RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > 22" Inch Wheels - I haven't fitted them, this is why -
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Charlie Crocker

United Kingdom 
22" Inch Wheels - I haven't fitted them, this is why -

Yes, i know 22" wheels look really cool, they suit the car, make it stand out, theres lots of choice etc...

I debated whether to get some for my RRS but decided not to after hearing one story in the states and now have confimed the story from a mate who works in the industry and deals with LR products. This is what i've managed to to find out:

1) The air suspension system is designed to cope with a puncture in a standard LR approved wheel tyre size. A puncture will change the attitude of the car by a certain amount. If a smaller ratio tyre is fitted then a puncture could mean the tyre will change diameter less and the air sus system will not detect it as a puncture (i believe this depends on how quickly the tyre deflates etc). In fact it may detect it has a height sensor problem and drop the vehicle to the ground. -

2) Some 22" wheel and tyres have an offset which means that it does fit in the wheel arch without hitting things when the vehicle drops to the floor for height sensor issues etc. Radial clearance is small on RRS especially on the rear.

3) low ratio wheels and tyres put higher forces into the suspension system which causes premature wear of bushes and ball joints etc. LR are trying to stop dealers claiming for suspension components on vehicles that have 22" wheels.

4) LR would be offering a 22" wheel option if the vehicle had no problems with them, why would they let all the aftermarket styling places take the profit!

5) Gear change points will be incorrect and speedo will read incorrectly.

I'm not saying dont (because they are cool) but at least you now know the cons. Measure the clearances with the suspension fully collapsed add a bit to account for tyre diameter changes and dont be surprised if you get air suspension error messages and premature wear of suspension components.

Post #243753 Thu Nov 26 2009 1:57pm
Micrometer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Wew Charlie, thats not going to go down very well!! Sad

Post #243759 Thu Nov 26 2009 2:25pm
Charlie Crocker

United Kingdom 

Probably not, but i guess if you know these things its better to say, might save someone some hassle! and then i can feel all righteous!! Very Happy

Post #243760 Thu Nov 26 2009 2:32pm
mercuryl

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Can't imagine for the life of me why someone would want 22" wheels anyway. I've been mad for flipping years, absolutely years, over the edge for yonks.

Post #243773 Thu Nov 26 2009 6:01pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

Curious.....so why do LR approve Overfinch, who in case you didn't know, approve 22'' wheels? Overfinch will fir 22'' wheels to your car without making any changes to the suspension set up.......

Post #243779 Thu Nov 26 2009 9:20pm
Charlie Crocker

United Kingdom 

I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Overfinch only reached an agreement with Land Rover and its network of dealers worldwide regarding their Supersport engine package available for the RRS S/C (5 liter), on which Land Rover dealers will perform work and honor the warranty offered by Overfinch - 3 yrs or 60K miles - directly. For every other mods by Overfinch, rims included, your on your own. LR don't approve any 22" wheels. Your dealers leading you up the garden path itf thats what they told you. Sad

Post #243808 Fri Nov 27 2009 8:18am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Does LR warranty cover dental work for having your fillings replaced if you ride on 22's? Whistle Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #243817 Fri Nov 27 2009 9:36am
Lookers Park Royal

NickM wrote:
Curious.....so why do LR approve Overfinch, who in case you didn't know, approve 22'' wheels? Overfinch will fir 22'' wheels to your car without making any changes to the suspension set up.......

Land Rover do not approve any aftermarket companies (inc Overfinch), unless they are accessories purchased and/or fitted through the dealer network.

22" non OEM wheels are also a no-no!

James Thumbs Up

Post #243858 Fri Nov 27 2009 3:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Charles Hurst Park Royal wrote:
NickM wrote:

Land Rover do not approve any aftermarket companies (inc Overfinch), unless they are accessories purchased and/or fitted through the dealer network.

James Thumbs Up

Dont want to come across pedantic James but i dont understand that TBH, 22" wheels are a no no as the RRS aint designed to take a wheel that large....but if a LR mechanic fits them and LR dealer gets their cut then its ok.....

Either the larger wheels adversely affect the car or they dont i would have thought.

Post #243864 Fri Nov 27 2009 4:12pm
Lookers Park Royal

I think you may have misunderstood? Any wheels that are not original equipment are not approved by LR which would mean all 22" wheels. LR dealers should not be fitting them to new or used vehicles.

James Thumbs Up

Post #243868 Fri Nov 27 2009 4:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jonny Fresh

England 

My local LR dealer is selling Overfinch 22s directly

Post #243873 Fri Nov 27 2009 5:04pm
Lookers Park Royal

Jonny Fresh wrote:
My local LR dealer is selling Overfinch 22s directly

They don't want to get caught by LR!

Post #243874 Fri Nov 27 2009 5:14pm
Charlie Crocker

United Kingdom 

Charles - I agree with all your points,

if a dealer fits 22" wheels then the dealer should warrant your wheels tyres, air sus system related faults, any premature wear out of your suspension components, and dental work Laughing not LR. Dont forget folks, the dealer is not LR its a franchise owner they are making fitting 22" so should pay for the consequences!

Post #243943 Sat Nov 28 2009 6:42pm
Leo

Kenya 

Reckon it's just one of many excuses LR use to cover up shoddy quality / engineering.

Post #243957 Sat Nov 28 2009 10:36pm
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

Thumbs Up +1

Just any excuse to not have to diagnose a problem, and further not to have to hnour the warranty!

Post #243960 Sun Nov 29 2009 2:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>