RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > DVLA number plate transfer - how long?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DJH

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
DVLA number plate transfer - how long?

Does anyone know how long it takes the DVLA to transfer a private plate from one car to another? Question I'm sure when I did my last one I just went to my local DVLA office and it was done there and then. But my dealer reacons it takes 7-10days! Confused

My reason for asking is I was supposed to be picking my used RRS up from my local dealer tommorow and it turns out that I can't now untill probably next week because;

a. They are still waiting for DVLA transfer AND (this is the best bit),

b. Their bodyshop aren't even starting work on it until tommorow!!! Evil or Very Mad Big Cry (all they have to do is touch up a couple of small marks on bonnet and around wheel arches!)

On Saturday it will be two weeks since I signed the papers and paid my deposit. It was on the forecourt for Censored sake! Evil or Very Mad
Sorry, but getting frustrated as not only have I been looking forward to getting the motor but also for one reason or another (I won't bore you with it here but) I could really do with it by the weekend.
The dealer did actually offer me a Freelander for the weekend if I need it but not really the point! Sad

On a related issue, I hope my dealers service dept are better at contacting me than the sales dept - not the best experience I had at a dealer, but hey, "they're really busy" and I wouldn't want to interrupt! Rolling Eyes

Feel better now Ive got that off my chest . . . I just wany my new toy Twisted Evil Thumbs Up

Last edited by DJH on Wed Jun 18 2008 8:20pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #173300 Wed Jun 18 2008 7:40pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

I was at DVLA today to was told 7 days as well RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #173305 Wed Jun 18 2008 7:50pm
DJH

Hmm, maybe I'll cut the dealer some slack then.
Although, still pee'd about how long they've taken to drive it round the corner to touch it up (the paint that is!)
Embarassed

Post #173306 Wed Jun 18 2008 7:52pm
JayMann

Ask to speak to the service manager or DP and ask him why your car still hasn't been sorted? RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #173310 Wed Jun 18 2008 7:55pm
BKHK

Australia 

DJH

Cut him some slack (on the registration anyway)

My father had the same trouble in the UK with his FFRR registration transfer having bought off the forecourt. It was 3 weeks I believe. He was pretty mad by the end of the process.

Here is Oz, I ordered my personal plates on line, they were made and arrived within 4 days and it took a 7 minute phone call to allocate them to the car. When I swapped cars to to the RRS, the dealer's staff did the transfer from car to car while I drank their coffee! The whole process was less than an hour.

Your system in the UK is quite cumbersome for vehicle registration.

Post #173335 Wed Jun 18 2008 9:18pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news.

The quickest way to do a plate transfer is to retain your existing plate, pay £105 instead of the £80.
You can then send off for the retention cert, your V5 with the normal **07*** (or whatever) will come back, and a few days later you'll get your retention cert with your private plate on it. Then you can take this down the local DVLA office with your new car's V5/Tax disc and it will be done on the spot for you.

Plate transfers, i don't know why but are currently taking the DVLA ages to get through, my sisters X3 recently was sitting in bedford for a total of 2 weeks before the paperwork landed and the plates had been done. Will have to be patient with the dealer on this, and just keep harrassing them to keep checking the post as it may get lost with admin as well.

We always do ours ourselves now, and we just ask the dealer to put the private plates (made up) in the boot and when the paperwork lands, you can screw/stick them on yourself.. means your car will be handed over with the existing **57*** plate on it, but you do retain a level of control with it all.. I HATE TRANSFERRING PLATES.. is the bain of my life.. so far in two years my KAM plate is on its 4th car now...

Post #173352 Thu Jun 19 2008 12:43am
DJH

Thanks guys, I'll just have to be patient i guess (not one of my strong points Embarassed )

The system in Oz sound much simpler than ours though!

Kam, think that must have been how I did the tranfer last time hence why it was quicker.

Thanks again. Bow down

Post #173366 Thu Jun 19 2008 7:32am
bt11

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Hi DJH,

My miss's works for the DVLA so here you go..

