RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Running a SC with lpg?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

I don't know what plans the UK govt. have in mind for LPG but I reckon the massive price differential won't last for ever.

If indeed it does start to creep up then the break even/point of profit moves further away Thumbs Up Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #175705 Mon Jul 07 2008 3:14pm
jammy

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver

In response to servicing :- Some LR dealers will not touch the car, I know one in Coventry that doesn't allow gas converted vehicles on it's premises, however another, not too far away in Hinckley does. (but they do have their own project company that installs gas conversions). So I guess you have to do your homework near where you live.

As far as the manufactures warranty goes, your still covered, but are not covered on the parts that comprise of the conversion (you will have a separate 12mth warranty on those parts from the conversion company). Also parts of the engine directly affected by the conversion i.e. injectors, exhaust sensors etc and parts that may have been removed and re-attached during the conversion are also no longer covered.

When the 3 year LR warranty expires, you will still be able to extend it (with the LR recommended third party one), however I've been advised to consider other third party warranties (that may suit a gas converted car better), but make sure you read understand all the small print i.e. what's covered, what's not covered and obviously inform them it's been gas converted. Again you need to do your homework. Thumbs Up

Post #176827 Fri Jul 11 2008 5:16pm
Cornelius Vermuyden

England 

The downsides are, obviously, warranty, and to a minor extent, exclusion from the Channel Shuttle.

Post #176904 Sat Jul 12 2008 4:46pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Don't bother........LPG loses its tax break in 2 years time......expect to pay the same or near as we do for petrol. You will be out of pocket BIG TIME...........

These fleecing Censored 's will get you whether enviro-mentally friendly fuel is used or not......its all about taxation and what they can get away with..........and us drivers being the biggest suckers of all Surprised ......just keep on rolling in the money for the treasury.....god love us Mr. Green L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #176914 Sat Jul 12 2008 8:02pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

a commercial post if ever I've seen one

Last edited by Kaine on Sun Jul 13 2008 12:20am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #176915 Sat Jul 12 2008 8:09pm
Cornelius Vermuyden

England 

Tee Hee. Here he comes, "Toe-Rag Tom, the Bridgenorth Blogger! !! Bit late there K, too keen to get at the faggots and pays?? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #176923 Sat Jul 12 2008 10:57pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Cornelius Vermuyden wrote:
Tee Hee. Here he comes, "Toe-Rag Tom, the Bridgenorth Blogger! !! Bit late there K, too keen to get at the faggots and pays?? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

eh?

I really have no idea what you're on about - however your post was clearly a commercial post - everytime someone asks about things related to my business I will give advice, however never abuse the forum and post prices/specs etc unlike what you have chosen to do at this time. Just my opinion CV Whistle

Post #176931 Sun Jul 13 2008 12:08am
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Commercial content removed - if JE wish to sponsor the site and advertise please contact me Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #176935 Sun Jul 13 2008 12:19am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cornelius Vermuyden

England 

NP Martin Cool

Post #177050 Mon Jul 14 2008 12:39am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

jammy wrote:
In response to servicing :- Some LR dealers will not touch the car, I know one in Coventry that doesn't allow gas converted vehicles on it's premises, however another, not too far away in Hinckley does. (but they do have their own project company that installs gas conversions). So I guess you have to do your homework near where you live.

As far as the manufactures warranty goes, your still covered, but are not covered on the parts that comprise of the conversion (you will have a separate 12mth warranty on those parts from the conversion company). Also parts of the engine directly affected by the conversion i.e. injectors, exhaust sensors etc and parts that may have been removed and re-attached during the conversion are also no longer covered.

When the 3 year LR warranty expires, you will still be able to extend it (with the LR recommended third party one), however I've been advised to consider other third party warranties (that may suit a gas converted car better), but make sure you read understand all the small print i.e. what's covered, what's not covered and obviously inform them it's been gas converted. Again you need to do your homework. Thumbs Up

I know of the dealer you are talking about, I know the Sales guy there and also a chap who works at the LPG installers. My dealer and this chap told me that the LR warranty is totally voided once an LPG conversion has been done. JE Engineering said the same thing so I have heard it from 3 independent sources now. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #177141 Mon Jul 14 2008 10:50am
bex

Well I can tell you that I had a VW Beettle converted to LPG and VW tried to play the 'no warranty card' when an engine sensor failed.

A strong solicitors letter made them pay up given the fact that the onus was on them to prove that the sensor failure was down to the LPG conversion. They could not do so and I was reimbursed in full Smile

Post #177213 Mon Jul 14 2008 1:39pm
jammy

RRUK wrote:
jammy wrote:

I know of the dealer you are talking about, I know the Sales guy there and also a chap who works at the LPG installers. My dealer and this chap told me that the LR warranty is totally voided once an LPG conversion has been done. JE Engineering said the same thing so I have heard it from 3 independent sources now.

RRUK, thanks for your response - Maybe I'm being told what I want to hear, as I'm considering having mine converted.

Do your comments only apply to the 3 year manufacturers warranty. Do they equally apply to the extended Dealer third party warranty (ie for the 4th year of ownership) and also non Dealer third party warranty.

Looks like I need to make a few more calls.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #177215 Mon Jul 14 2008 1:46pm
jammy

Well I've taken the plunge, had the gas conversion on my SC a few weeks back.

Paying 50p a litre, tank has a gas fill capacity of about 73 litres. Approximate gas range is about 240 miles. Equivalent mpg compared to petrol at £1.20 per litre is 32-38 mpg based over 3 weeks, 1200 miles.

Performance normal driving - no difference

Performance during kickdown - no difference upto 4500 rpm. At 4500 rpm system auto switches to petrol (feels like a gear change during transition) - this is a requirement of the SC engine (to help with cooling I believe), gas runs hotter than petrol. I was aware of this characteristic before the conversion.

All said and done I'm glad I took the decision to convert, I do 400+ miles per week, nice feeling only paying 50p a litre. Very Happy

Post #183886 Mon Aug 18 2008 5:30pm
Cornelius Vermuyden

England 

Quote:

Paying 50p a litre, tank has a gas fill capacity of about 73 litres. Approximate gas range is about 240 miles. Equivalent mpg compared to petrol at £1.20 per litre is 32-38 mpg based over 3 weeks, 1200 miles.

Performance during kickdown - no difference upto 4500 rpm. At 4500 rpm system auto switches to petrol (feels like a gear change during transition)

Smile Thumbs Up

Post #184037 Mon Aug 18 2008 11:32pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

jammy wrote:

Performance during kickdown - no difference upto 4500 rpm. At 4500 rpm system auto switches to petrol (feels like a gear change during transition) - this is a requirement of the SC engine (to help with cooling I believe), gas runs hotter than petrol. I was aware of this characteristic before the conversion.

All said and done I'm glad I took the decision to convert, I do 400+ miles per week, nice feeling only paying 50p a litre. Very Happy

Good move, let us know how it goes........seems our dictators come govt has a policy in place that states they will give 3 ears warning on any taxation policy regarding LPG........not that means anything....good luck Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #184042 Tue Aug 19 2008 12:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12