RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > HELP!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Val101

HELP!

hi all

ok I was after a rrs tdv6, however, with the price of a full tank of petrol costing more than my monthly mortgage payment my wife isn’t too convinced. Also the idea of road tax going up to £400 doesn’t help my cause in convincing my wife in considering a rrs as our next buy.

So wot is a man to do, I wanted your opinions on this idea that I have come up. I am now thinking of purchasing a rrs supercharged. I know this drinks a hell of a lot of petrol, but the plan is to have it converted to lpg, I have looked at j.e engineering and thought I’d give them the job of doing the conversion. We are planning on keeping the rrs for a long time, so any cost of the conversion should hopefully pay for itself over the coming years.

What I want to know is a few things, I have been told that performance isn’t affected a great deal, im not too bothered about performance anyway, so that’s a not a problem even if it was affected. But do u get the same mpg as you would normally get with petrol?

The other question I have is considering an lpg vehicle produces less co2 where does a person stand with regards to road tax, would I still be paying £300+ or would the tax man take into consideration that the vehicle has been converted to lpg and reduce my road tax fund, or is that too much wishful thinking?

Im no good at maths, but what do you guys think about this idea, is it going to save me any money going for a supercharged lpg rrs or would it be the same as buying a tdv6 without a lpg?

Any help would be great.

Thanks all

Post #156836 Fri Feb 22 2008 5:23pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Not sure about LPG someone will be along who might be able to help. Re car tax - only cars registered after August 2006 are liable for the increased car tax - older RRS's are the normal rate. (Not 100% sure on the cut off date - so please feel free to correct me!) 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #156840 Fri Feb 22 2008 6:55pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

Cheapest petrol RRS would be the 4.4, but you may as well buy SC. There is a taxi, no s**t, in Aberdeen running on LPG. Although I believe the tank is in the boot.

Some on this board believe that replacing the spare wheel with a tank compromises the rear crash safety of the car. i think that is b*****ks.

SC FYI - Does about 15 mpg if you mix town and motorway driving.
Hammer it and you will get 8 mpg.

LPG though will invalidate the RRS warranty.

There was talk of an official conversion / lpg version a while back. I'd like to hear from anyone that knows more about that? 2022 P440e AB

Post #156842 Fri Feb 22 2008 7:06pm
Val101

hi guys

thanks for the replies. thinking about the mpg figures it would look like that a lpg conversion is a waste of money. an average conversions costs £1500-2500.

now if you look at the mpg figures for the sc rrs and the tdv6 it breaks down as follows -

sc rrs approx 15mpg
tdv6 approx 30mpg

lpg costs around half the price of diesel, but you only get half the mpg, so am i right in saying that a sc rrs with lpg and a tdv6 would cost the same to run regarding mpg/fueling costs?

Post #156912 Sat Feb 23 2008 10:17pm
Jonathan

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Hi, I am no accountant either nut surely the cost of buying a s/c far outweighs the cost of tax, petrol/diesel or wahtever - you are paying for a premium vehicle with all the extras you get in that ort of car.

Take the plunge and but the TDV8 -it's an amzing car with loads of power - overtaking is a dream. I have hadmore poweful and sportier cars but this is by far my favourite - and I moved my parents 5 foot freezer int their home this weekend in the boot.

It's not a financial equation - it's about the car.

J Jaguar XKR Convertible
MY 2012 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography in Fujian White....Mmmmmmm
Range Rover Evoque 2.2 Prestige in white - gone
Porsche Boxster S White with lots of extras! Gone
Lotus Elise 2011 Touring for sunny days - gone!

Previously....
RRS TDV8 Black 57 Plate
645ci
Jag XKR Convertible (my wife still loves this car!)
BMW 530i
BMW 328i (I loved this car)
Golf R32

Post #156913 Sat Feb 23 2008 10:44pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Firstly the popular misconception is that an LPG conversion increases your MPG - it doesn't.

What it means is that you have 2 fuel tanks, one with regular unleaded and one with LPG.

When you run the car on either source, in a 400bhp 2.7 tonne 4x4 you are not going to suddenly go from averaging 15mpg to 30.

What you will do, however is be filling one of the tanks with an amount of substantially cheaper fuel and there-by on a cost analysis you could equate the lower monthly fuel bills to running a more economical car as your fuel bill for the month would work out that certain amount cheaper.

Re warranty and UK road tax I don't know as I live abroad but your RRS will still be deemed an uneconomical, environmentally unfriendly vehicle.

All the more reason to buy a S/C then, I know I will be next time around and preferably the new 5.0 V8 which incidentally is supposed to be significantly cleaner and more economical (Clutching at straws, anyone?)

Hope this is some help and this is most unlike me to be reasonably sensible on a post!

BOOBIES!!!!! Normal service is resumed... I thank you! Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #156917 Sat Feb 23 2008 11:02pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Not forgetting the standard tank in the SC is larger than the one in the TDV6, so that single tank of fuel will cost you even more! Have you discounted the TDV8? If so, then the TDV6 is the way to go. All depends on how much you can spend of course Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #157038 Mon Feb 25 2008 11:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1