RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Sooty oil patch on drive beside nearside front wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Sooty oil patch on drive beside nearside front wheel

Saturday morning I came home from town and noticed a large black oily patch on my driveway slabs where my nearside front wheel had been before pulling away. I drive the car into the drive and have to reverse out so had not noticed it when I left home. The oil was really black and had soot in it (looked very similar to the thick black sh*te that my ship's engine burns!)- like well used engine oil with some soot in it. My suspicion is that it has come from the DPH exhaust as we have had a couple of -5C mornings recently when the DPH has cut in on start up and it has blown out a load of old diesel and soot from the system after 9 months of no use of the DPH. First "fault" after 2years and 2 months of ownership, apart from the not working cooler box, which I don't count as a fault just an inconvenience that was fixed at the first service. Anybody any ideas what it might be from as the only other thing that might leak in that region is a wheel bear seal and hopefully what comes out of that doesn't look like used engine oil! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #244578 Sun Dec 06 2009 11:10am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lookers Park Royal

Tim,

It is probably exactlyas you say. When we started the used vehicles the other day (on the first really cold day) most were smoky, however the following morning they were all fine. I would think that it's old fuel that has been sat in the system over summer.

If it goes up in flames then clearly I was wrong and you should have had a dealer look at it!! Whistle

Are you doing the D3 Kielder fun in Feb? I'd love to do the Jan trip but it's just too close to the Feb one to travel up t'north twice so soon. Are you still poping to London pre-Xmas?

James Thumbs Up

Post #244586 Sun Dec 06 2009 2:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

James, hadn't looked to see if the was a Keilder drive on but would be interested, February would be better for me too as January is already filling up with trips to London!
If the car goes up in flames then the Lookers Gap insurers will not be happy, but I would hopefully get a nice new 2010MY TDV8 out of the deal Cool. Are private plates recoverable after a fire? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #244590 Sun Dec 06 2009 4:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1