::Discovery 3 TDV6 S::Freelander 2 TD4 XS::Freelander 2 TD4 SE
Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport TDV6 3.0

Post #259620 Mon Mar 15 2010 12:41pm
Lookers Park Royal

quantz wrote:
A warm thank you to James who've been very helpful. Thx for your time, J.

No problem, let me know if you need any more info.

Nightfox, a very good way of putting it all into context. I like to think my house is slightly less appealing to try than someone elses, other than that I can't do much more.

James Thumbs Up

Post #259629 Mon Mar 15 2010 2:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
quantz

Thx again, James.

I took the opposite view : our place is attractive (only 3 nice old houses, but nothing OTT),
quiet and there's always someone at home in one of the 3 houses. And we have much more
luxurious places just outside our garden, often empy, no dogs, no real security. Assuming
they come, they'll go for the big ships first, I guess. Rolling Eyes

Post #259633 Mon Mar 15 2010 3:56pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

Yes of course that's always another consideration - you don't want to draw attention to yourself! If you spot a row of similar houses and one of them has gates, CCTV, electric fence etc etc then it does somewhat suggest rich pickings within...

There's a lot to be said for "security through obscurity" Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+
Discovery Series II Td5 GS::Discovery 3 TDV6 S::Freelander 2 TD4 XS::Freelander 2 TD4 SE
Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport TDV6 3.0

Post #259637 Mon Mar 15 2010 4:22pm
quantz

NightFox wrote:
Yes of course that's always another consideration - you don't want to draw attention to yourself! If you spot a row of similar houses and one of them has gates, CCTV, electric fence etc etc then it does somewhat suggest rich pickings within...

There's a lot to be said for "security through obscurity"

Someone wrote The Scarlet Letter, didn't he ? Wink

Post #259638 Mon Mar 15 2010 4:32pm
flybouy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Thanks Nightfox, your post puts things in perspective and at the end of the day my main concern is the safety of my family. The car is just a means of transport and we can always get another one, but not worth putting self or family in harms way. Thanks once again for your time and post. Thumbs Up

I will sleep easy tonight but will use the alarm at night only as a deterrent but not much else. I will also speak to the local Police and see what they have to say. Never argue with an idiot as he will drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience.

Post #259641 Mon Mar 15 2010 5:26pm
XUJG

flybouy wrote:
Gravel
Gates
Lights with PIR
Camera with visible infa-red LED's
Beware of the dog sign
Alarm case with pulsing light

then......

Check if you're being followed and if so drive to a Police station to make it clear they have been clocked. They all communicate with each other in localities, therefore if you look like you are aware and are not an easy target then they should move on to the next one.

Any nice car is desirable, not just RRS's.

Safer on the street as they are not sure which house the keys are in!

James Thumbs Up

Thanks James. I will start buying for some of these items. Thumbs Up

One reassuring thing is that every second 4x4 here in south west London is a RR sport and some of them are just parked on the street so hopefully the thieves will target them first. Well, I can live in hope. Crying or Very sad

Post #259682 Mon Mar 15 2010 9:27pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

Thanks John....just like mine is on the street? Nice that you'd like to see mine stolen first!!! You're a gent! Thumbs Up

Post #259684 Mon Mar 15 2010 9:58pm
NJF

Luxembourg 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Luxembourg is rated one of the safest countries in the world to live, and three years ago we were burgled as we slept. They did every room in the house, including our room and the kids' rooms. They took cash, watches and jewelery. They left the credit cards, passports and two new cars (one a new Merc E320 CDI, less than a month old). They locked themselves out as they went.

The police attended within 20 minutes of our call and SOCO attended an hour later, checking for prints, etc. They said it was a very neat job. We received a full written police report within a couple of weeks.

Since then, we have fitted security lights, a security lock on the cellar door (route of entry), bars on the cellar windows plus locking hinges (always locked), security glass and an alarm linked to a Group 4 security centre, which we use every night and whenever the house is unattended.

The cost of the security was way in excess of the loss but we sleep safe at night. Every silver lining has a cloud

2007 D3 HSE with winch, RAI, sliders, roof rack, ladder, yellow top, Engel etc for the school run
2010 RRS TDV8 HSE for work

Post #259685 Mon Mar 15 2010 10:02pm
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

NightFox wrote:
There's a lot to be said for "security through obscurity"
Or secure by design.
Over here, if they get in then you are not allowed to stop them, they can walk in an lift your TV, then walk out with it and you can not restrain them Shocked
Most houses here have roller shutters on the windows and doors with high fences and locked gates, CCTV is still at an infant stage here as it is not clear if it is admissable in law.
When photographing subjects I have to use film with a negative so that there is a separate "original" that can be enterd as evidence with the print. Even with the Nikon Image Authentication software for my digital cameras it is still not admissable. Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #259693 Mon Mar 15 2010 10:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>