RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Severe vibration over 60mph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Endjin

Scotland 
Severe vibration over 60mph

Driving to a meeting yesterday I pulled on to the Dual Carraigeway and found that my whole car
started to vibrate severely over 60mph and it got much worse the faster I went. Obviously my 1st
thought was that I had lost a wheel balance weight. But, in the past I've always found that this only
caused vibration through the steering wheel & only over a limited speed range (say between 60 & 70 mph)
but was smooth either side of that range. This was not the case with my car yeaterday. The whole car was vibrating! Shocked On the way back from the meeting I gave Bryan (after sales manager) at Town & County Aberdeen a call and he said to bring the car straight in to them. What they found made me slightly embarrassed but at the end of the day I still think it is worth sharing in case anyone else on here has a similar experience, and at least you may save yourself a trip to the dealer for no reason. I had covered 1200 miles last week and although I had washed the car last weekend there was a huge build up of salt & grit etc from the road on the inside of both the rear wheels (20" standard MY10 HSE Alloys). This had effectively put the wheels out of balance Shocked Once Bryan had Jetwashed the wheels the car drove perfectly again!! Embarassed This never happened to me on my 2007 cars 19" wheels, or for that matter on any other car I've ever had, but then there has been a huge amount of grit on the roads this year! So if you think you car is a bit shaky at speed try checking for a build up of crap inside the wheels (especially the rears). Bryan said that this is quite common when people have been off road & then drive on normal roads without clearing the wheels of the mud etc.
Once again a BIG THANKS to Bryan Thumbs Up ..... Especially for not laughing at me... well not in fornt of me anyway Embarassed Laughing Whistle 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #254066 Sat Feb 06 2010 4:24pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

seems a little excessive that a build up of grit on the rear wheels will cause the vibration

what will it be like once off road and your driving home/to the jet wash

possible poorly designed wheels Idea

Post #254068 Sat Feb 06 2010 4:32pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

I had the same kind of problem in the white stuff.............build up of ice and filling the wheels with snow really put the wheels out of balance till I cleared them. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #254077 Sat Feb 06 2010 6:26pm
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

thats unbelievable thats build up from the road could do that, weird one

Post #254080 Sat Feb 06 2010 7:21pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Not just the white stuff or the orange stuff but MUD does it too if you have been offroad, makes it very important to put the front wheels to full lock in both directions and have a look in the back if you intend to drive above about 50 after offroading. Am surprised that road salt and grime would do it - maybe you should get onto the council and complain they are using too much road salt........................ 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #254086 Sat Feb 06 2010 9:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Tim in Scotland wrote:
maybe you should get onto the council and complain they are using too much road salt........................

or too much rubbish in the road salt, ive noticed it up my way

Post #254135 Sun Feb 07 2010 10:02am
Endjin

Scotland 

x5pea wrote:
or too much rubbish in the road salt, ive noticed it up my way

Spot On x5pea Thumbs Up That's exactly what it is.... Have you noticed how none of the damn stuff has washed away this year! It so insoluble .... It looks like they have used crushed brick or something as a filler! Confused 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #254172 Sun Feb 07 2010 12:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1