RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Question for the "MAC Heads"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Rupert

Ireland 
Question for the "MAC Heads"

I’m going to be running some windows apps on my new Mac & was all set to get “Parallels” to do the job, but now I see on the Apple Store web site, another product “VMware Fusion” which seems to do the same job.

According to the reviews on the site, VMware seems to be the better product.

Anyone, got experience of it & if so any recommendations as to which I should go for ??

Post #144230 Mon Nov 05 2007 1:26pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I've used VMware countless times (and it is great for virtualising Windows builds) but not on Macs. I don't go near Macs as they are bad for my health Whistle VA uses Macs, although not sure he spends much time running Windows software. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #144244 Mon Nov 05 2007 2:55pm
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Well, I have been on mac since the Apple II but never had the need to run pc soft on it. Heard about these two sofwtare and I am sure you can find a website that will list the pros and cons of both.
But maybe the best if you need to run pc's sftwares would be to install Boot camp from Apple and then the windows version you required.
Like this, two computers in one: when you turn the mac on, you will have the choice to boot in Mac OS or Windows. Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #144245 Mon Nov 05 2007 2:57pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Or there's CrossOver which allows you to run Windows apps on Macs without installing Windows.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

I have no clue how good/bad it is though... Confused 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #144246 Mon Nov 05 2007 3:03pm
DarrenG

United Kingdom 

I run Parallels and have tried VMWare. Both have their good points. For me it was just down to the interface and usability and I found I preferred Parallels.

Having said that, vitualisation is OK for quickly launching a PC specific app (I have to use it to interrogate an Access Db) but unless you have a very Mac Pro or similar it's no substitute for a native PC install which you can achieve on the Mac using Bootcamp.

I'm not sure if VMWare has this but Parallels can use an image on a BootCamp Install. OOI what apps do you need access to? Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com

Post #144247 Mon Nov 05 2007 3:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Only windows I use are ones that open! Sorry no idea on this one. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #144249 Mon Nov 05 2007 3:15pm
Rupert

Ireland 

Jimmy_75000 wrote:
......................But maybe the best if you need to run pc's sftwares would be to install Boot camp from Apple and then the windows version you required..................

Well my new MAC will come with Leopard whihc now has Boot Camp as standard.

DarrenG wrote:
..........what apps do you need access to?

I have Photoshop Elements 5 on my PC, which I'd like to run on the MAC.

Also I have "PhotoPhilia" for the PC & don't think there is a MAC version available.

Basically I have a few windows apps that I’d rather not have to go out & buy the MAC version of, preferring instead to run them up on the MAC.

Last edited by Rupert on Mon Nov 05 2007 3:15pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #144250 Mon Nov 05 2007 3:15pm
mambo

DarrenG wrote:

I'm not sure if VMWare has this but Parallels can use an image on a BootCamp Install. OOI what apps do you need access to?
VMWare had that first.

I've used both too and prefer VMWare. The only thing I really liked about Parallels was the start menu in the dock.

Post #144251 Mon Nov 05 2007 3:15pm
Working Dog

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Chawton White

Let me see if I can have a go at this.

Boot Camp
Pro's
Provides basic pointers to the windows software where the hardware components are, i.e. RAM , Hard drive etc. and therefore turns the MAC into a PC. This is the most "compatible" way of operating and because there is no virtualisation layer also provides the highest performance under windows. There was an interesting article in a local magazine recently that had a performance shootout on which notebook to buy to run windows on.... the Mac won Shocked

Con's
You need to reboot each time that you want to run windows. You are also prone to the same security issues as a windows box.

Parallels
Pro's
Acts as a virtualisation layer within the Mac OS, and saves the need to reboot. Runs a full version of Windows and therefore has a high level of compatibility.

Con's
As a virtualisation layer - you get a performance hit on the applications that you are running.

Crossover
Pro's
Acts as a pointer layer within the Mac OS, and saves the need to reboot. Does not require an installation of windows to run and simply "points" the windows applications at where key hardware components reside such as RAM, HDD's etc.

Con's
Since it is not running windows not all windows applications will work under Crossovers.

VMware
Haven't had a play with this as yet ... sorry Embarassed Just a white TDV8 with a few extras

Post #144531 Wed Nov 07 2007 8:38pm

United States 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

honestly for me, the bes tthing to do is to install bootcamp and just run the windows programs there, for example for school i have to use AutoCAD and i tried it on parallels and it wasnt working right and i installed bootcamp and installed CAD under windows and it was fine, the only thing is when ever you want to use a program underwindows you have to restart your mac in order to boot into windows, but that doesnt really bother me... James A. Cadet

07 Range Rover Sport S/C
Chawton White

Post #144544 Wed Nov 07 2007 9:35pm
DarrenG

United Kingdom 

Rupert wrote:
I have Photoshop Elements 5 on my PC, which I'd like to run on the MAC.

Also I have "PhotoPhilia" for the PC & don't think there is a MAC version available.

Basically I have a few windows apps that I’d rather not have to go out & buy the MAC version of, preferring instead to run them up on the MAC.

I can understand your not wanting to buy Mac versions...however I'm an avid photographer and you owe it to yourself to check out Apple's Aperture application, utterly brilliant. And Photoshop Elements for Mac is only £50ish Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com

Post #144549 Wed Nov 07 2007 10:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ayates

United States 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

Go with Bootcamp..... its not virtualisation but instead runs windows directly on the chipset... quick and stable.

Otherwise VMware is probably the next option Brit across the Pond Wink
07 TATA (LR) RRS SuperVindaloocharged, Buckingham Blue, Stormers, TPMS, Sunroof, Rear Difflock,PDC front & rear, Privacy, Rear twin DVD, premium ice, mudflaps, premium Ivory leather, lined oak, PTI, Sat Radio.

Post #144634 Thu Nov 08 2007 5:22pm
Rupert

Ireland 

DarrenG wrote:
................I can understand your not wanting to buy Mac versions...however I'm an avid photographer and you owe it to yourself to check out Apple's Aperture application, utterly brilliant. And Photoshop Elements for Mac is only £50ish

Yeah I'm going to check out Aperture & compare it to Lightroom, as soon as I get the new MAC & decide which to go with.

I hear what you're saying about Elements for the MAC being only fifty quid, however, from what I can see there's only Elements 4 available for the MAC, whereas I'm running version 5 on the PC & wonder what I'd be missing by going back to 4 for the MAC.

That said, there's now version 6 of Elements for PC's, so the MAC version seems to be lagging way behind the PC editions.

Hopefully though Adobe will release a more up to date version for the MAC in time, which I’ll get. But for now I’d like to keep Elements 5 running on the MAC.

Post #144658 Thu Nov 08 2007 8:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1