RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Radio on for 4 hours = flat battery is this right ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jammy

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver
Radio on for 4 hours = flat battery is this right ?

How long should your battery last with the radio on before it goes flat ?

Working on an SC on a 55 plate
Spent approx 3-4 hours fitting side steps Saturday afternoon. Radio was on (in Low power mode ? keys were not in the ignition) interior light was on every now and then (I did manually switch it off several times).

Finished the steps, came to start it - nothing flat battery Big Cry (radio was still working). Had to jump start it with the Mrs's X-type. Crying or Very sad

Car started first time though Very Happy

Would you have expected the battery to run flat under those conditions Question

I do 400 + miles a week, so the battery gets a good chance to charge.

Can I test the battery Question
Any advice on new battery - what should I get

Thanks in advance
ashaw10 Thumbs Up

Post #198847 Mon Dec 08 2008 11:41am
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

IIRC Radio switches off after 20 - 30 mins w/o keys in to prevent flat battery...

What was date of registration ....... any chance in warranty for the dealer to replace?

I have had battery discharge tested before. Call your dealer for replacement model number and £ and phone that spec around if the warranty option doesn't hold out.... Neutral

Best of luck keep us posted Thumbs Up

Post #198860 Mon Dec 08 2008 1:46pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

OK ignore warranty Q - just seen other post ... Confused

Post #198863 Mon Dec 08 2008 1:47pm
McBunny

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

That definitely does not sound right. The battery should do more than four hours I think.
And if the radio still plays the car should still start or at least try to start (did you hear the starter?) if it doesn't but the radio (and other electrics, lights for example?) still works, there is something wrong and I fear it is not the battery... Confused RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #199112 Wed Dec 10 2008 5:05pm
jammy

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver

Thanks McBunny, that's what I thought, the battery should last more than 4 hours. The radio was still working but I got the impression the battery was almost flat.

After I jump started it last Saturday, I've used the car every day since without any issues.

A few months back I had some rear DVD screens fitted, the fitter had my keys and they were in the ignition, can't be sure electrically what was on during the install but after sat 2.5 hrs same result flat battery.

apart from last Saturday and during the screen install, I've had no issues with starting.

The car is 3 years 3 mths old and I've had it for 7 months. Assuming it's on the original battery (there will be a date on the battery somewhere I haven't checked yet) maybe it's due for a new one.

I just thought I'd mention in the forum in case someone else had had a similar issue.

Think I'll try and get the battery checked, before I plunge for a new one.

Thumbs Up

Post #199154 Wed Dec 10 2008 7:23pm
McBunny

Hm, that sounds like a flat battery.

Another car of ours acted similar to yours and when they measured the battery voltage it all seamed normal. But when I wanted to start it again, it didn't, so they measured the voltage while I tried to start and it suddenly dropped as soon as you tried to start the car. It was not possible to load the battery properly again, it wasn't really empty, just old and broken. With a little more than three years on a high-tech car like the RRS I don't think that is highly impossible.
In fact I'm thinking about changing my battery before the next holiday trip (car is 2,5 years old), just to be sure. Cool

So, I'd say with a new battery everything should be well again hopefully! Thumbs Up RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #199160 Wed Dec 10 2008 8:25pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

I used the RRS as a torch once when fixing some fencing in the field, it was an emergency and I remember it was freezing cold, the lights were on full whack for some 3 hours......alas the battery was dead, but the radio still worked!!

I left until the morning, came out and she has never misbehaved since Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #199253 Thu Dec 11 2008 1:34pm
McBunny

That's funny so in case of a flat battery if the car won't start you can at least listen to some music to chear you up while waiting for the mechanics. Clever! Thumbs Up

But why didn't you leave the engine running? In three hours it will "drink" less than five litres of diesel which is significantly cheaper than a new battery could have been. Wink

edit:
(And leaving the engine running on a standing car for three hours would also drive the green guys mad which is a good thing! Mr. Green ) RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Last edited by McBunny on Thu Dec 11 2008 3:52pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #199276 Thu Dec 11 2008 3:41pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

McBunny wrote:
That's funny so in case of a flat battery if the car won't start you can at least listen to some music to chear you up while waiting for the mechanics. Clever! Thumbs Up

But why didn't you leave the engine running? In three hours it will "drink" less than five litres of diesel which is significantly cheaper than a new battery could have been. Wink

Mine is a supercharged Big Cry 5 gallons more like and TBH, I was too intent on getting the fencing fixed to worry about a battery. Luckily, it was a temporary falter and all was well again Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #199277 Thu Dec 11 2008 3:43pm
McBunny

If the s/c makes you cry maybe you want to change cars and drive something more economical? Whistle

Laughing RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #199283 Thu Dec 11 2008 3:55pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Where would the fun be in that. I would have nothing to moan about....nothing Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #199285 Thu Dec 11 2008 3:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1