RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Hi there, a quick question to all s/c owners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

cfcdoc

Hi there, a quick question to all s/c owners

A bit of background, i`ve lived the imported japanese turbocharged experience and fancy a bit more refinement but not for the want of a lack of pace. I`m aware of options and am looking at several, old RS6 , new B7 RS4( a bit small), cayenne turbo s( ugly but it shifts) and a range rover s/c or chipped v8 diesel.

Its probably been done to death alread but my biggest concern if you could call it that is fuel consumption, not the cost but the regularity with which I have got to stand on a windy forecourt feeding my baby black gold.

I`m getting at the moment about a range of 250 miles on approx £55, whats the range like for you s/c owners, mpg to me is futile as it depends on driving style, proportion of urban vs motorway etc, i want range, how far are you going on average on a tank full and how bigs the tank on a s/c. Is a chipped V8 worth getting Vs supercharged as TBH i`m not a traffic light racer, burnt too many clutches, tyres etc in my more formative driving years and have grown out of that.

Reason I`ve posted is ive found a lovely vesuvius orange. Is this considered chavtastic colour but it does look so so nice. Too many javas on the road, a lovely colour if kept clean but how difficult is that.

I appreciate any advice or personal experiences, it really just is the inconvenience, is it honestly that bad with the s/c

Post #143593 Wed Oct 31 2007 1:42pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

You will get about 12mpg - but get the VO - very few about it's a great colour! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #143597 Wed Oct 31 2007 1:47pm
cfcdoc

what does that translate to as range, agree re vesuvius, its almost pearlescent, lovely colour. Have you got a s/c, is it "worth it" Vs the diesel or is it merely status, i know the two are different engines obviously and perform differently but its overtaking and cruising i`m interested in, not really 0-60, more like 30-70, 50-70 etc etc.

Post #143598 Wed Oct 31 2007 1:49pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The VO S/c will be a very early car, but also it might have been on the publicity fleet at launch so it you can find out it's history you might be saving yourself from buying a trashed S/C that a thousand motoring journos have played in. IIRC officially there were only something like 100 VO cars available WORLDWIDE, the rest were Java or Zambesi for the 1st Editions.

The range of an S/C is about 220 miles on a tankful, driven with retsraint..................... somebody I know is only getting 8mpg/ 150 miles range out of his, but he drives it with the gear selector in Sport mode all the time so it never gets into 6th gear! The TDv8 is not far off the performance but I can get 450 miles out of a tankful of derv. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Wed Oct 31 2007 5:30pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #143607 Wed Oct 31 2007 2:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landroverstormer

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

300 miles max in a SC or 450 in a TDV8. Both a based on a balanced driving style. TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Discovery 1 V8i Auto (The Off Road Toy)

Post #143609 Wed Oct 31 2007 2:21pm
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

The answer to your problem is:- a newer TDV8 and have it chipped. This will give you an extra 50/60 bhp and far greater torque for overtaking than the SC has. Bow down

The down side is, you cannot have the Vesuvius colour. Banging Head Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #143610 Wed Oct 31 2007 2:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

If you're saying to us that you don't care how much money you have to spend at the pump, then the SC is it for the noise and quickest sprint away from the lights AND you have the option of finding a 1st Ed in VO which is a great looking colour.

BUT.... the TDV8 definitely makes the most sense to buy. It will likely cost you more to purchase at this point, but get it chipped and in real terms you'll never look back in terms of performance. And of course, that windy forecourt will be a place less visited, even if you have a heavy right foot. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #143612 Wed Oct 31 2007 3:02pm
bermyandy

2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

250 miles from me on a tank

Post #143636 Wed Oct 31 2007 3:54pm
NYCsport

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Zambezi Silver

Maybe the North American cars are different, but as a Manhattan resident that does a combination of city driving but mostly highway jaunts to the country with the usual mix of New York traffic and 70 miles per hour cruising, my 2007 Sport has done far better than the others. I have not reset the MPG gauge since I bought the car -- 11,000 miles at 16.6 MPG, and a usual range in the low 300 miles.

Post #143648 Wed Oct 31 2007 5:55pm
cfcdoc

thanks for the replies, as i said i imagine fuel consumption to really be based on driving style as yes schmoogle the filling up isnt a worry from a pecuniary perspective but it is just so inconvenient especially when you have to queue at the pumps, there are just so many more exciting things one could be doing Thumbs Up

8mpg Big Cry does he race everything on the way to work Rolling with laughter

it seems on average range is about 150- low 300 per tankful which considering the amount of motorway driving i do, quite pleasing as its not a lot ( i do realise cruising at ~70 is more economical but you cant have everything.)

I still dont know what to do with regards the diesel Vs s/c debate. I dont really find it necessary anymore to "get away from the lights", whats the point in it. You embarass some hot hatches but then the cars embarass themselves. Much more prefer the overtaking at speed thing and i would suspect with the diesels torque its quicker then the s/c. Is this accurate or am I just trying to convince myself. The problem and the biggest problem is no VO in diesel.

Post #143650 Wed Oct 31 2007 6:08pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

You could always buy the rare Atacama Sand Embarassed Very few of them about! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #143651 Wed Oct 31 2007 6:24pm
Tim in Scotland

Tangiers Orange might be even rarer - something like only 39 RRSports produced in it. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #143654 Wed Oct 31 2007 6:31pm
cfcdoc

so rare i dont even know what atacama sand looks like. but thanks for the idea Thumbs Up

Post #143656 Wed Oct 31 2007 6:46pm
Phantom

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

cfcdoc wrote:
The problem and the biggest problem is no VO in diesel.

What's VO ? 08.5 RRS TDV6 HSE Java Black/Alpaga - Cold Climate Pack - Privacy Glass - Bluetooth - Sunroof - 20" wheels - Rubber Floor mats.
07 Mini Cooper Cabrio - Astro Black - Leather Recaro seats - Chili Pack - Chrome Pack - Chrono Pack - Extra Lights - JCW/K&N engine tuning - John Cooper edition.

Previous cars:
Mercedes C 270CDI - Opel Vectra GTS 2.2DTI - Volvo V40 1.9DTI - Mercedes C 220CDI

Post #143658 Wed Oct 31 2007 6:57pm
Tim in Scotland

At launch there were some special launch editions that were supercharged V8's with some additional bits on the inside for £63000. They were available in a special chromaflare paint job called Vesuvius Orange, Zambesi Silver and Jave black. There were only something like 100 of each colour available worldwide.
The RRS on the banner at the top of the page is a VO 1st ed 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #143660 Wed Oct 31 2007 7:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>