RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > MASS DAMPERS does it cure suspension knock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

BIG BAD RANGE

England 
MASS DAMPERS does it cure suspension knock

Hello , been reading posts relating to the "knocking" you get when driving over uneven road surfaces / pot holes etc.

And a few of you had it into Landrover and got them to install the Mass Dampers , which i understand is a while u wait job ........

But does it work , and cure the knocking noise ??

Post #248113 Wed Jan 06 2010 9:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Micrometer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

See

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic15691.html

It certainly seems that the mass is having a very positive effect. Its worth noting that its effectiveness will be different car to car due to transmission path differences but generally if the lower front control arm ball joints are good (*have been checked PROPERLY*) then the mass will make a good difference. Some folk also find an improvement when ARB drop links are changed. Most find a temporary improvement after having the front DR actuator bushes replaced, but this again will change the transmission path until the bushes bed in again after a few thousand miles thats why its temporary

You can hear the suspension knocking because there is an efficient noise transmission path into the cabin of impulses generated by the suspension system which is exacerbated by the dyanamic response system (it requires a very stiff system to get the required response time). The masses change the frequency response of the mounting on the chassis where the body is fitted and so changes the transmission path. Disco, Cayenne, X5 and Q7 all knock as well but do not require a stiff system to work and so absorb the knock more effectively and so its at level which is hard to hear. Trust me, i'm an Engineer!

Post #248155 Thu Jan 07 2010 9:23am
stevedacosta

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black
Suspension Problems HST

Thanks for your comment, which is really useful.

However, as with my experience it takes 5,000 miles before my bushes wear out for the third time - car only 18 months old! So how can anyone be so sure unless that have travelled 5,000 since November when this fix wsa introduced by Range Rover.

I would appreciate feedbak.
Thank you HST Owner with suspension problems!

Last edited by stevedacosta on Sat Jan 30 2010 4:36pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #252430 Thu Jan 28 2010 9:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Unless anyone has, I suppose time will tell... no doubt, we will start to find out over the coming weeks if it's making much long term difference. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #252524 Fri Jan 29 2010 1:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1