And i quote, lol, "The official line is to tell customers it will take upto 7 working days but currrently its a 48 hr turnoround! This does however depend on your local DVLA office"

Just something else to add, in the past few weeks local DVLA offices now have access to the National Insurace network so no more waiting days on end for a Censored covernote to turn up to insure your vehicle.. they can now look at the system to prove you have insurance!!!..

Hey sounds simple to me but as anyone will know dealing with the DVLA they work in the dark ages!! ( won't tell that the miss's) Mr. Green

Hope this helps

Cheers Thumbs Up Range Rover Sport TDV8 OVERFINCH ECU remap/tuned, 22" Satin Black Tigers, Black/Black, sideskirts, tints, clear ind, 09 upgrades +++

Plus others......

Post #173433 Thu Jun 19 2008 11:25am
Lookers Park Royal

Kam is spot-on! Thumbs Up

As most of you know, we are a London dealer and cherished transfers seem to be more popular than conventional number plates. It will be in the dealers interestes to hand the car over to you (for cash-flow reasons), so I would be surprised if they were intentionally stalling.

Currently it takes us a minimum of 7 days to carry out a transfer at our local office, and unfortunately when paperwork gets lost Shocked our worst has been 3 weeks!

The best suggestion is to pay the additional £25 to put the plate on retention, drive it for a couple of weeks on the normal reg number (until the V5 and retention document come back in your name) and then nip into your local licencing office and get the plate put back on. As we are at our licencing office on a daily basis, we offer to look after the paperwork on behalf of the customer, and inverably end up fitting the new plates for them too. (all part of the service experience Whistle )

Hope this helps?

James Thumbs Up

Post #173452 Thu Jun 19 2008 11:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DJH

Cheers all. Thumbs Up

So bt11, you're other half is to blame then... only kidding, thats good info. Wink Hind sight is a wonderful thing, should have paid the extra £25 (would have if I'd have known) but hey! Sad

I think the dealer are more than likely stalling because of the paintwork issue to honest but I've resigned myself to the fact I'll not have a new toy untill next week now. Crying or Very sad Big Cry

Post #173455 Thu Jun 19 2008 12:28pm
Vogue

48 hrs to do a plate transfer - yeah right! My last one took 6 weeks to come through. Lesson learned... the quickest way is as said above by KAM, put your private plate on retention and then when you have your new vehicl go down to the DVLA local office with the certificate. If the garage posts it in it will take ages - trust me - I was absolutely bouncing.

Previously you could just walk in with the paperwork and do it while you waited - no longer!

Post #173516 Thu Jun 19 2008 4:08pm
DJH

Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

I've got it!!! The dealer pulled out all the stops and I picked up mt 07 2.7TDV6 HSE RRS. Love it!
Unfortunatly, so does the missus Sad
Take back all I said about the dealer (well most of it)
Anyway, not to sound like a moaning old git Wink but I do have a couple of issues with it;

The memory seat function does not seem to work - followed the manual but nothing (elec seats work but not memory function)

All the brake pads have been changed but keeps coming up with brake warning light and message on dash.

There doesn't appear to be any courtesy lights come one when door opens (ok now I'm getting a bit petty I know)

Ow, and does anyone know if you can dim/ turn off nav screen at night as it illuminates the whole inside of the car for everyone outside?

Other than these blips, it's a Censored ing great car!

Post #173784 Sat Jun 21 2008 9:20am
JayMann

Good stuff mate Thumbs Up

I got my stuff back for my plates as well yesterday

The memory is a bit rubbish

Courtesy lights don't come on in the back but there is a way to fix this (how good are you at DIY?)

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic5552.h...esy+lights courtesy lights fix

Not sure about the sat nav RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

Post #173786 Sat Jun 21 2008 9:38am
DJH

Thumbs Up Seems like the DVLA has got a spurt on!!

Confused Confused Hmm, not sure about the lights thing - far too complicated for me!

Thanks though.

Post #173795 Sat Jun 21 2008 10:33am
JayMann

Same i looked at the lights thing....

No thank you Laughing RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

Post #173798 Sat Jun 21 2008 10:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1