Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Hair Raising Flying!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Endjin

Scotland 
Hair Raising Flying!

Glad none of these guys were flying my last holiday flight Shocked

The 747 landing near the end is so close to being a crash it's not even funny!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vey0p1drH0g&NR=1 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #143668 Wed Oct 31 2007 8:07pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Took the dog for a walk round the park the other day just as we got in there i saw the plane coming in to land (the flight path is right over the park so you can see a lot there and is only about 1.5 mile from the airport) only to see this thing pull back up was a bit Shocked

But the noise that come out of it and then the wind caching back with it that was a bit mad really when you see all these leaves come from no where Laughing

Oh and he had to go out miles to have another go in the time it took him to do that about 4/5 plans had landed RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #143675 Wed Oct 31 2007 8:24pm
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hey, just a bit of fun cross wind landings, or in some cases attempts to land. Makes you work hard but a lot of fun..... Twisted Evil '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #143695 Wed Oct 31 2007 8:45pm
JayMann

Bet the passengers don't see it as fun? RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #143696 Wed Oct 31 2007 8:47pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I watched those You tube vides as well when I looked at the other link - who the hell goes and stands at the end of a runway waiting for a plane to crash land....................................... like those folks that appeared to be watch the Air France airbus that overshot and mowed down half a forest and set fire to the other half. Yes some of the landing were rather scary. I've experienced 4 flights like that - the last one on January 20th this year when we had all the storms and heavy snow and I had to fly from Glasgow to Hong Kong via Amsterdam on KLM and the pilot of the 737 we were flying in had 5 attempts to get the plane down due to the fierce crosswinds and weird downdrafts. Have twice flown on the BA shuttle from LHR to Glasgow and despite getting to about 3feet from being landed at Glasgow we have powered off and away back to London as the pilot decided to abort the landing at the very last minute due to 85mph cross winds!
The worst place for scary landings that I have been to must be Wellington in New Zealand.............................we landed in a storm which was bad enough, but just as we were approaching the arrival gate the nose wheel collapsed and we had to do an emergency exit from the plane - just as well I had 4 days there waiting for the ship to arrive from Aus to get over the landing! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Wed Oct 31 2007 8:51pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #143697 Wed Oct 31 2007 8:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JayMann

Think VA knows someone that likes planes RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

Post #143698 Wed Oct 31 2007 8:49pm
Tim in Scotland

Jay don't mention THE BOSS Mr. Green 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #143699 Wed Oct 31 2007 8:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DarrenG

United Kingdom 
Re: Hair Raising Flying!

Endjin wrote:
Glad none of these guys were flying my last holiday flight Shocked

The 747 landing near the end is so close to being a crash it's not even funny!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vey0p1drH0g&NR=1

That Jumbo was landing at the old Kai Tak airport, HK. Now replaced. Always hairy there and that cross wind landing was nothing unusual given the short turn on finals. Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com

Post #143703 Wed Oct 31 2007 11:33pm
Tim in Scotland

When my ships were berthed at the MTL terminal, Kwai Chung in Hong Kong we were right under the flight path into Kai Tak and it always amazed me that a plane never touched any of the blocks of flats that they had to pass between on final approach, the planes often appeared to be below the height of the top floors of the taller blocks - I wonder how many tower block residents lost their washing to close encounters with a jumbo's wing tips. The approach to Hong Kong is now quite boring since the airport moved out to Lan Tau Island. Last year I was transiting Hong Kong waters under pilotage under the Ma Wan suspension bridge and into Ma Wan Channel on a very large containership. It was 12 hours after a typhoon had passed by Hong Kong/China and there was torrential rain. As we sailed through the main channel to Shekou our route was directly under the final approach to Lan Tau and the rain was so heavy that we had zero visibility. The ship's bridge is 50m above the water and we could FEEL the planes going overhead but couldn't see them and they were only another 50m or so above us at that stage of their approach. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #143704 Wed Oct 31 2007 11:47pm
Phantom

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Tim in Scotland wrote:
who the hell goes and stands at the end of a runway waiting for a plane to crash land

There are loads of people standing at the end of the runways at Brussels Airport, they seem to take pics of the planes passing by .... Yawn

I might go standing at the gates of the LR factory, maybe a LR might pass by so I can take a pic Confused 08.5 RRS TDV6 HSE Java Black/Alpaga - Cold Climate Pack - Privacy Glass - Bluetooth - Sunroof - 20" wheels - Rubber Floor mats.
07 Mini Cooper Cabrio - Astro Black - Leather Recaro seats - Chili Pack - Chrome Pack - Chrono Pack - Extra Lights - JCW/K&N engine tuning - John Cooper edition.

Previous cars:
Mercedes C 270CDI - Opel Vectra GTS 2.2DTI - Volvo V40 1.9DTI - Mercedes C 220CDI

Post #143709 Thu Nov 01 2007 6:39am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Pilots pulling out of landings at the last minute is very common, happens every day for one reason or another. Mostly it's never anything to worry about. When I flew to HK, Kai Tak was still open and how on earth planes didn't crash there on a regular basis I don't know. An interesting landing Wink It had an excellent safety record though, from what I understand.

I can understand planespotting more than I can train spotting - I really don't see the point of that.... in the car park at w**k, there are ALWAYS people that have been sat there for the day with their cameras, UHF radios and Thermos flasks. I drove in at just gone 7.30 this morning and there was a fair few there...

Talking of Hong Kong facts for the plane geeks, the first ever flight to land at Terminal 5 next year will arrive from there. You can drop that in when it goes quiet in the pub later Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #143711 Thu Nov 01 2007 9:00am
Pelyma

England 

The worst flight I had was in Kenya, the pilot flew with the cabin door open so you could see straight through. The runway kept swing from one side top the other and when we finally touched down we weaved all over the grass runway Shocked Did you see this video too? &NR=1 Not planes but quite funny Rolling Eyes

Post #143730 Thu Nov 01 2007 10:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1