RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Should a Used RRS be supplied with 2 sets of keys
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

When my R1 was stolen the insurance company wanted both keys and the fobs for the imobiliser. I lost one key for my MG and the other one "disapeared" while on the ferry from France back to the UK, glad I was driving the company car at the time so there was no MG in the Ferry. I went straight to the dealer and got a new key, took a week to arrive from Germany, they coded it to the car and told me they had removed the other 2 keys from the ECU but a couple of weeks ago while the MG was getting the supercharger fitted the garage found the original key I had lost and low and behold it worked without being recoded into the car, guess the first garage never removed the original keys.
I do have the 2 keys for the RRS, I use one and the wife uses the other so there is no spare. Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #241068 Fri Oct 23 2009 5:47pm
barnetda

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

The dealer has taken a copy of my log book and has said they will order another key for me. They want me to split the cost with them though Sad

The original owner has told them he has lost the spare. My RRS is garaged so i think its highly unlikely that the previous owner will try and steal it as it would be a little obvious.

Thanks for the help and very useful comments,

Post #241074 Fri Oct 23 2009 7:56pm
mccalia1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Cool. I wouldn't be comfortable buying or owning a car with just one set of keys.

Glad it's worked out Thumbs Up Gone: RRS : HSE : TDv6 : 57 : Java Black : Ebony : 20"

Post #241075 Fri Oct 23 2009 7:59pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I think the dealer should split the cost with the original owner! Why should you pay for what is expected? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #241077 Fri Oct 23 2009 8:52pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

When you have the new key made, be sure to have the lost one deleted from the cars memory. That way, the ar cannot be started or electronically opened. Though it can be mechanically opened. 2022 P440e AB

Post #241089 Sat Oct 24 2009 2:03pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Whenever a new key is programmed to the car, any other existing keys not present during programming (such as the one you have and the one that got lost) are always automatically disabled. So, make sure you give the dealer your existing key when they program the new one, as they will both need to be reprogrammed together to work. If the missing key is ever found, it will no longer start your car. Thumbs Up 

Post #241099 Sat Oct 24 2009 8:50pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

Do you get an option to swap your car if your not happy with it within so many days?

If so tell them its a key or a swap to a car with two keys if there acting up Whistle

Post #241101 Sat Oct 24 2009 9:58pm
noddyFFRR

Hi
I've been reading this post with interest. I'm from the FFRR forum.

I've recently had my Range Rover Vogue stolen, but thankfully got it back. However, the key used to take the car is still with the burglars.
I looked into a complete lock swap and the stealer wanted £890 Shocked so i looked around at alternatives.

A replacement key from a dealer is £160+vat. Then it needs to be reprogrammed.

I found a key on eBay, OEM, uncut and unprogrammed for £57. I took it to Timpsons yesterday and he checked my exisiting key in a small device he had. There was an LCD display on this device and it showed that there was a transponder in the key. He said he could cut the new key and programme it for £27 Thumbs Up Haven't tried it yet, but if it works, its a decent saving.

After this is done, I plan on taking the car to the dealer with both keys and getting them re-programmed, thus wiping out the stolen key.

eBay Link to key

Post #245278 Sun Dec 13 2009 2:52pm
slcar

United Kingdom 

The answer to this is to ask at the time of purchase if the dealer has all the keys or not. That way you can either negotiate a spare key before you collect the car or walk away from the sale.

I would say that you can only expect to get two keys when you buy a brand new car. If you ask trading standards they will tell you that only if the dealer stated in the advert that the vehicle will be supplied with extra keys will they be obliged to provide you with spare keys.

Post #245281 Sun Dec 13 2009 3:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12