RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Are PIRELLI SCORPION TYRES really off road??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

G4LAND

Spain 
Are PIRELLI SCORPION TYRES really off road??

PIRELLI SCORPION TYRES

P275/45 R20 TL 106V RB M+S SCORPION STR
275/45 R20 XL TL 110V SCORPION ICE&SNOW

May I fit those tyres in my RRS?
Does it really work for off road? I understand, that I have to assume the wheels risk!!!
Which one do you recommend for increase my off road capabilities on muddy surfaces? Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN

13 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE SDV6
Orkney Grey/Black
(Spain)

07 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE TDV8
JavaBlack/Black
(SOLD)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
(Spain)

02 DEFENDER 90 BLACK LE TD5
(SOLD)

13 FREELANDER 2 (LR2) HSE Lux SI4
Havana/Black
(Mexico)

Post #144200 Mon Nov 05 2007 9:56am
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Yuri

The P275/45 R20 TL 106V RB M+S SCORPION STR is specified for Mud & Snow. However you wouldn't want to rely on them in thick mud or much snow. With the electronic trickery of the RRS though you will find those tyres quite adequate for light offroading and occassional winter work.

The 275/45 R20 XL TL 110V SCORPION ICE&SNOW tyres are specially designed to work well in very low temperatures and on (you guessed it) ice & snow. I run these tyres (albeit on 19" rims) in winter and have been delighted with them. They give good on road handling (wet or dry), are superb in ice & snow, and surprisingly competent on grass and mud. Fundamentally the tyres have lots of tread going accross the tyre ( like ==== shape) rather than around the tyre (like l l l l shape) so they can "bite" into a surface and get forward traction (or help you stop).

If you want a good all rounder, get the M&S tyre. If you need a cold temperature tyre you cannot beat the Ice & Snow. However the Ice & Snow will wear out quickly on hot tarmac in the summer months.

If you are serious about getting off road a lot and into very muddy situations, you will need an All Terrain tyre, or even a mud terrain tyre. To get lots and lots of info on those, look at the Disco3.co.uk forum at their Wheels & Tyres section. They talk a great deal about the available tyres there and anything that works on a D3 also works on a RRS. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #144322 Tue Nov 06 2007 12:15am
G4LAND

Spain 

Ok SMARTICUS, thanks for your clear information; it really helps me to understand the differences, and see the inconvenience to fit winter tires on a countries like Spain all the year do to high temperatures. I still going around to see what can I do to make some “off road” on long travels.
Really if I want, hard off road, I use the DEFENDER, but on long trips we like to make soft to mid off road with the RRS.
May I will assume the risk, to still using the CONTINENTAL fitted from factory on the 20 wheels, taken advantage of the electronics on the RRS, for soft to “medium” off road, until we find better options in Europe to fit 4x4 tyres on 20” wheels, like the COOPER ZEON available in North America market Wink . Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN

13 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE SDV6
Orkney Grey/Black
(Spain)

07 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE TDV8
JavaBlack/Black
(SOLD)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
(Spain)

02 DEFENDER 90 BLACK LE TD5
(SOLD)

13 FREELANDER 2 (LR2) HSE Lux SI4