RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Dual Battery and UHF Antenna Mount
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

stephenw

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze
Dual Battery and UHF Antenna Mount

All, the mods continue. This weekend I added a second battery to power the Engel 40lt fridge, UHF radio and camping lights. While it's only a 48amp/hr battery, this type recharges quickly so suits our camping mode of normally only spending one/two nights in one spot. A quick drive and the battery is fully charged again. I'm yet to complete all the wiring. I plan to add an extra outlet down near the tow bar to connect to our off road camper trailer. This will allow the car to charge the deep cycle battery in the trailer on the move or when stationary, allow the solar cells on the trailer to charge the vehicle battery.

The second battery is separated from the vehicle system by a voltage sensing relay. This connects the two batteries when the main reaches 13.7 volts and separates them at 12.8 volts.

The UHF antenna is mounted on a Rhino Rack bar (the tracks are Rhino's as well - a LOT cheaper than the LR versions at AUS$150). The coax is fed down under the black finisher panel so it looks really neat. The connectors allow me to remove the roof bar. The connector, when not in use, sits in the track channel.

Click image to enlarge

Second Battery

Click image to enlarge

Voltage Sensing Relay

Click image to enlarge

Rhino Roof Rack and UHF Antenna Mount

Next up is the addition of HID or Zenon bulbs to the headlight units. As I didn't buy the LR bi zenons with the vehicle (AUS$2500), I plan to mod the current halogen lights. I have bought a 55w HID kit (AUS$270) and will fit next weekend. The LR system is only 35w (I think). I'm yet to make a decision on whether to upgrade low or high beam yet. I will depend on space within the headlight unit. Ideally, I'd like to do both (and therefore will have to buy another kit). I want to mount the ballast within the headlight unit. If this works ok, this has applicability to those with the bi-zeon from LR as the spots in these units is only halogen anyway.

Steve RRS TDV6 MY07 gone.
RRS TDV6 MY10 just arrived!

Post #101340 Mon Apr 09 2007 8:04am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Excellent post with some good pictures Thumbs Up

In the first picture what is the blue pipe with the brass fitting on the end of it for Question

When you have done the headlamp mod, post some pictures, sound interesting Thumbs Up some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #101343 Mon Apr 09 2007 8:55am
stephenw

The blue hose is the output of the ARB compressor. I have the remainder of the hose hidden under one of the rear seats. I just connect it up when I need to use the compressor.

More images here.

http://rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic6122.html

Post #101349 Mon Apr 09 2007 9:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ivery819

G'Day Steve
You've been busy busy Smile Smile
Like you, this is not my first Range Rover and it is interesting how in our market (Australia) there is a different priority on original specification and accessories from Europe.

Fridge........absolutely essential

Lights........every Range Rover I have owned needed light upgrades
I also opted out of the original equipment adaptive xenon lights for two reasons.
i)I didn't like the slight vibration evident on sustained corrugated dirt roads
ii)The 35w xenon low beam and 55w Halogen high beam just aren't strong enough.
I purchased 2x 50w xenon sets but have run into a slight problem with low beam being too bright for oncoming drivers when the high beam is adjusted for best distance. I propose to dismantle the lights and see if I can increase the differential angle between the beams..? I also have relocated the fog lights further down in the spoiler and am looking for a set of 140mm pod mount pencil beam lights to go where the fogs were originally.
These will also be 50w xenons. At this stage it looks like I will have to fabricate the mounts myself.

CB Radios............This has saved my bacon on more than one occasion as most of my distance driving is done where there is NO mobile phone reception. It's great to be able to call for help if you need it.

I like the optima battery.........these are unbreakable

Keep the information coming I ,for one , Razz really appreciate it. Razz

Post #101352 Mon Apr 09 2007 9:24am
stephenw

Hmm, I'm glad someone thinks the same as I do - you can never have enough light out the front - particulary when there are lots of roos and cattle about. On my Disco, I had a couple of Hella 4000 driving lights with 35W HID kits. They produced great light for about 1000m. Sure helped alot. I've kept the lights when I sold the vehicle, but am at a loss as to a place to put them on the RRS. Unless ARB come up with a bullbar like the D3 one, there is no real place to put them on the RRS.

I'm toying with putting them up on the other Rhino bar on the roof but I think this would look a bit silly. However, for a trip outback, this might be my only option.

I'd be interested in the fog light replacement. They don't do anything anyway.

Post #101354 Mon Apr 09 2007 10:04am
ivery819

Steve
Speaking of bullbars...
We need BULLBARS not scrub bars
I need to be able to hit something like a wombat/roo/sheep at about 80kmh and have virtually no damage, or at least drive home.
At the moment on the RRS this is nearly a right-off event.
I use my P38a for a lot of night country driving and am on the third major front end rebuild..with many minor ones in between. At the moment my coolers and condenser are banana shaped and there is more araldite in my grille than plastic. You learn to live with cracked fog lights and broken plastic on the side lights.
I recently saw a P38a with a D2 bullbar fitted and believe it is nearly a bolt on fit. I wonder if the same goes for the RRS and D3, as the chassis are very alike. Naturally I am assuming that if they are airbag compatible on the disco then they will be on the Range Rovers.
NOTE TO THE POMS
We don't aim to hit these animals and when I say 80kmh the incident usually starts at 120-140kmh.
Some of these animals are intent on committing suicide, some are just dazzled by the lights and some are just stupid. I have tried various audio warning systems with mixed results but am convinced that my sheep dogs are suffering premature deafness as a result.

Post #101359 Mon Apr 09 2007 10:39am
Jimmy Salsa

Australia 
Re: Dual Battery and UHF Antenna Mount

stephenw wrote:

The UHF antenna is mounted on a Rhino Rack bar (the tracks are Rhino's as well - a LOT cheaper than the LR versions at AUS$150). The coax is fed down under the black finisher panel so it looks really neat. The connectors allow me to remove the roof bar. The connector, when not in use, sits in the track channel.

Steve

Am having some problems fitting my new UHF system and could use some help. The installer I took it to was clueless when it came to how to run the wiring from the aerial and where to mount the aerial.

Have been thinking about the rhino racks so that could solve the mounting problem but would love to know where you ran the wiring.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. 'Black Betty' Java Black RRS 07 TDV6

Post #223931 Thu Apr 30 2009 1:56pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

The wiring can be run out the back light cluster and up inside the rear pilar. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #223933 Thu Apr 30 2009 2:56pm
stephenw

Jimmy, happy to take some more images for you on how the coax was run. Just let me know.

Basically my setup has the UHF head unit and mike in the centre console box and the transceiver is mounted on the horizontal panel just above the pedals under the steering wheel. It has an extension speaker mounted there as well. Power is drawn from the second battery through a existing hole in the firewall.

The aim was to have it hidden when not in use.

The coax is run to the rear under the carpet and plastic door jam covers. There is plenty of space as I also run the power for my secondary sub woofer amp, another HD 12v cable for the fridge as well as all the cables necessary to run the relocated OEM CD/Radio head unit cause it has been moved to the rear of the vehicle. See the following post.

http://rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic6085.html

Post #224006 Fri May 01 2009 10:16am
FAT_RRS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black

Can you get me the link for the Rhino roof rack? What roof rails are you usin on your RRS? They don't look like the LR rails. I can see that the cross bars are the Rhino...

Thanks!

Post #224040 Fri May 01 2009 4:56pm
stephenw

Yep, the rails are Rhino Rack as well as the cross bars. They are MUCH cheaper than the LR OEM version and you then have access to all their accessories. There is a picture of them in their on line catalogue. (page 15)

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/

Post #224056 Fri May 01 2009 11:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1