RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Bio-Diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

oilman151

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black
Bio-Diesel

A few months ago I replied to a post about Bio-Diesel and indicated that I was about to go into production. I know a few guys were interested (Kam) and asked me to post some info once I was up & running.

Well I've so far made 5 batches of about 50 litres each and all have been successful. I've used it in my Defender and my partners' Renault Grand Scenic. Neither vehicle now need to visit petrol stations. Cool

The overall opinion is that it makes the engines smoother, quieter, give more mpg and smell better! I've no figures to back this up, but the Defender leaks exhaust fumes into the cab and the smell from Bio-D is much better than from Hydrocarbon Diesel. We recently drove from Llanelli to Luton Airport & back (twice) in the Renault and got over 52mpg. (1.9 litre TD engine). Very Happy

Cost is working out between 19 and 21p/litre - that would mean 20p a litre I guess! Laughing
However, that is for the ingredients/electricity and doesn't take into account the original cost of the processor or my time.

They say you can make a batch in 6 hrs, but I generally do it over two days, so that I leave a standing period overnight during the dewatering process - makes for cleaner fuel and less chemical useage.

Most expensive ingredient is methanol, but I'm getting that in bulk for 75p/litre. I use about 9 litres in a batch.

Since I bought my processor, the manufacturer has brought out a bigger machine that will do 120 litres in a batch in the same timeframe.

I don't have to buy the used vegetable oil as my other business generates it and I would have to pay someone to take it away for recycling.

The question all the RRS owners is asking is "will it work in my RRS?"

Well I can't answer that as mine is petrol so I can't try it out. All I would say is that if mine was diesel, and my waranty had expired I wouldn't hesitate to use it - just change out the fuel filter after the 1st two tankfuls as Bio-D tends to clean the tank, pump and fuel lines and the cleaned out sludge from hydrocarbon Diesel collects in the fuel filter.

The savings I'm making should have paid for the processor in a couple of months. You are allowed to make 2500 litres per year without paying any duty. You don't have to inform HMRC but you do have to keep records of how much you make in case they ever take an interest. Whistle

Hope that is of interest to some of you.

Regards
ANT Range Rover Evoque 5 door on order.
2006Java/Alpaca/4.4HSE/PTIS/Tracker/pp/Tasmods/Black side repeaters/Custom exhaust (gone but not forgotten!)
Land Rover Defender 110 CSW 200 TDi blue (Offroad prep'ed).
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
Aston Martin DB9 Tungsten Silver
Another Citroen C4 Grand Picasso (Christinemobile)
1990 Mini Cooper SE - classic! (now sold)
New addition - 1972 Triumph Stag Pimento Red

Last edited by oilman151 on Thu Oct 09 2008 10:01pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #191480 Thu Oct 09 2008 8:42pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Ant - how much was the basic kit?

BTW 2 cod and chips please! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #191485 Thu Oct 09 2008 9:21pm
oilman151

Cost of processor

I actually got mine off eBay. I bid 960 pounds for it and with enough ingredients for 250 litres of Bio-D it came to 1040 pounds.
I got it from a place in London who were originally putting their processors on ebay and selling them as fast as they could make them. The day I went there, 5 people came in to collect units. They do free training, a comprehensive manual and really good support and back up. They also do the full titration kit and PPE included with the processor.
I believe they now sell them directly instead of putting them on ebay and the price of the 50 litre unit is 997 pounds and the 120 litre unit 1697 pounds.
The company is GoldenRay the website is www.goldenray.co.uk
They sell all the necessary chemicals as well as used vegetable oil which they clean and dewater ready for you. I believe they sell this for 64p/litre.
I used these people as they were very knowledgeable, helpful and their unit is made of steel, not plastic like some on the market.
Hope this helps
ANT
BTW - I have to write pounds as I'm in Canada and there's no pound sign on my keyboard - only $ Mad

VA - do you want the cod battered or crumbed? Range Rover Evoque 5 door on order.
2006Java/Alpaca/4.4HSE/PTIS/Tracker/pp/Tasmods/Black side repeaters/Custom exhaust (gone but not forgotten!)
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso

Post #191488 Thu Oct 09 2008 10:33pm
BigMart

United Kingdom 

Hi Oilman,

how finely is the bioD filtered.

the big risk to the RRS is the particle size because of the very delicate piezo injectors.

I know some forum members are filtering to 1 micron and using 100% bio.
This filtering should take longer but gives much cleaner fuel.

If you arent filtering that fineley you risk blocking the RRS flter , wearing the injectors out or partially blocking them.
If you arent keeping the car very long you probably wont see the damage but if you want to keep the car for a few years I'd consider filtering finer if you dont already.

Cold mornings are another problem. If you garage your motor you will probably wont see a problem but straight bio (ISTR) is much thicker at 5'c and below.

Thie thick fuel wont do your pump or injectors any favours.

This subject is fascinating , I for one am very interested in 20p per litre.

Good luck

Mart Jaguar XF 3.0D Portfolio
RRS TDV6 HSE 2006 , Zermatt , Gone

Post #191511 Fri Oct 10 2008 6:31am
oilman151

Filter size

Hi Mart,
Thanks for the reply and interest.
I'm currently filtering to 5 microns as the fuel is being used for my 21 year old Defender and a 4 year old Renault and seem to be working fine.
I'm not using it for my RRS as mine is petrol.
You are correct though, 1 micron filtration would be far better but does take longer and adds to cost.
It would be good to get some feedback from anyone who's used Bio-D in a RRS or D3.

ANT Range Rover Evoque 5 door on order.
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso

Post #191524 Fri Oct 10 2008 9:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1