RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > What do you fill up with
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

SteveWilliams

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
What do you fill up with

After reading the post about LPG. I started to wander what fuel everyone fills up with. I have a 2.7 diesel and just use the normal every day run of the mill stuff. Does anyone use the expensive stuff that is supposed to give you extra power and MPG? If so do you think it does do what it says on the tin?[/i]

Post #140577 Sat Oct 06 2007 8:39pm
ayates

United States 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

Shell V-Power and thats it ..... compared it over others and it does feel different. I also have a good friend that is with Shell in the fuel development area and we have had many an hour discussion about the differences over bog std fuels and it would seem that there is a difference if not just in engine wear. Brit across the Pond Wink
07 TATA (LR) RRS SuperVindaloocharged, Buckingham Blue, Stormers, TPMS, Sunroof, Rear Difflock,PDC front & rear, Privacy, Rear twin DVD, premium ice, mudflaps, premium Ivory leather, lined oak, PTI, Sat Radio.

Post #140592 Sun Oct 07 2007 5:40am
Josh

United Kingdom 

I use BP Ultimate diesel.

Not sure I get extra mpg (maybe a couple), but it certainly runs smoother. I think long term the engine will run cleaner and more efficiently without the carbon deposits left by the cheaper fuels. So wear and tear should be less than with cheaper fuels. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #140601 Sun Oct 07 2007 10:55am
Endjin

Scotland 

I tried the BP Ultimate Diesel and Shell V-Power and there is no difference in MPG whatsoever and TBH I also didn't feel any other difference either (except my pockets were lighter)!! Wink
This is an interesting question though, Did anyone see the test Fifth Gear did on the Shop bought fuel additives - A real eye opener, NOT ONE of them actually lived up to the claims made on the bottle and in all cases they actually REDUCED the BHP output of the cars by between 2 - 5%!! Shocked Now, this begs the question. What would be the result if the same test was carried out on the Normal Vs Premium Fuels Question 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Last edited by Endjin on Sun Oct 07 2007 11:24pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #140613 Sun Oct 07 2007 2:59pm
SteveWilliams

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

That is part of the reason I asked the question. Do these expensive fuels actually make a difference although they do normally say it takes a while to notice the difference.

Has fifth gear or top gear done a feature on fuel does anyone know?

Post #140617 Sun Oct 07 2007 4:46pm
Slimer

United Kingdom 

Never noticed any difference with BP Ultimate but Shell V-Power definitely makes my engine run smoother

Post #140618 Sun Oct 07 2007 4:50pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

a little bird once told me some petrol stations put the same fuel in both the std and super unleaded tanks on occasions due to logistics

Post #140620 Sun Oct 07 2007 5:38pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

What Car has an article on the subject at moment. I flicked through it in a shop. But it seems to be petrol biased.

Perhaps Jaymann could read the whole article Wink

I may well change my mind about the Ultimate when I have to buy my own fuel in the near future. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone

Post #140657 Mon Oct 08 2007 8:19am
mlines

United Kingdom 

I have kept careful MPG records for mine.

With Ultimate fuel I get between 1 or 2 MPG more per tankful. At around 15 gallons per fill this is between 15 miles and 30 miles more per tank. Going for the worse case of 1mpg more this is approximately 0.5 gallon saving per tank or say £2.50

At around 8p per gallon more I spend £1.20 extra to save £2.50.

Obviously I cannot comment on the internal benefits to the engine as I have not stripped it out and looked with a microscope!

In terms of power/driveability - this is so subjective that its hard to comment.

As far as I am aware lorries only deliver basic diesel to the garage tanks, this way the logistics of carrying different fuel types are simplified. The delivery man then injects into the tank the additives to make it Ultimate - such a small quantity is needed that this can be easily handled in small containers.

Martin 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #140661 Mon Oct 08 2007 9:03am
Kuke

Switzerland 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

the standard 98 octane is the best compromise i think. there's the cheaper 95 ocane available (eeew dirty Smile ), but the engine just runs much smoother with the 98. never tried the 100 ocate ones, will try the V Power next time. (get the chance every other day Neutral greets to the green party Razz )
I doubt the same fuel is in the 98 and the V power tanks be one hell of a lawsuit and image damage if they advertise it as 100 octane, and it turns out to just be the normal fuel. RRS SC Bonatti Grey

Post #141009 Wed Oct 10 2007 11:47am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Kuke wrote:
I doubt the same fuel is in the 98 and the V power tanks be one hell of a lawsuit and image damage if they advertise it as 100 octane, and it turns out to just be the normal fuel.

it was from a very good source - it wasn't common place however sometimes demand and vehicle logistics demanded it

Post #141016 Wed Oct 10 2007 1:35pm
MikeP

United Kingdom 

There was an article in Autocar the other week - Last week I think and they're tests proved from fuel alone that Mpg and obvious signs of improvement for the extra 8p is not noticeable HOWEVER they did not touch the engines and could measure any change on engine wear etc.

I will stick to V-Power, even if I am a few pounds lighter for it. Personally I noticed a slight difference between normal and premium.
And I'm sure that occasionally petrol stations will probably fill premium with normal unleaded but if someone was to find out they'd be Censored if someone could prove it so when they do it - its very risky.

This is also shortly before BP Super Ultimate comes out with 102 RON. Will get a free tank of that off a friend to see what its like. However the cost of that is meant to be astronomical at £3.4X a litre. Michael Potter
Rangey Lover/BMW Driver

Post #141021 Wed Oct 10 2007 1:47pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Yeah... keep it for trackdays. Nobody needs to spend that sort of money on a tank of fuel!! Shocked 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #141053 Wed Oct 10 2007 2:25pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

A friend of mine has decided to run his BMW diesel on BP Ultimate diesel after using normal spec fuel. He reports that he is getting better Mpg and performance as a result of the change. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone

Post #141260 Thu Oct 11 2007 8:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1