RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Favourite "road" runs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Favourite "road" runs

OK so it has been a Bank Holiday and the roads have probably been packed but you must have a favourite "Cracking Drive". I did mine this afternoon - lots of miles but left home and drove to the south end of Loch Lomond then north along the A82 all the way to Fort William. Even on a heavy traffic day like today I was driving against the traffic so the run up the west side of Lomond was brilliant - lovely weather, clear and sunny with snow on the highest peaks. The section from Tarbert to Crianllarich isn't that nice being a narrow road but once at Crianllarich the road opens out again and then it is one long blast up through Glencoe to Ballahulish. Came back through Glencoe but at Crianllarich I took the A85 back to Lochearnhead then the A84 to Callander and then back across country to home via the Lake of Menteith and the twisty backroads.
Here it is on Google Maps
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?utm_campaign...gle%20maps

A lot of miles for a day trip but the roads make up for it, especially if you can do it midweek at this time of the year! Added bonus was that due to the slow section on the north west side of Loch Lomond my mpg managed to stay above 29mpg despite using every opportunity to welly it! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Mon Mar 24 2008 8:43pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #161273 Mon Mar 24 2008 7:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NickM

United Kingdom 

This may sound silly - but my favourite piece of road is the M6 TOLL road - have been told by local plods that they can't stop you speeding, unless you're driving dangerously (ie if lots of cars on the road or in bad weather conditions) i raced two bikers up to 160 for 35 miles last summer on a Sunday morning......very memorable

Post #161283 Mon Mar 24 2008 8:17pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

How can they not do you - it's the public highway, even if you are paying a fee to use it..........................
Personally I have never used the toll, since it opened I've never been held up by slow/stopped traffic on the old road and saved myself a couple of ££££'s! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #161284 Mon Mar 24 2008 8:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NickM

United Kingdom 

I forgot you're from Scotland Laughing

Well I have used it over 50 times and I have never seen police on there - something to do with it being a private highway...and RRS Plod who want to shed light on this....feel free...

Post #161286 Mon Mar 24 2008 8:24pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Favourite Route =

A686 - runs from Haydon Bridge in the Tyne Valley over the Pennines to Penrith in the Eden Valley.

The road is a heavenly combination of sweeping bends, tight (very tight !) twisty bits and some full on blasting straights. The views are sublime, with a combination of valley, moorland, forest and hillside and some panoramic vistas accross the Eden Valley with The Lake District as a back drop that would make any conniseur of scenery stop to write a poem ! Add to this the fact that much of the route is shadowed by a network of Green Lanes that are very RRS friendly and you have the perfect day out in a RRS that I could ever imagine.

I defy anyone to drive this route without agreeing with me that it is one of the best drives in Europe.

Better still, it is virtually deserted during the week and even at weekends it is quiet before 10am or after 4 pm. And in winter, there is always a strong possibility of some "very interesting" weather to add spice to the mix.

Razz Thumbs Up Wink RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #161289 Mon Mar 24 2008 8:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1