RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Tailgate problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

gothatway

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue
Tailgate problem

At the start of this cold snap, the tailgate glass took to unlatching itself when the car (06 TDV6 SE) was locked or unlocked on the fob. It wouldn't always do it, just sometimes. And then sometimes at random when driving along. It seemed to stop doing it when the car had warmed up. Very annoying having that warning message on all the time.

Now it's shut properly - and stays so shut that I cannot open it at all !

Any ideas what's going on here ?

Post #249339 Tue Jan 12 2010 7:17pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Iced up locks have been reported elsewhere in the forum as the cause of the problem, hence the disappearance of the problem when the car is nice and warm! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #249340 Tue Jan 12 2010 7:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gothatway

Ah, but the problem has morphed - now I cannot open the glass at all !

Post #249346 Tue Jan 12 2010 7:38pm
Tim in Scotland

is the main section of the tailgate fully closed? Have you tied opening it and checking that there isn't something in the boot preventing from closing fully like the edge of any boot mat or dirt in the latch? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #249347 Tue Jan 12 2010 7:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gothatway

Yes, the main tailgate is fully closed, no mats or anything else in the way - and no warning light on for either tailgate or tail glass. Tailgate opens and closes fine, but unlock (fob or dash) no longer allows the glass to be opened separately.

Post #249351 Tue Jan 12 2010 7:56pm
Tim in Scotland

Sounds like a dealer visit then! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #249359 Tue Jan 12 2010 8:27pm
baxc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

mine done exactly the same what i found out is that if you pull on the upper tailgate button just at the very front of the rubber it opens fine put your fingers in the middle of the button and it wont open hope this helps Thumbs Up

Post #249377 Tue Jan 12 2010 9:38pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

The microswitch under the rubber on mine was corroded/salted up and stopped working - I think from water seaping down between the glass and the rubber. Quite easily got at and cleaned (just undo the Torque screws and the plastic trim along the bottom of the glass comes away). 

Post #249577 Wed Jan 13 2010 7:06pm
gothatway

Thanks for that, I'll take a look Thumbs Up

Post #249686 Thu Jan 14 2010 12:49pm
Tim in Scotland

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - today, arms full of shopping bags and the upper section of the tailgate refuses pointblank to open. No snow, sheets of rain and the it's warm outside. Looks like some time with a hairdryer and some electroclean is called for before a visit to the dealer. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #250093 Sat Jan 16 2010 1:49pm
Tim in Scotland

Got it working again by blowing it with a hairdryer on the hot setting............... I also peeled back a small part of the rubber covering from the release switch and a lot of clear water came out (condensation??) and a lot of grit. I will have to take the catch to pieces now as after peeling back the rubber I cannot get it back in. It seems to have several folds in the edge to form a seal, or I'll have to take the car to the local dealer to get it fixed, hope it isn't one of those disposable parts LR uses and is just a case of folding the rubber seal back over the edges of the switch block.......... Big Cry 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #250106 Sat Jan 16 2010 5:32pm
shuzzy

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Mine stopped working few weeks ago too. Probably caused by me trying to open it when it was frozen shut! Eventually took to dealer when I couldn't get any joy myself. They replaced the switch under the rubber which fixed it, grand total of £35 Thumbs Up

Post #252104 Wed Jan 27 2010 12:48am
accyis

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Hi. I have just had mine back in for a warrenty claim for the same reason. They told me they found that the switch had water in and they replaced this. However, upon replacng the switch the tailglass would still not open. They have told me they now need to replace the rear tail 'glass' itself as the wiring runs through the glass and there is an apparent break in this wiring. Has anyone heard of this before? It seems ridiculous to me and i'm starting to doubt the capabilities of the landrover dealership technicians. Please help, this is my first RR Sport, i've only owned this car for a few months and it's the third warrenty claim. Other faults being a jammed rear door and parking brakes locking up on the motorway.

Post #254018 Sat Feb 06 2010 12:28am
RRSSTEVE

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Hi in answer to your question yes this is a common fault though mostly caused by poor diagnosis from front desk staff you know a little knowledge is dangerous. so next time you go to your dealership and the service adviser says oh yes thats so and so, take it with apinch of salt. then again the swicth and the wiring could have been faulty again a common faultwith rrs

Post #254216 Sun Feb 07 2010 6:46pm
Springer

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Just had my tail gate glass replaced as it wouldn't open. Was told a wire had rusted through and the thing needed replacing. Was also told it was a known fault. This was done during my third visit to the dealers for front suspension problems.

Post #254454 Mon Feb 08 2010 10:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>