RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > engine oil flushing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Frozen of Wiltshire

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue
engine oil flushing

Noticed something odd the other day and wonder if I should worry about it? I had my TDV8 serviced around the same time as my TD5 defender this year - about a month ago or so, and both got the usual servicing and oil change etc. As usual, I checked the oil dipstick a few weeks after to see if it needed topping up and found my TDV8 oil was black, while TD5 was still clear (as I'd expect after not many miles from an oil change). Anyone seen this before? Is it normal for TDV8 oil to blacken this quickly after a change?
If it's not normal, I thought an engine oil flush might be a good idea to clear out whatever lingering muck is in there - has anyone done that and is it sensible or any problems/recommendations?

Thanks lots for all answers Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE, Buckingham Blue with Ebony Black
Defender 90 TD5, Tonga Green

Post #233638 Sun Aug 16 2009 6:23pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The oil in all the diesels I have owned has been black after I have got them the 20 miles home after a service. I suspect that these days the service lads (I hesitate to call them technicians as most don't seem to know how to operate anything other than a playstation) use a suction device so when it looses suction the oil must all be out............ so then they put in the measured amount and invariably overfill the engine as they didn't get all the old oil out. Hence black oil immediately after a service. With my 90 this doesn't happen as I take it to an indy and they usually have 2-3 days with it so can leave it on a ramp over night for all the old oil to drain out - with that car I also always get it back with the oil 3/4 of the way up the dipstick and it is also relatively clean.
The reason that dealers use a suction device these days is that it is quicker than letting the old oil drain out and time is money! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #233639 Sun Aug 16 2009 6:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Leo

Kenya 

Do you mostly do short drives, e.g city driving? The EGRs put back a lot of Censored into the engine, so oil does go black but it shouldn't so soon after a service, unless they didn't change the oil, or did what Tim says above.

Post #233641 Sun Aug 16 2009 8:36pm
Texstar

United Kingdom 

Comparing it with a TD5 is not the best thing to do, as this has an extra (centrifugal) oil cleaning device,which keeps the oil remarkably clean (for a diesel). Wink RRS TDV8 Buck Blue (no, not now in my dreams). ..........D3 TDclankety clankV6 ............BMW 318i

Post #233646 Sun Aug 16 2009 9:49pm
Frozen of Wiltshire

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

thanks for the info guys - much appreciated. Didn't know about the TD5 oil cleaner - which makes sense now you mention it. And I do mostly country B-roads and medium journeys with a few longer. Not much motorway driving and is usually pretty continuous without the city stop/start.
Thanks Tim for explanation, maybe I'll get them to flush it out properly and see if that makes any difference next time. Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE, Buckingham Blue with Ebony Black
Defender 90 TD5, Tonga Green

Post #233693 Mon Aug 17 2009 8:58am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I suspect they will want to charge you a lot of labour or keep the car for 2 days to ensure all the oil is drained via the sump-plug, if there is one or it isn't hidden by some vast under engine tray that aids aerodynamics and takes 6 men 3 hours to remove! I remember trying to do my own oil change on the TD4 Freelander1 I had and gave up because of the plastic large " sumpguard" that needed a ramp, 6 hands and special tool to remove. Some owners had a special guard made out of alloy sheet and designed in a special flap that allowed access to the sump plug and oil filter. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #233705 Mon Aug 17 2009 9:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Leo

Kenya 

There is good access to all relevant bits, so it's not hard to change the oil yourself. You could even use a better grade than the Ford standard that LR use.

Post #233755 Mon Aug 17 2009 2:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1