RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > First issues with new MY10
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

max099

Austria 

Markos wrote:
Max possible problem could be also if the Pirelli winter tires were on the car already on the demo car before you bought it. Winter tires are very soft and usually the demo cars are driven more to the limits which means that when people are testing the car they are also braking like loonies to try how the car stops. And if you do that at higher speeds pressing the brakes to the limit so that the ABS starts to work the profile on the tires (especially front ones) can get unevenly used (the surface is not rounded and flat anymore but it looks like small waves).
So if that tires were on the car before you bought it I would first show those tires to someone at the tire shop to check it and change it front to back to test it.

I'll put on the summer tires to give it a try. If this helps then everything is clear...

Does anybody know, if the MY10 RRS have damped or non-damped steering gears?

see http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=264 (6th post)

Post #251908 Mon Jan 25 2010 9:59pm
max099

Austria 

KevinJM wrote:
am a bit surprised by all the theories about tyre flat spots - overnight parking is not enough to do that with modern tyres.

regarding the squeaking tailgate, you are in Austria so it is cold and from experience I have learned that the RRS does not like the cold. It rattles, judders and shudders in the winter until it warms up. My colleague has a TD V6, I had the TD V8 and we noticed exactly the same cold weather problems. My tailgate always squeaked when closing it in Winter, as soon as the weather warms up it will disappear.

Don't know where you can velcro the boot cover since it only rolls out and clips in near the tailgate opening.

@tires: yep, that's what I was thinking too

@tailgate: interesting... although it does this also in the garage (you can try it by leaning on the tailgate with the upper part opened)

Post #251910 Mon Jan 25 2010 10:02pm
max099

Austria 

Summer tires test postponed: it snowed all the night. Shocked

Post #251998 Tue Jan 26 2010 2:57pm
NJF

Luxembourg 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I had this problem on my last Merc at the same speeds as you and I recall people posting about it on their RRS. It is almost certainly not the tyres. The flat spot theory is implausible, albeit commonly proposed. I had wheels changed, tyres changed, nitrogen inflation, steering rods changed, etc, etc. Merc couldn't fix it. I eventually changed the car and I was glad to get rid of it. I heard from others that it was most likely down to the steering rack - on the Merc and the RRS.

I hope very much that my new RRS is free from this nonsense when it arrives in the next two months. I'm sorry that you're having this trouble. Sad Every silver lining has a cloud

2007 D3 HSE with winch, RAI, sliders, roof rack, ladder, yellow top, Engel etc for the school run
2010 RRS TDV8 HSE for work

Post #252026 Tue Jan 26 2010 7:36pm
avos

First of all I am not saying the problem with vibration is flat spotting! But as this is a phenomenon that is real, it is a possibility that should be eliminated to find the true cause (whatever that may be).

Depending on the tire compound (so tire brand/type) the flat spotting is less or more noticeable. The RR is less sensitive in what you feel (due to its weight/suspension) compared the XKR I have.

The nokian winter tires (relativly new) at the moment on my XKR are much less sensitive to flat spotting, but other modern (summer) max performance tires (now have Yokohamas Advan Sport) take at least 10 to 15 minutes of driving before the wheel vibration will go (happens only after sitting a couple of hours).

This is also the reason why Jaguar says in its technical service bulletin to bring down wheel vibration as much as possible, that first the car needs to be drive 10-15 minutes before the wheels can be taken off for wheel balancing.

Think the approach to test a different set of wheels of which you know should be ok is also a good way. RRS SDV6 HEV Dynamic
XKR 700 BHP with Twin-screw and LSD

Post #252033 Tue Jan 26 2010 8:12pm
Neta

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Hi Everybody,

I have exactly the same problem as max099 1st issue - vibrations on steering wheel. My car is 3 months and 8000 km.
LR will change the brake plate(? sorry but I don't know this word in english) in front on guarantee. I'll let you know if it helps.
Another problem is squeezing of rear brakes, especially when cold or rainy.

Regards,
Neta

Post #260865 Thu Mar 25 2010 11:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12