cyberjes

have you tried it? its always good to hear from someone who's tried them out

Kaine

Post #151415 Sat Jan 12 2008 4:22pm
cyberjes

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Kaine

Nah... unfortunately not yet.

Seriously considering though. (Frankly, still waiting for my wife's confirmation. Big Cry )

Anyway, they look pretty good, huh?

Has anyone tried?

Post #151416 Sat Jan 12 2008 4:31pm
landroverstormer

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Kaine,

I'm a bit of a dullard when it comes to home cinema, so have a couple of questions you may be able to help with..............?

1. The Gefen item you originally posted looks like it sends HDMI wirelessly. Does this mean that I can have all my audio/visual equipment stored away from the TV, and then send the HDMI signal wirelessly to the TV? So in essence you could have your DVD Player, PS3 or Bluray player, SKY HD etc hidden (but with infared remote access) and transmit the picture to the TV? If this is the case do you have multiple inputs into the sender unit and a remote to change the source.

2. Also, I seem to be accumulating lots of wireless products and am concerned that they may all interfere with each other. We have a wireless router connected to 2 x PC's and a PS3, wireless CCTV, a baby monitor, garage door opener and most importantly a wireless doorbell!! Will they all clash at some point? The microwave seems to cause problems when the PS3 is in use!

Any advise would be appreciated. TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Discovery 1 V8i Auto (The Off Road Toy)

Post #151417 Sat Jan 12 2008 4:37pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

cyberjes wrote:
Kaine

Nah... unfortunately not yet.

Seriously considering though. (Frankly, still waiting for my wife's confirmation. Big Cry )

Anyway, they look pretty good, huh?

Has anyone tried?

Its interesting to see Kef developing them - historically all these systems are not very reliable, however I'm always interested to be proven wrong and be able to spec them myself

Post #151421 Sat Jan 12 2008 5:02pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

landroverstormer wrote:

1. The Gefen item you originally posted looks like it sends HDMI wirelessly. Does this mean that I can have all my audio/visual equipment stored away from the TV, and then send the HDMI signal wirelessly to the TV? So in essence you could have your DVD Player, PS3 or Bluray player, SKY HD etc hidden (but with infared remote access) and transmit the picture to the TV? If this is the case do you have multiple inputs into the sender unit and a remote to change the source.

The Gefen unit (which I've confirmed this week still isn't being shipped) will take two HD sources and wirelessly link both the Vid & Aud to the remote unit at the TV. Your correct in your assumption about hiding the equipment away, however I would strongly recommend the equipment is still located pretty close to the TV (i.e. within 10' etc). The unit itself has an internal switch so you can switch between the inputs being used, however its only for upto two products. Personally I would use a AV Receiver with HDMI switching and then plug the output into the Gefen unit - you can have 2/3 HDMI sources on the Receiver and then a 3rd/4th HDMI unit on the second Gefen input.

landroverstormer wrote:

2. Also, I seem to be accumulating lots of wireless products and am concerned that they may all interfere with each other. We have a wireless router connected to 2 x PC's and a PS3, wireless CCTV, a baby monitor, garage door opener and most importantly a wireless doorbell!! Will they all clash at some point? The microwave seems to cause problems when the PS3 is in use!

Any advise would be appreciated.

Normally interference is not a problem as each product will use a different protocol (for want of a better word) to transmit their signals. In case of your microwave, this is a different problem - your microwave sounds like its leaking microwaves - these will interfere with any wireless system. Also we're just fitting a wireless doorbell (Friedland) and its very unreliable - nothing to do with interference - more to do with how cheap the internal bits are

Kaine

Post #151426 Sat Jan 12 2008 5:10pm
landroverstormer

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Thanks for the advice, just need to save a few pennies under the radar of SWMBO! Concerning that the Microwave oven is leaking microwaves....................... doesn't sound too healthy! Wasn't an expensive one so will probably ditch it and get something more reliable. I wondered why it took so long to dry the cat out the other night! Laughing TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Discovery 1 V8i Auto (The Off Road Toy)

Post #151475 Sun Jan 13 2008 11:26am
PauloAmore

Scotland 

Bowers & Wilkins introduces Liberty wireless speaker system

Posted Jan 21st 2008 7:49AM by Darren Murph
Filed under: Home Entertainment

Apparently, Bowers & Wilkins didn't want the whole world talking at once about its forthcoming Liberty at CES, but regardless, the self-proclaimed "wireless entertainment system" is all out in the open now. Slated to land this fall for a currently undisclosed price, the setup will consist of two XTW 8 towers, a pair of XTW 2 bookshelf units, an XTW Center channel and a PVW 1 subwoofer. Additionally, you'll find integrated class-D amplifiers and a rather sexy (albeit elusive) control unit, and if that wasn't enough, it's also the "first wireless system" capable of transmitting eight channels -- 5.1 for one room and two extra channels for remote zones. This system even utilizes "dynamic channel selection," which enables it to switch frequencies on the fly and choose the least trafficked frequency band to nix delay. Sadly, we've no price to share, but we wouldn't expect it to come cheap by any stretch of the imagination. [Warning: PDF read link]

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/978/ 2022 P440e AB

Post #152286 Mon Jan 21 2008 1:58pm
NYCsport

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Zambezi Silver

I am a bit late to this post, but I agree with the suggestion that the wireless speaker options are generally not very reliable.

It was not entirely clear to me that the use you had in mind was purely for rear sound. If you are looking for a more robust wireless audio system, I have had the Sonos (www.sonos.com) system installed in my apartment for over two years and it is the best money ever spent. Without having to open up any walls, I have a 6 zone whole house audio system, with full wireless access to 13,000 songs on a network drive. I do have my televisions connected to the system, but not for producing surround sound but rather to push the television audio through multiple zones for things like Super Bowl parties or when the television sound is to wimpy.

If you were feeling rich, or have some fancy surround set up that separately amps each channel, you probably could use multiple Sonos systems to wirelessly power the front and back. Mind you, the Sonos wirelessly transmits the source signal between boxes, which amplify the signal to the speakers, so there are speaker wires coming out of the Sonos boxes (which are about the size of a fat hardcover novel).

Post #152437 Tue Jan 22 2008 11:33pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

NYC

Glad you like the SONOS system - we're authorised dealers/installers for this system and you're right about it being a great solution for retro fitting a house with mutliroom audio. SONOS still has its limitations of course, as you have probably found which is a shame - isolation of controllers to zoneplayers would be the best upgrade that SONOS could introduce (but no plans as yet). We have a client with SONOS throughout his house and two young boys that find it funny to turn on Rock Music at full volume to get him up on a Saturday morning Laughing
The controller however is the best part of the SONOS system - very slick!!! Thumbs Up

In case of your idea, I'd expect some lipsync problems if you use a SONOS system in a 5.1 wireless system

Kaine

Post #152440 Tue Jan 22 2008 11:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12