RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Have I now got the infamous knocking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

bryanlittlefair

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Have I now got the infamous knocking

Guys, I know and have read the posts on 'the knocking' so dont flame me straight away.. Can someone who was a confirmed case (this is sounding like swine flu) confirm my symptoms ?

I have a 2005 RRS and have had it since new, yesterday, I was on a country lane after coming off a dual carriage way when I got down to around 30 I started to hear this knocking coming from the front passenger wheel, closely followed by the glance from the wife with the "how much is that going to cost this time" look.

The knocking is there again today you can only hear it at around 30 mph, you can also feel the knocking in the steering wheel.

i this a wheel bearing, something in the steering rack or the infamous suspension knocking.... it doesnt feel like the suspension, it feels like the wheel / steering .....

any one any experience of this ?

Post #224184 Mon May 04 2009 1:50pm
Leo

Kenya 

Do you have Dynamic Response? In any case, it may just be the ball joints & bushes that need changing to the new spec ones.

Post #224195 Mon May 04 2009 3:06pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I believe the "knocking" can be present on vehicles whether they have Dynamic Response or not. I had a TDv6 without DR and had a pretty severe case of the knock safter about 5,000 miles. The dealer changed all the usual suspects several times - but the knocking returned each time. Then traded her in for a TDv8 with DR. Fine for about 20,000 miles then the knocking appears. Same knocking symptoms as before. Again she has been in for all the usual suspects, plus the additional therapies like new type ball joints and removal of front resonance dampers. Worked fine for about 2 month then knocking starts coming back and now is as bad as ever. There is one stretch of road near home which really shows the knocking up to its full glory (gory). 30 - 40 mph on a poorish tarmac surface has the gremlins under the car swinging their hammers.

Seriously though, the knocking feels like there are worn ball joints, loose shock absorbers and knackered poly bushes all at the same time. But only some speeds and certain surfaces show it up. Most of the day the knocking isn't apparent and when it is the steering and handling don't feel any less effective, but you can "feel as well as hear" the knocking. The vehicle will be in again soon for another therapy session - at which time I will get a quote to swap out for the 2010 MY where I understand a newly designed front suspension / steering system has been necesary. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #224216 Mon May 04 2009 8:04pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

I had the knocking - on my TDV6, had the ball joints and bushes changed - was all quiet for a day or two, and then back again.......get used to it!!

Post #224219 Mon May 04 2009 8:12pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Just had the front and rear anti-roll bushes swapped out today after complaining of the knocking noise. The drive home has been very quiet so I hope it has cured it for longer than some have had. oddly, it has sounded worse in the mornings when the car has been sat overnight and is "cold"...

Post #224351 Tue May 05 2009 7:50pm
flight

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Ive had mine repaired four times... Big Cry

Make sure theyve done the tracking after the jobs done... I found out that theyre supposed to and one of the dealerships I took my RRS to didnt...

Do the Discovery's suffer from the knocking "Characteristic"?
Sad

Post #224746 Fri May 08 2009 8:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1