RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Freelander's replacement?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

vip-culture.com

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black
Freelander's replacement?

Quote:
Some observers reckoned we'd see the all-new Land Rover Freelander as early as this year's Detroit Show, but it was conspicuous by its absence. However, the advanced state of the car in these pictures shows it's close to production-ready and, instead, we now expect to see the finished car for the first time at the Paris Show later this year, and sales should start late in 2006.

It's clear from the pictures that the new Freelander looks very similar to the existing model, especially around the nose where Land Rover trademarks such as the grille and clamshell hood are obvious, even under the camouflage.

However, we expect that several styling cues from the LR3 and Range Rover will find their way onto the new Freelander. Look closely, for example, and there appears to be a new air intake ahead of the front passenger door, as on the LR3.

Another change on this new model is that the central location of the rear license plate seems to confirm that the spare wheel will not hang on the rear door, as on the current model. Likewise, the position of the handle on the tailgate seems to suggest that it will open from the top, whereas the current model's is a side-hinged affair. The Freelander itself is believed to have grown slightly in every dimension, with a wider track and longer wheelbase, but head of design, Geoff Upex, has already said the ute will be basically the same size as the current model. What will improve, though, is the car's packaging, so it should provide more space for both passengers and luggage. The pictures also seem to show that the rear doors have grown, making for easier access.

Despite what the similar looks might suggest, the new Freelander actually sits on an all-new platform, a stretched version of the C1 platform that underpins the Ford Focus, Mazda 3 and Volvo S40. In due course, we expect to see a 'baby' Volvo 4x4, the XC50, on the same building blocks.

The new Freelander is expected to be an even more capable vehicle off-road than the current model, with a stiffer chassis and increased ground clearance. Most of the components will come from parent company Ford, but upgraded to ensure the new SUV performs as well as we expect of a Landrover away from Tarmac. The gearboxes and engines, likewise, have been upgraded to improve their off-road performance and will include stronger V6 units that are crucial to the car's success in America.

The car in the pictures is a five-door and, unlike the current model, that will be the only body style available. The slow-selling three-door and soft-top models are not being directly replaced. However, rumours persist that we will eventually see a 'baby' Land Rover which will sit below this new Freelander in the Land Rover range, possibly in 2008 and including a front-wheel drive model.

Brenda Priddy & Company
 www.vip-culture.com | 06 RRS HSE | 06 Odyssey Touring

Post #17528 Wed Mar 15 2006 3:45am
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

All new web site just for the new Freelander (or LR2 or whatever it'll be called):

www.freel2.com Wink Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #17529 Wed Mar 15 2006 5:32am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
vip-culture.com

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black

good work ! i think you just about cornered the market Smile www.vip-culture.com | 06 RRS HSE | 06 Odyssey Touring

Post #17530 Wed Mar 15 2006 6:11am
paredes_fontanals

United States 
too similar?

I don't like that it looks too similar to the LR3. They are taking advice from Porsche designers I guess. Diego Paredes Fontanals
----------------------------
Audi A4 soon a RRS S/C
MV Agusta Brutale F4

Post #17531 Wed Mar 15 2006 7:05am
MDP

United Kingdom 

It does look very DISCO3 'ish ???????? 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #17565 Wed Mar 15 2006 10:58am
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Is that an official pic Question RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #17570 Wed Mar 15 2006 11:12am
Martin

United Kingdom 

No, the top pic is chopped up from this Disco 3 pic:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...amp;pos=68 Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #17574 Wed Mar 15 2006 11:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JayMann

Its that same Censored car Mad RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #17580 Wed Mar 15 2006 11:29am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I'm a great fan of the current Freelander and would be first in the queue for one of the new ones...................... but I've got the Sport now. I will certainly be looking for a test drive in one from the local dealer I hope it doesn't end up looking like the top photo - I'm sure that is one of the prepro D3s and not a freelander - it looks too similar to the prepro D3 V8HSE I drove about 3 weeks before D3 official launch of Disco 3 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #17586 Wed Mar 15 2006 11:43am
Pelyma

England 

With the 3.2l engine this going to fly! We have one booked already, for the wife, but I bet I won't be able to convince her to have that engine Crying or Very sad

Post #17591 Wed Mar 15 2006 11:59am
JayMann

Laughing Laughing RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

Post #17597 Wed Mar 15 2006 12:07pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The 2.2 Diesel should be a goodun too - especially if you add one of TC's chips!! I think that engine is already in Xtype jags and Mondeos and get rave reviews by the road testers 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #17607 Wed Mar 15 2006 12:27pm
Andrew R

Wales 

Just spotted this link from Landrover Chronicles.....

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/...spy-photos cheers
Andrew
-------------------------------------------------
RRS TDv6 SE, Bonatti Grey/Ebony/Rhodium
-------------------------------------------------

Post #21829 Fri Mar 31 2006 12:51pm
Martin

United Kingdom 

Also seen on Freel2.com at http://www.freel2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20 Wink Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #21833 Fri Mar 31 2006 12:57pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
The 2.2 Diesel should be a goodun too - especially if you add one of TC's chips!! I think that engine is already in Xtype jags and Mondeos and get rave reviews by the road testers

One of my team has a 2.2 X-Type as a company car. Likes it, but says it's a bit laggy.

Then again, sure TC could eliminate that little niggle! Wink Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #21861 Fri Mar 31 2006 1:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>