RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Range Rover a better investment than the bank!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Range Rover a better investment than the bank!

A newspaper report suggests that buying a new Range Rover is actually safer than keeping your money in the bank!

The London Evening Standard reports on an unfortunate American Banker who was recently moved to the London Office of his bank. First thing he did, understandably, was buy a new Range Rover, by selling some of his banking shares to finance it.

Now that the finance world has turned upside down he has been moved on to another office and had to sell the Rangie.

However even though he suffered a 50% depreciation hit in just 6 months the Rangie was still worth EIGHT TIMES more than the shares he originally sold to buy it.

So he lost LESS money buying the Range Rover.

The Standard further adds, though, that in Icelend, where there is a glut of recently offloaded Range Rovers, they are now being unkindly referred to as 'Game Overs'

Source: http://www.lro.com/news.php?sid=229&page=1

Cool Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #205190 Tue Jan 13 2009 8:43am
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

The same happened about to me 9 years ago during the dotcom boom when i lived in the UK, i sold some of my companies freebie shares and bought the wife a TD5 approximately 1 year old for 13K cash, plus 7K trade in on her TDI.

I sold it 4 years later for approximately 13K GBP to a certain James something in Oxfordshire.. The shares at the time had collapsed from $108 US dollars at their peak to exactly $1.50 (look up the highs and lows of Orange Business systems - nee Equant)

Therefore if i had kept the shares i would have lost something like 12,750 pounds in value vs the 7K trade in for the TDI which was basically wrote down anyway Thumbs Up .. i had a friend who actually held on and lost something like 78K in pounds because he believed they would rally after a few years Laughing

The markets continue to cycle i can see Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #205208 Tue Jan 13 2009 9:59am
McBunny

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Same thing happened to me when buying a new watch. It is worth exactly the same amount if not more than what I bought it for, the shares are worth about 25% of what I sold them for! Thumbs Up Very Happy RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #205276 Tue Jan 13 2009 11:47am
PauloAmore

Scotland 

What kind of watch did you buy? 2022 P440e AB

Post #206550 Sat Jan 17 2009 3:17pm
kcsun

United Kingdom 

Probably a S/S Daytona?

kc

Post #206580 Sat Jan 17 2009 6:44pm
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

wish i could get a s/s daytona without paying such a premium for it Big Cry Big Cry

Post #206593 Sat Jan 17 2009 8:11pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

kcsun wrote:
Probably a S/S Daytona?

kc

Great Avatar..........oh how I wish I was the authoriser at Apple IPhone apps.............

I WANT IBOOBIES NOW Big Cry L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #206602 Sat Jan 17 2009 8:42pm
McBunny

PauloAmore wrote:
What kind of watch did you buy?

Well, since my Daytona likes to lose parts (that's true Rolling Eyes Confused ) and it's to blinkyblinky to meet customers when wearing it I bought a watch which is even more beautiful, a lot more practical and from a manufacturer most people don't know even if they can read it. Smile And, well, since I am a true Travolta-Fan, guess what I bought... Cool Bow down RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #207287 Wed Jan 21 2009 3:05pm
Korenai

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Breitling? Very Happy

Post #207889 Fri Jan 23 2009 1:25pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Zilch wrote:
The same happened about to me 9 years ago during the dotcom boom when i lived in the UK, i sold some of my companies freebie shares and bought the wife a TD5 approximately 1 year old for 13K cash, plus 7K trade in on her TDI.

I sold it 4 years later for approximately 13K GBP to a certain James something in Oxfordshire.. The shares at the time had collapsed from $108 US dollars at their peak to exactly $1.50 (look up the highs and lows of Orange Business systems - nee Equant)

Therefore if i had kept the shares i would have lost something like 12,750 pounds in value vs the 7K trade in for the TDI which was basically wrote down anyway Thumbs Up .. i had a friend who actually held on and lost something like 78K in pounds because he believed they would rally after a few years Laughing

The markets continue to cycle i can see

Actually Zilch you lost nothing because they were free shares in the first place................................. all you lost was a few sheets of paper! So you did even better 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #207940 Fri Jan 23 2009 2:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Actually Zilch you lost nothing because they were free shares in the first place................................. all you lost was a few sheets of paper! So you did even better

all the blood, sweat and tears counts for nothing then Big Cry Laughing

What i should have said is that a portion of my share portfolio was worth more in the form of a 2nd hand landrover, than the shares retaining their value over a very short period Shocked Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #208122 Sat Jan 24 2009 7:26am
McBunny

Korenai, you won 100 points! Thumbs Up

@Jimmy_75000:
I received an email a few days ago with a similar calculation but even better: If you sold your stocks of a certain company (I don't remember which company it was) to buy beer and drank all the beer then the deposit for the empty bottles is worth more today than the shares you sold! Shocked Rolling with laughter RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #209024 Thu Jan 29 2009 2:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1