RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Planning to buy one (currently an x5 owner)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

peacemf

Planning to buy one (currently an x5 owner)

hellooo

well i had a bmw x5 3.0d for a while, and now its acting up to the point where i might part exchange it for a RRS.
I have RHD x5 (UK), but im a student Smile and need the car in the czech republic......so currently the x5 is in Brno (a city in CZ) for repairs Sad

Any advice on what to look for in a RRS - i planned to get a used one?

Also anybody else have experience from jumping from the x5 ship to the RRS?

Also is it better to go for diesel or petrol (and then convert to LPG) ?

many thanks for the advice Smile

Post #172731 Fri Jun 13 2008 9:48pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 
Re: Planning to buy one (currently an x5 owner)

Welcome aboard!! Thumbs Up

peacemf wrote:

Any advice on what to look for in a RRS - i planned to get a used one?

Loads of resource on here, the best on the net - best to have a generic search to gain information....it is endless!! Shocked

peacemf wrote:
Also anybody else have experience from jumping from the x5 ship to the RRS?

Yep. Best move I made, yes the X5 is a good car, but is not in the same league of the RRS......I had the 4.4 petrol V8 (i'm a petrolhead). You will not be disappointed, for me, the RRS has better fit and finish, better drive and way better looks......it still commands looks for what is now approaching a 4 year old model....so it has to be a winner!! Thumbs Up

peacemf wrote:
Also is it better to go for diesel or petrol (and then convert to LPG) ?

The 2.7 Diesel is no drag racer, but it is also not too much of a slouch considering it is hauling around such a huge weight. The TDV8 is {apparently) a beast to be reckoned with and offers reasonable MPG for such a great engine - power wise 0-60 it is only 1.5 secs slower than the Supercharger and offers HUGE Torque Shocked.

For outright power, it still remains the one to have - the 4.2 Supercharged lump - great 0-60, great torque and a fantastic whining sound that no BMW can offer...the S/C, again for me, is a great engine, albeit very thirsty - not so much of a problem if you convert to LPG. Rolling Eyes

Good luck with the hunt. Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #172733 Fri Jun 13 2008 10:09pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

To be fair, I have to disagree with WW and say that IMHO you may be slightly diappointed with the interior quality of the RRS vs X5.

I know because we nearly bought an X5 and DEFINITELY thought the quality was a notch, of not 2 or 3 above the RRS.

Having said that, look what we went for - speaks for itself really Thumbs Up Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #172772 Sat Jun 14 2008 12:09pm
EX-X5!

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I sold an X5 petrol sport for my RRS diesel HSE.

Both great cars. For my money the X5 is faster, the RRS slightly better handling, has SLIGHTLY better quality interior, but not as good paint. The RRS looks better, (mine) has more equipment, is no doubt better off road and in bad weather (snow etc), ......

They are both very good cars. I dont regret buying my RRS; but there again it is more just a nice change than a staggeringly better car.

If you can afford it change - if not stick to the X5 a bit longer I say!

Post #172843 Sun Jun 15 2008 8:58am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

when the word 'interior quality' is used, what do people actually mean - better fit and finish, better design or just better quality materials (or all three for that matter). Personally I think the RRS interior is very nice, however like ST I do think the competition has the edge - the RRS needs the FFRR feel to make it stand out above the competition imho

Post #172846 Sun Jun 15 2008 9:31am
peacemf

hi
thanks for all the reponses so far Smile

ohh i do have another question
in my x5 (and according to alot of MB owners over at benzworld.org) there is sometimes a lag between when you press the accelerator and when the car starts moving.
In some instances, like at a junction, when you want to turn into a road, and there is a car coming towards you, the car just doesnt "go" causing the oncoming car to slow down Sad
is that present on the RRS?

on interior quality i must admit the new x5 has a cleaner interior and centre console compared to the RRS. but im angry with my x5 for the numerious small small problems, its only 6years old!!!!!

Post #172860 Sun Jun 15 2008 12:05pm
EX-X5!

To be honest, my X5 went because of the gremlins. There was always some niggling problem cropping up - not what i've been used to on BMW's.

Turbo lag - The 2.7 Diesel is the KING of the LAG i'm afraid. You could put your foot down at a junction, get out of the car, change a wheel, go for a pint and be back in the cab well before she actually lurches forward.

Shocked

Post #172861 Sun Jun 15 2008 12:31pm
redrover

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

EX-X5! wrote:
To be honest, my X5 went because of the gremlins. There was always some niggling problem cropping up - not what i've been used to on BMW's.

Turbo lag - The 2.7 Diesel is the KING of the LAG i'm afraid. You could put your foot down at a junction, get out of the car, change a wheel, go for a pint and be back in the cab well before she actually lurches forward.

Shocked

the latest software update eliminated all that lag for me Very Happy TDV6, MYO7 Java with Ivory leather, 19 inch wheels

Post #172868 Sun Jun 15 2008 4:29pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

to be honest I never found the TDV6 that bad for lag - my old Touareg 2.5tdi was awful for it; in fact sometimes it was even dangerous, however the RRS was pretty good for me

Post #172869 Sun Jun 15 2008 4:31pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

EX-X5! wrote:

Shocked

Laughing Just about sums it up Thumbs Up Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #172904 Mon Jun 16 2008 5:54am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

An age old argument Wink

Pros and cons of each... personally, I think the RRS is a better value proposition than the X5. I also think the X5 handles better than an RRS but if you get an RRS with dynamic response the gap is narrowed. The RRS will kill the X5 if you happen to go off-tarmac though, obvously. I like the RRS interior in terms of ergonomics, but the X5 interior (esp on the new model) has a higher quality feel to it.

The best RRS to buy in today's climate is a second-owner TDV8 - a fantastic engine, pretty good mpg for what it is and actually sounds not unlike a petrol engine Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #172908 Mon Jun 16 2008 7:45am
EX-X5!

so there we go. We're all arguing so that must mean one thing: I'm right!

Er, no, I mean..that it must be so close that it's all down to taste and personal preference!

On the handling thing, I used to race and have done loads of trackdays if that counts for anything. On the limit I would say that the RRS is actually better handling, although I grant you wouldnt think that driving the 2 steadily back to back as I have (plus BMW's pedigree in this department).

Anyway, these things are big 2 ton trucks!!!!!! They're both quick enough in everyday terms I reckon.

Post #172915 Mon Jun 16 2008 8:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1