RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Webasto diesel heater?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

tornado34

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver
Webasto diesel heater?

I opened the bonnet yesterday and noticed I have a Webasto diesel heater Razz

So, after reading the manual (in Swedish which is not so easy with techie words), it appears to be standard fit for Scandinavian RRS's Thumbs Up

Only thing is, I can't get it to work, any ideas?

It says in the handbook that it will switch on automatically when it's cold enough and not to worry if steam comes out of the engine compartment when it's on.

We have experienced minus 28.5C here recently and often minus 20C and haven't noticed it on at all.

Someone told me 'you will definately know when it's been on'

Anyone have any knowledge? I currently have my garage heating set at +15C which is keeping my electricity supplier in business Big Cry

Post #253306 Tue Feb 02 2010 10:19pm
muffd

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

acres of info on the forum on this. Here is one thread. There is more.
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic16640.html If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #253308 Tue Feb 02 2010 10:26pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The garage heating set at +15 is the cause of your problems Tornado - the FBH cuts in at +5 and below to speed up engine and cabin warm up. All TDV6 and TDV8 engines in Europe are fitted with them. The reason that you don't see the exhaust from the burner is because when it cuts in on your car you are probably driving along and it is exhausting under the car. Leave it parked outside overnight and you should see the FBH at work! Mind you the seats and steering wheel will be too cold to touch! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #253309 Tue Feb 02 2010 10:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tornado34

Come on Tim! I disn't expected it to work in the garage Banging Head

I have tested it overnight at extreme temperatures, but nothing appears to trigger it. So much so, that when we have been at friends for the evening and are ready to leave with our baby, I have to go a pre-warm the car (I know it's not good for the engine, but here it too cold to just get in).

Unless I physically drive around, just on tick over the car takes forever to get warm (like 15 mins plus). Seat heaters are worth their weight in gold. Heat to the back is very slow.

I expected to come out to a toasty warm car, no ice on the windows and instant warm blow - No where close!

Post #253310 Tue Feb 02 2010 10:39pm
purple people eater

United Kingdom 

Evening Tim

I think the PPE is fitted witht the fuel burning park heater, the other morning, when cold and I got out just after starting there was steam/exhaust coming out of the front and a chugging noise from the right hand front. Didnt think I had one fitted on Standard HSE. Remember a topic on this and a photo but "search" brings up 1200 items, was this one of yours? how do i tell?

Yes it was one of your posts, found it, and the photo and yes Embarassed i have got one and did not know it, not sure if its that great without the remote or timed climate control, and why did i not notice it when it was really cold? purple people eater

There are no good days, just some days that are not as bad as others!

Gone RR 4.0 P38 Autobiography MY99 Red ( Evil or Very Mad money pit)
Gone Big Cry RRS MY06 2.7TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Gone RRS MY10 3.0TDV6 HSE Bali Blue with lots of bits (never grew to love it)
Here Now - 3.6 TDV8 FFRR OVERFINCH Stornoway Grey - loving it x
My work car Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDci Zetec auto Estate in Silver

Post #253311 Tue Feb 02 2010 10:39pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

FBH only starts when engine is started and outside temp below +5 degrees. It then helps to heat the engine and subsequently passenger compartment. If engine is stopped within the first 30mins IIRC the FBH continues to run for a short while as it cyles down. Hence the exhast gases seen from front

Park Heat although working with the same FBH is designed to heat cabin first before starting engine, operated from timer or remote fob. However Park Heat will heat engine first if outside temp below -20 degrees ! Once engine is started normal FBH operation begins.

FBH was standard on HSE from 2006 and still is, Park Heat is an extra on 2010MY RRS.

Great system looking to retrofit similar to my Defender before next winter. MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #253317 Tue Feb 02 2010 11:17pm
tornado34

Thanks folks - this explains it.

We like our creature comforts, so we'll continue to garage overnight in the warm.

On a general heating note, the heating doesn't feel so great, especially around the legs. Irrespective of temp or direction, it always feels chilly around the legs in the front.

I expected to be able to weld with the air from the vents in such a car, but no Crying or Very sad

Still cannot see anypoint in dual climate or quad as I had in one car - it just double the work when turning up or down the temp!! In my Audi you can pair them to operate off just one control. As for ACC - forget it, I end up always switching to manual in any car - complete waste of time just like the 'sunshine compensation sensor' right, that works.

Phew!! a few heater issues built up over time coming off the chest of the Tornado tonight Evil or Very Mad

Post #253321 Tue Feb 02 2010 11:30pm
Texstar

United Kingdom 

Hey tornado34, you could always try a FBH RESET, ie, have car switched off and asleep(red park brake light 'off').pull fuse for the FBH in eng bay fuse box, go and have a coffee, (wait for 10 mins), you can also disconnect the electrical connector at the FBH as well as this, then after waiting reconnect and put the fuse back in and give it a try. Obviously all the other parameters like ambient temp 5 deg C or below, over 1/4 tank of fuel ,eng coolant temp less than 75deg c etc. must also be fulfilled. If this doesn't work then you may have to get fault codes cleared using dealers equipment before it will work, or you have a more serious fault. Thumbs Up RRS TDV8 Buck Blue (no, not now in my dreams). ..........D3 TDclankety clankV6 ............BMW 318i

Post #253323 Tue Feb 02 2010 11:49pm
tornado34

Cool, will give it a shot.

Watch this space.... (maybe tomorrow, too late to go fiddling tonight)

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #253324 Wed Feb 03 2010 12:03am
Texstar

United Kingdom 

... Thumbs Up Yep, best to do this from absolutely stone cold. Good Luck. RRS TDV8 Buck Blue (no, not now in my dreams). ..........D3 TDclankety clankV6 ............BMW 318i

Post #253325 Wed Feb 03 2010 12:10am
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

tornado34 wrote:
Thanks folks - this explains it.

Still cannot see anypoint in dual climate or quad as I had in one car - it just double the work when turning up or down the temp!! In my Audi you can pair them to operate off just one control. :

On the 2010 model, if you switch the driver temp control to max or low, it will do it to the passager one as well Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #253365 Wed Feb 03 2010 9:31am
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

Agree about the temperature around legs. I found it not as good as I would have liked. To increase the heating effect in that area turn off / decrease the face vents which pushes more warm air to feet.

Still do it now on the 10MY to increase heat to nether regions ! MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #253409 Wed Feb 03 2010 11:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1