RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Fuel tank removal - PUMP COST !!!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

tasmod

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Fuel tank removal - PUMP COST !!!!!!

TDV6 Fuel Tank Removal

Does anyone have an idea of the procedure. Can it be dropped without problem, does the fuel pipes follow it down?

I have a Sport with fuel tank lift pump not working which has stopped the car and brought up 'Engine Fault'.

Last edited by tasmod on Wed Oct 07 2009 5:01pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #239093 Mon Oct 05 2009 5:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tasmod

I should also explain that the whole car has issues which show up as 'indeterminate' on diagnosis.

Just before it stopped running, messages such as :-

Suspension failure, suspension raising slowly, suspension normal height only, EPB fault, HDC fault, both front sidelights inoperative. Various other minor items, all of which point to electrical problem, perhaps in loom ?

I was advised it may be a 'chafed' loom somewhere in the front chassis but I've only just started looking. Fuel lift pump failures are also a 'known problem' !

All fuses are OK and intact.

Post #239094 Mon Oct 05 2009 5:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PJPR01

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Cairns Blue

Sounds like you might want to check the battery first... PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #239096 Mon Oct 05 2009 6:07pm
tasmod

Checked, in top condition, also running from conditioner charger to be sure.

Post #239101 Mon Oct 05 2009 6:28pm
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

im guessing youve tried to the obvious fuel filter replacement? Apparently causes the above aswell iirc. WINNER - 2008 Best All New Photograph
WINNER - 2009 Best All New Photograph

Post #239111 Mon Oct 05 2009 6:54pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

TDV6 Fuel Tank Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #239133 Tue Oct 06 2009 12:40am
BKHK

Australia 

Bloody hell Tasmod...that looks like a big job. I would take it to a dealer or at least an independent of out of warranty....

Post #239135 Tue Oct 06 2009 2:24am
tasmod

Bobby,
Excellent, many thanks. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

The car is 05 plate and out of warranty.
The car has been in for full diagnosis, it has multiple faults which all started when the suspension message came up. Then various other electrical problems appeared along with error messages.
It was driveable but then suddenly cut out, as usual with these things in middle of countryside so had to be trailered back.

I'm now looking at it as dealers want £90 an hour for investigation work, as diagnosis cannot pinpoint the faults. They estimate 10 hours !
The pump failure shows up in diagnosis and showed up when we changed fuel filter and tried to pump into container with fuel line disconnected.

I'm certain the suspension compressor has now gone and I've obtained one for new for £200. I have a fuel lift pump from an accident damaged which I will fit. After testing for electrical continuity.

Others in the dealer net point out problems with looms chafing at the front somewhere where it enters the chassis. I will have to see, but now it's raining here and car is on drive as it just fits garage. When it's in I can't jack it up as it would hit joists Laughing Don't know why I should laugh there, but it's farcical.

I discovered the cause of one problem that had been complained about, blowing brake light bulb on drivers side. The rear loom was unsecured across bumper back and had rubbed through to copper on hanging chassis weight. Combination of braking then weight moving caused intermittent short which kept blowing brake bulbs.

Overall the electrical build quality of this car is abysmal. I found all wiring in front of car was unsecured, none of the securing clips were pushed into the holes. It only took me 15 minutes to find and secure them all. Seems they have been that way since build.

Rob

Last edited by tasmod on Tue Jan 14 2014 9:55am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #239180 Tue Oct 06 2009 11:04am
tasmod

Tank out, pump out, contained in white plastic housing with clips. It's open circuit.

Pump easily comes out of plastic frame and is a Walbro GSS503. Similar Walbro pumps sell for £75 ish but not a GSS503.

LR want £490 +VAT for it !!!!!!!!!!!!

They only sell everything, that is the plastic frame, fuel regulator, new filter, piping etc etc. Totally unnecessary.

I'm currently searching for a Walbro dealer who can source one at reasonable cost.

Post #239339 Wed Oct 07 2009 5:05pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Take it this isn't compatible ?? Confused

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-RANGE-ROVER-SPO...286.c0.m14

Post #239345 Wed Oct 07 2009 5:55pm
tasmod

Thanks Maw but that's an external petrol pump for a 4.2

This car has an in-tank model and for a TDV6.

There was one came up in Google search, it was for Ebay France which sold for 25 euros a week or two ago. That's more like the cost it should be.

Post #239347 Wed Oct 07 2009 6:15pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Embarassed best of luck

Post #239371 Wed Oct 07 2009 10:22pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

if this is the same pump as on a TDV6 D3, maybe the members on www.disco3.co.uk could help source one, or give pointers as they seem to be more hands on with repairs and mods Laughing (not counting you Whistle )

Post #239376 Wed Oct 07 2009 11:15pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Quote:
The fuel pump module comprises the fuel pump, the rear jet pump, the pump inlet filter and the fuel pressure regulator which is mounted in a manifold on the carrier. Only the pump module assembly and the fuel level sensors are available as serviceable components, the individual assembly components are not available separately.
 Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #239382 Thu Oct 08 2009 1:01am
tasmod

Yep, that's it Bobby.

Totally unnecessary as the whole unit is put together Lego style and is so easy a child could remove the actual pump.

If they are such an issue why don't they sell the pump alone. Profiteering?

Apart from sheer size of the tank, it's a fairly straightforward job. If somewhat smelly with all that diesel fuel to deal with. Hardest part is deciphering how to remove the clips on all the fuel lines Smile

I've had a quote for a pump removed from an accident damaged 2007 24k mile model at £230 , apart from a new pump this seems the most economical solution. The other was duff also.

I've still got the suspension to sort out yet. I've cleared down all the faults and until it is started again all seems clear (pump and suspension excepted)

There's a line of thought that the time spent trying to start the car again had lowered the battery voltage which brought up all the faults. Time will tell.

One of the galling things is that the car was provisionally sold for a good price when it decided to start all this. Needless to say buyer has dissappeared. Crying or Very sad

Post #239432 Thu Oct 08 2009 9:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>