RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > New member with a question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

tony2

New member with a question

Hello to all forum members. Very Happy
I have recently test driven the RR Sport diesels and have decided on the TDV6 as it has enough performance for my needs, but I would like some help on deciding if the dynamic stability is worth the extra readies.
Also from reading posts on the forum the charictaristic knocking noise that goes with it worries me a little. I was aware of this knocking noise on both of the test vehicles I drove (TDV6 HSE and TDV8 HSE) and would find it difficult to accept for such an expensive "Up Market Luxury Vehicle".
How much difference does it make to the vehicle, and does it have much effect when driving at normal road speeds?
The only other decision now is what colour and then its off to the local stealer to place the order.
Thanking you in advance for any input and opinions.
Cheers.....TC. Enjoying life and spending the kids inheritence

Post #145896 Wed Nov 21 2007 2:43am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the forum, Tony! Very Happy

A DR-equipped RRS is without a doubt much better in terms of spirited driving than one that isn't... it all depends on your own driving style and whether driving dynamics are important to you in your choice of car. When I had mine, it was not DR-equipped but found it handled well enough given the fact it's a 2.7t SUV, but the addition of DR makes it even more impressive.

As for the knocking - although this is a common problem (with a reasonably successful solution, if you read some of the posts here), it's not there by default. There are forum members with DR that do NOT suffer from this problem. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #145900 Wed Nov 21 2007 9:47am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Having just changed from a non DR equipped Tdv6 SE to a DR equipped TDv8HSE I don't really notice much difference, probably because most of my mileage is fast straight A roads and motorways. To be perfectly honest with you if you don't drive flat out on country lanes and back roads then I would forget it. It's a lot of money and potentially problems and OK so you do get nice 20" wheels and adaptive headlights in the package, which you can specify separately anyway by ticking the boxes. If you go down to an SE you will find the ride on the standard 18" wheels/tyres is quieter and smoother than on the 20"s and as the 18's have much higher side walls you can venture offroad and park safely in the knowledge that you are less likely to scuff the rims! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #145946 Wed Nov 21 2007 10:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trixman

Spain 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I cant really say much as Ive got DR and never driven one without, but I dont know anything about this knocking noise, I've not heard it so maybe im just lucky (or deaf) Just Picked up: 2006 RRS S/C, java with Ivory.
Garage: 2007 Mini Cooper, 2007 BMW 320d, 2002 Renault Clio (its a workhorse, honest)

Post #145962 Wed Nov 21 2007 11:15am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

You may well just not have it Trixman.... not every car suffers from it Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #145978 Wed Nov 21 2007 11:30am
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

I've only had the RRS TDV8 for a few weeks now and covered 10k km so far no knocking and the DR has got me out of trouble once, forgot I was driving the RRS and entered a tight corner as I would in my MG but no fuss no drama and a bit of tyre howl and we were round, passengers never even woke up Wink Whistle Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #145989 Wed Nov 21 2007 12:09pm
plum

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Lugano Teal

Must stand for Disaster Recovery in your case Alicatt Very Happy

Post #145997 Wed Nov 21 2007 1:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Shocked Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #146002 Wed Nov 21 2007 1:24pm
landroverstormer

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Welcome to the family Tony!

If you're looking new then the HSE will already have Dynamic Response. I've driven a few and to be honest it does make a big difference on mid-speed corners (say 20-40 mph).

If you're looking at used then depending on the age you then have the option of the Dynamic Pack (not Dynamic Response). The 'Pack' comes with Dynamic Response plus (as mentioned above) 20" wheels, fridge, adaptive lights, but the big one for me are the Brembo's. In my opinion the brakes are hugely improved with the Brembos' and for that alone I'd go for the pack.

FYI the 'pack' is only available on 06 model year, but the 'Response' became standard on 07 model HSE. If in doubt look at the chassis number in the screen and if it has 236 then it's 06 model, 237 is 07 model and so on and so forth. If an 06 has 20" and Brembo's then it will also have Dynamic response. TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Discovery 1 V8i Auto (The Off Road Toy)

Post #146013 Wed Nov 21 2007 2:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1