Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > cornering lamps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

jbd-organ

Ireland 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
cornering lamps

Hi everybody

'Can't seem to get my cornering lamps to work on my 2005 Sport. I've checked the bulbs & fuses - they seem to be OK. Has anyone come across this problem or better still suggest a solution? The local Landrover garage can't seem to help. Thanks in anticipation. John D

Post #235946 Mon Sep 07 2009 10:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I didn't realise 2005's had cornering lamps - might that be your problem Laughing

My 2005 (55) HSE didn't as far as i knew.....

Post #235963 Tue Sep 08 2009 7:38am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If you have them you don't know how you managed in multistorey carparks without them! On night time drives with passengers they always notice and ask what the lights are that come on when I indicate or slow to go round bends at less than 25mph! There is no way you wouldn't know you had them on the car at night. The adaptive headlights were a £300 option on 2005MY TDv6 HSE's, they were optional on all the launch cars except the 2 S/C version which had them as standard and became standard later on according to my 2005/2006 and 2007 brouchures 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #235982 Tue Sep 08 2009 10:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jbd-organ

Thanks to Tim & MAW for their thoughts & experience Thumbs Up but with the bulbs wired in & the fuses present presumeably for this operation makes it something of a mystery! I would never have made a decent auto- electrician anyway.

Post #236041 Tue Sep 08 2009 8:35pm
mihakrapez

Slovenia 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

What exactly is the point of theese cornering lights. I saw them on some wv and merc cars, but I cant figure out what is the benifit.

Post #236049 Wed Sep 09 2009 7:39am
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

They illuminate is if around the corner, before the main lights get there...... i 'had' them on a FFRR loaner and they are good Thumbs Up

Post #236050 Wed Sep 09 2009 8:07am
islider

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

jbd,

you've probably already done this, but just in case. Are you checking the lamps work when in the correct scenario?

I.e. the car needs to be travelling at less than 25mph(can be stationary), with main headlights on and the indicator stalk in left or right position. Only the corresponding lamp to the indicator stalk, i.e. left turn left lamp, will come on.

IIRC they only come on in the above scenario.

But it's not the first time I've been wrong, and certainly won't be the last. Whistle

Post #236063 Wed Sep 09 2009 10:00am
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

they also come on when you turn the steering left or right (no need to signal). WINNER - 2008 Best All New Photograph
WINNER - 2009 Best All New Photograph

Post #236070 Wed Sep 09 2009 10:21am
islider

VW

You had me wondering then, so had to check.

According to the manual the adaptive lights use the cornering lamps in addtion when turning the steering wheel. No need for indicator stalk to be activated.

Cars not fitted with adaptive lights only operate the cornering lamps when the indicator stalk is set to left or right. Interestingly no mention in the manual of any speed limit in this scenario.

But again could be me misunderstanding the manual.

Post #236078 Wed Sep 09 2009 10:49am
Tim in Scotland

I'm sure it is when you are doing 25mph or less, but haven't checked the good book. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #236079 Wed Sep 09 2009 10:50am
islider

Manual has speed limis for adaptive lights use of them, 18 to 44mph. Then if 44mph exceeded only come back on below 37.

But for some reason I have 25mph in my head as well.

Made me think now if you don't have adaptive lights, like me. If you're on the motorway or dual cwy with a normal car in the left hand lane and you indicate left, the lamp is going to shine straight at them from the side.
Must be surprising for them Laughing

Post #236080 Wed Sep 09 2009 10:56am
Tim in Scotland

25mph is when the directional lights come on, IIRC these are no the same as the Adaptive lights.
Here is the description of the adaptive system from the 2005 Brochure
"The Bi-Xenon Adaptive Front Lighting system (their capitals not mine) varies the headlight cast onto the road according to the direction and speed of the vehicle. No matter whether dipped or high beam is used, the Bi-Xenon lamp moves side to side and up and down. The beam niether lowers under heavy braking nor lifts during acceleration. It also ensures that the headlights, mimicking the movement of a driver's eyes, follow the curve of the road and give a more effortless night-time drive." I must admit that I have never noticed this in night driving and it is the main headlights not the small directional "side" lights that we are talking about. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #236087 Wed Sep 09 2009 12:18pm
islider

Tim,

I was referring to the Adaptive Front Lighting System (It's in Caps in the manual as well) using the cornering lamps in addition to the upward, downward, left and right movement of the main headlights.

According to the manual, when and how the cornering lamps are activated is different depending on whether or not the car as Adaptive FLS fitted.

Think that might have been the confusion in early replies as to whether or not 2005 cars had cornering lamps.

As far as I know all RRS have had cornering lamps, its the AFLS which was either an option on everything but the S/C to begin with.

Seems less relevant now though as jbd hasn't returned since the early posts, think he may have given up after being told he didn't have cornering lamps fitted, but he could see them on his car. Laughing

Post #236117 Wed Sep 09 2009 3:46pm
jbd-organ

'Grateful for the imput from ALL of you. It's certainly caused quite a bit of interest, & NO, I haven't given up! I'm just waiting for some sooper dooper person with a fantastic explanation as to why they are fittted BUT not being allowed to work. A L/R contact has suggested "have Land Rover programmed the ECU to stop them working as they might not have been legal in ROI to have these lights illuminated ?"

I'm out of my depth!!

The plot thickens !! JBD Crying or Very sad

Post #236123 Wed Sep 09 2009 5:15pm
islider

Sooper Dooper person - that would be Bobby then.

It never surprises me how many people on here have more knowledge than some Dealers.

Anyways Good Luck, it could be a market specific thing. If you have the manual it's covered on pages 212 for Adaptive Lights, and 213 for normal Bi Xenons.

Interestingly the manual refers to them as 'static bending lamps', on pages 212 & 3, and cornering lamps in the index. Now that's just confusing. Whistle

Post #236126 Wed Sep 09 2009 5:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>