Nimbin? Just inland from Byron Bay?

Post #254488 Tue Feb 09 2010 12:48am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

2nd Rower wrote:
Top 10 dangerous Aussie animals:

http://www.australianfauna.com/t10dangerous.php

Below we have listed Australia's top ten dangerous creatures, of what we believe to be Australia's top ten dangerous animals.

1. The Box Jellyfish
2. Irukandji (A Jellyfish)
3. Salt Water Crocodile
4. Blue Ring Octopus
5. Grumpy BKHK
6. Red Back Spider
7. Brown Snake
8. Tiger Snake
9. Great White Shark
10. Funnel Web Spider

Post #254496 Tue Feb 09 2010 7:17am
stephenw

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

Don't forget the Hoop Snakes...

Sightings of hoop snakes have been reported since colonial times in Australia. This snake grasps its tail in its mouth and rolls after its prey, thereby achieving great speed, especially when going downhill. Hoop snakes have been clocked going over 60 m.p.h. At the tip of its tail is a highly venomous stinger, making this a creature to be avoided at all costs. It is the only species of snake known to have a stinger on its tail, and this stinger is so poisonous that even if it strikes a tree, the tree will instantly wither, turn black, and die.

If you should encounter a hoop snake in the wild, the best defense is to run as fast as you can and hope to find a fence to leap over. The hoop snake will have to uncoil to get through the fence, thereby slowing it down. Some have reported that diving through the hoop of the snake will cause it to run away. This, however, has never been verified!

and

Steve RRS TDV6 MY07 gone.
RRS TDV6 MY10 just arrived!

Post #254498 Tue Feb 09 2010 8:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stephenw

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

Almost forgot about the Drop Bears...

Drop bears ( Phascolarctos Raptus) are carnivorous relatives of the Koala bear. They resemble their cousins very closely, and it is believed their ancestors split less than three million years ago. They are somewhat larger than koalas, and a bit less compact. Biggest difference is their teeth - it is believed that the first dropbear was a singular mutant who, because of a genetic atavism, developed teeth more like the ancestral Propleopus, and changed his diet accordingly. The success of this lifestyle cause this single drop bear to reproduce prodigiously, until one entire population of koalas had become another species, which is now incapable of reproducing with herbivorous koalas.

They are actually fairly rare, being hunted by fearful native Australians as well as colonists. Voices are divided as to whether they should be protected or exterminated. Attacks on humans occur very rarely and no fatalities have been reported, mainly because bushmen are wise to them and tourists are kept away from drop bear country.

Drop bears are intentionally presented as urban myth - a sort of double bluff by Australian nationals, who tell tall tales about the critters, deadpan, and snicker at the silly tourists - but finally letting on that "drop bears don't exist".

They are, however, quite real.

Like koalas, they do very little all day long - they hang on to tree branches until suitable prey passes under them. Then, they drop down on it and grab hold with claws that are even more vicious than those of their herbivorous cousins. They usually target the head of their prey and often drop three or four at a time.

The stunning blow of the impact usually does most of the work, and the sharp claws and teeth of the bears can finish even a camel if they are lucky enough to hit close enough to the throat. Australian horse breeders always steer their horses clear of drop bear country.

and

Steve RRS TDV6 MY07 gone.
RRS TDV6 MY10 just arrived!

Post #254500 Tue Feb 09 2010 8:16am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

npinks wrote:
Seriously, that map has just given me more reason not to visit a island full of poison, sharp teeth and spiders that chase you Sad

NP, Don't you live up NOORRFF, harden up... Lucky it is mostly us Southern Shandy drinkers and a sprinkling of midland types here... Whats wrong with the odd spider

Angel when you come over, bring NP, get him away from the native Northern top 5 predators..

1). Ferret
2). Whippet
3). Greyhound
4). Racing Pigeon
5). Cockroach

Whistle Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #254504 Tue Feb 09 2010 8:56am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

You forgot about the Newcastle lassies on hen do's round Leeds Whistle

Post #254507 Tue Feb 09 2010 9:18am
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

npinks wrote:
You forgot about the Newcastle lassies on hen do's round Leeds Whistle

Ah yes, that could go straight into number 1 Laughing Remember a website with Geordie lass's vs Swedish Girls... absolutely no contest Rolling with laughter Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #254513 Tue Feb 09 2010 9:47am
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

BKHK wrote:
MAW

Nimbin? Just inland from Byron Bay?

Byron ! I think it was Byron, covered quite a bit of the east coast from around Armidale up to Brisbane Thumbs Up

Post #254526 Tue Feb 09 2010 10:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12