Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Knocking on V8's Door?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

NickM

United Kingdom 
Knocking on V8's Door?

James, (CHurst)

Just had a call from one of your guys, and as you know I'm thinking about a TVD8 HSE - when I ask about a knocking sound (first brought to my attention on here) he said he knows nothing about it and first he's heard. Also a user of the Forum apparently. I know your guys are not going to admit it freely - but truth be known it's the only single thing stopping me buying one (ok and you screwing me on my p/ex! Very Happy ) But to be honest would prefer the hold your hands up approach!

By the way - I know you guys are keen to get rid of stock before 08 reg...but any chance you have a Black/Black coming thru for 08 reg?

Your thoughts would be appreciated...

Post #157473 Thu Feb 28 2008 2:16pm
Lookers Park Royal

Nick,

Many thanks for the note; and I was aware you called earlier.

I must be totally honest, hold my hands up and say that I'm not aware of a knocking noise issue with specifically TDV8 RRS. I've had a quick scan through the 'General' 'Technical' and 'Maintenance & Modifications' sections and can't see anything specific on that subject.

Again, I'll hold my hands up and say that I have seen posts referring to suspension knocking which I am led to believe from the forum responses that it is more prevalent on vehicles with Dynamic Response (TDV8 Std). I understand that you were suggesting engine knocking as opposed to suspension? Question I'll have to read the posts in more detail in future as it sounds like I may have missed something!! Whistle

That said, we are on our 11th TDV8 demonstrator in a row and have not experienced any knocking issues (engine or suspension). Thumbs Up

With regard to changing you car, we do have a handful of Java Black 2008.5 TDV8's available for March, and we'll look after you in as best way that we can! Wink

Give Mike a call!

James Thumbs Up

PS. If you can post the URL to the thread I would be interested to have a read.

Post #157491 Thu Feb 28 2008 5:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It isn't every RRS that has this "fault" it seems to affect some and not others - I've done 5200 miles of so far knock free motoring in my TDv8 and there are plenty of others here who haven't had the "problem".
TBH I wouldn't let the off chance that your TDV8 might have a knock from the highly complex and sophisticated suspension put you off buying one. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #157495 Thu Feb 28 2008 6:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Have to agree with Tim, done about 8k miles since last October and had no knocking noises.
PS. I never bought mine from Charles Hurst or have any connection with them, just a satisfied owner Thumbs Up Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #157496 Thu Feb 28 2008 6:23pm
Tim in Scotland

My TDv8 is my second RRS.
My first RRS didn't have the trick suspension and I must admit that I was sceptical as to the benefits of it, but the TDv8 does sit much flatter on the road in the twisty bits than my non-DR equipped TDv6, which rolled quite a lot in fast cornering. Also it doesn't ruin the very nice suspension set-up that the TDv6 had 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #157497 Thu Feb 28 2008 6:33pm
exalld

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I'm on my 2nd TDV8 and have no knocking sounds or any problems with either. I suspect this is a rare issue. Test drive the car and ensure you are happy there is no noise. 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8, Stornoway Grey

Post #157504 Thu Feb 28 2008 7:08pm
Steve in germany

Germany 

4 months old and no "Knock" All I can say is I can handle a car having a fault or breaking down, what i can't handle is not receiving the correct care and response when it does happen. When I had the D3 it had two suspension failures, LR Assistance were second to none, ensuring i was collected promtly and taken to the hire car, LRA regulary informed me on the progress of the repair and then offered me the option of the D3 being transported back to me or colecting it myself and leaving the hire car with them to deal with. The system worked perfectly when I needed it in UK and whilst travelling through mainland Europe. To me, thats of upmost importance. Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Did have: RRS TDV8 2008.5MY
Did have: Q7 3.0TDi S-Line/Tech/Comms pack
Did Have: Disco3 HSE

Post #157506 Thu Feb 28 2008 7:18pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

Thanks James, and yes the suspension knocking was what I was referring to. I take on board that there are far more satisfied people out there than not. It would just ruin the whole driving experience for me if I had a problem. I have never been in a car with such a smooth ride as my TDV6 HSE. Everything I have had before from a SL500 to my 650, or an Audi A8 to a 735 has come close. So in answer to my own concerns, I will go for the TDV8, just get me in quick for a new car and I'll be in to pick it up - subject to a nice gesture discount and equipping it as I like and of course the full colour code is a necc. requirement. But thanks everyone for putting my mind to rest!

Post #157515 Thu Feb 28 2008 9:09pm
Tim in Scotland

NickM how long have you been driving Land Rovers? Sounds like you might be a bit of an LR "virgin" - Landies make clunks and clangs that no other cars make! It's in the nature of their underpinnings and even the very latest cars are not immune from the odd disconcerting whiz and whirr from the braking and suspension systems. LR have managed to engineer out most of the transmission clunks that the earlier Discos and Defenders had - it's part of their character - a bit like BM's and Audi's having tooth rattlingly hard suspension.
Glad to learn that you like the TDv6 enough to be thinking of a TDv8 - you won't regret changing up and the ride of the TDv8 is a little harder than on the v6 but it is hardly noticable and probably due to the standard very low profile tyres on the 20" wheels more than anything else. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #157519 Thu Feb 28 2008 10:45pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

Yup just been driving one for 2 weeks and yes I already want to get to a V8. Had a SC when they first came out,,,,and the 10 mpg scared me. But love my V6 as have it fully colour coded, si it looks very black but also very original too. S knocks aside, looking forward to my new one - by the way my V6 doesn't put a foot wrong...no knocks, squeaks or anything

Post #157528 Thu Feb 28 2008 11:32pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Good positive info on this thread. The whole knocking thing seems to be far from rare on this forum, so I wonder how well reported it is by those owners who have never heard of us but have reported it to their dealers. I'm still surprised by how a lot of LR have specified it as a characteristic. They obviously aren't doing enough analysis of their service work, or are just simply missing the bigger picture. This is why it's good for dealers to hang out on here.... there's a lot to be said for the "real world" Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #157553 Fri Feb 29 2008 10:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1