RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Alloy Wheels..... Sort of Technical
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Alloy Wheels..... Sort of Technical

Not been the best of weekends with her indoors giving me some grief Crying or Very sad

Managed to mount a pavement edge on Saturday night and yes.......... you guessed it............. crimped a pair of alloys front and rear with a luvverly scuff marks Embarassed (to which she said "told you when I did it you were not listening"). Evil or Very Mad Did b*llock here for the same event a month ago Embarassed

Anyway, getting them repaired is easy as the nice man called Steve (from ART in the Midlands) comes round to your house and makes stunning job of repairing them (clean-up and re-spray the shadow line tint) Very Happy

We have 22" shadow line alloys which look very nice but my question is easy really - are there any 22" wheels where the tyre profile is more proud of the alloy metal in a vain attempt to stop battering these things about? I have a D3 Commercial with 19" wheels and of course the tyres are more proud of the alloys meaning you climb anything and the wheels survive no problem (not a mark on them).

If there is a solution, I will buy a full set with some new rubber and put the shadow line ones in the garage (repaired) and ready for the eventual vehicle sale.

Meanwhile............. she is still gloating this morning Censored

Many thanks in advance. Smoke me a kipper: I'll be back for breakfast.

RRS HSE TDV6 gone after 15 months since new - will not be missed I'm afraid - bit of a gremlin in there somewhere - too many issues. Replaced with FFRR Vogue TDV8 - very nice - not as sporty (of course) but absolute luxury.

Post #243408 Mon Nov 23 2009 10:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NeilN

South Africa 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Atacama Sand

Hi Kilovolt
Sorry to hear of your misfortune - but well done on finding an easy repair option. I have 20" wheels with the 275/40 profile tires - and have also scuffed the rims. I am also looking for a different tire with a larger "overhang" if possible. This is my only disappointment with the RRS - otherwise it is a winner. Did you have to alter your speedo to cope with the larger 22" rims?
On a recent offroad trip I managed to destroy 2 tyres at the same time - and the rims also got a bit buckled. They were able to repair the rims quite easily, but I haven't had them resprayed.
I see your Disco has 19" rims, and it sounds like they work well - can you tell me which size tyres you have fitted. I am considering getting some 19" rims with a higher sidewall for my offroad adventures. (I am thinking of matching the rims with the 19" spare, although it is covered with yellow stickers carrying all sorts of warnings!! - I like the black colour)
Good luck
Neil

Post #243466 Mon Nov 23 2009 6:55pm
Kilovolt

Hello NeilN,

22's on RRSport came as standard fit - from the factory - I have no idea about the affects on a car not fitted with them from the start of it's life!

Would just like some non over hang rims for the 22's?

The wheels on the Disco3 are a completely different animal to those on the RRS. You cannot transfer them over (I don't believe)!! They have very high walls but they are still on-road tyres - not especially off road tyres.

Your warning stickers on the spare is a low life expectancy emergency tyre - not suited for use above a certain speed and rated for only 50 miles (something like that)?

Still waiting to see if other members have a 22" flat profile alloy anywhere Rolling Eyes Smoke me a kipper: I'll be back for breakfast.

RRS HSE TDV6 gone after 15 months since new - will not be missed I'm afraid - bit of a gremlin in there somewhere - too many issues. Replaced with FFRR Vogue TDV8 - very nice - not as sporty (of course) but absolute luxury.

Post #243474 Mon Nov 23 2009 7:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

NeilN

you will find the Disco and the RRS have different sized tyres in regard to 19 inch sizes

the disco 3 also has a requirement for a heavier weight rating also

255x50x19 standard on RRS

255x55x19 standard on Disco

Both sizes will fit the RRS but the 55 profile will put your speedo out a few mph and you will need 5 tyres in that size as the rolling circumference difference is to big to safely run without problems if you had to fit a standard RRS size from spare.

Niot sure but think the speedo errors can be adjusted as their is an option in the software to program in different tyre/wheel size but probably needs to be done at a dealer
All standard size wheels and tyres fitted to the RRS have the same rolling circumference.

Kilovolt on 22's whatever tyres you can get you will still have problems, what about swapping the Mrs Smile

Post #243475 Mon Nov 23 2009 7:57pm
lespes

RRS never have had factory fit 22 fitted from factory nor have they been offered as a Landrover option.

Landrover have also issued warnings that they are not recommended especially with all the suspension and knocking problems that they had and could cause warranty problems

Post #243476 Mon Nov 23 2009 8:02pm
Leo

Kenya 

Kilovolt wrote:
Hello NeilN,

22's on RRSport came as standard fit - from the factory -

probably fitted by the dealer, not factory- LR don't make 22" wheels.

Quote:

The wheels on the Disco3 are a completely different animal to those on the RRS. You cannot transfer them over

You can fit them, but the RRS 19" wheels are a bit wider. The most popular off-road tyre in 19" for D3 or RRS is the 255/55/19 Goodyear MTR. The only thing you can do to avoid kerbing your wheels (apart from not hitting the kerb Whistle ) is to fit taller tyres. The max diameter that will fit ok is just over 32".

Post #243477 Mon Nov 23 2009 8:03pm
Kilovolt

Big respect to the collective Bow down

Just been outside with an illuminating inspection device (that'll be a torch then) and the RRS is indeed sitting on 20" LR Fitted (Approved) shadow line alloys - got 22" inches on the brain Shocked No idea!!

So the question remains (please)? Is there a 20" alloy (from the LR approved stock) that dishes inwards and protects the metal? Even if we have to have 4 new rubber bits as well?

Would like to exchange missus except it is her RRS (Company Secretary) Shocked Hence why she is p*ssed off that I crimped it (Company Director) Embarassed

Many thanks. Duly put in my place?

And the car is booked in next week to have new mass damper suspension mod as the banging and thumping has returned (a couple of months ago)! Smoke me a kipper: I'll be back for breakfast.

Post #243484 Mon Nov 23 2009 8:47pm
NeilN

South Africa 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Atacama Sand

Leo/ Lespes/KiloV Thanks for the advice. It'll be 255/55 -19 Goodyears when i can find some decent rims.

KiloV - if the Company Secretary has a RRS, what does the Director have? I say she would be failing in her Secretarial duties if she didn't sh*t on your for crimping the rim - Take it easy.

Post #243522 Tue Nov 24 2009 7:04am
lespes

This might help

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic12742....oper+tires

Post #243538 Tue Nov 24 2009 10:41am
lespes

Quote:
Would like to exchange missus except it is her RRS (Company Secretary) Hence why she is p*ssed off that I crimped it (Company Director)

Not long after setting up my company, said something to the wife and she replied "I'm not your secretary............... oh I am ........................sh.t Exclamation"

anyway much easier/cheaper solution, sack her
Laughing

Post #243539 Tue Nov 24 2009 10:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1