RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Keep or hand back?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

bermyandy

2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver
Keep or hand back?

So, after the first week of the alternator failing, they gave me the next service for free (due in Oct 08, when the car will be 3 years old and covered maybe 30,000 miles - how much do you think i have saved here?)

Its going back in on Thursday to have the squeeky front end looked at. Technician says its a rubbery squeak (he wasnt chinese, for reference) and could be a number of things. I asked them to confirm the previous use of the car (fearing press car etc) and was told it was an MD of LR that used to own it. Now depending on what this issue is, and therefore whether its wear and tear that can only have been caused by misuse in its forst 20,000 miles, should I go for next years warranty for free after this second visit in 8 days of ownership, or just hand it back and start again?

What are the real costs of handing it back - I assume the costs of finance as will have to repay the existing facility, and take it out again when they get the new vehicle

And do i really want to go down this route? Do they put up much resistance?

Post #139366 Tue Sep 25 2007 1:28pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Give Phil Popham a ring - he's MD of LR. Ask him about his previous car. I have his contact details if you need them. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #139367 Tue Sep 25 2007 1:36pm
bermyandy

Apologies - just re-read their email. It will have been owned by a manager prior to me. I added Director in my own head there, sorry!

Post #139368 Tue Sep 25 2007 2:11pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

You should have a 30 day exchange policy from LR. Basically hand it back and get another one, if that isn't a good'un hand that back too. Not sure if there are any penalties but it's what I would do.
Your dealer should have checked everything out before you took delivery of your car - have no sympathy for them as they obviously tried to pass these faults off on to you. I know the dealer and I have my suspisions of them, they get a lot of ex LR cars - how many of them are rejects? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #139371 Tue Sep 25 2007 2:15pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

I doubt if the vehicle was "owned" by a Land Rover manager for the full two years. They normally only keep their vehicles for between six and nine months.

I would dig a bit deeper on this if you really want to know the vehicle history. But don't worry too much, Land Rover normally take good care of the managerial fleet vehicles. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #139372 Tue Sep 25 2007 2:17pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Not sure anyone has met their third service yet, but assuming it is charged at the prevailing rate - that will probably save you about £400 roughly speaking. But this cost changes from dealer to dealer which is why you should always shop around for a service.

That said, you will probably lose considerably more by handing it back. They obviously won't refund you the entire purchase cost - and even if they did, it wouldn't cover the settlement cost of your finance agreement, especially so soon after taking it out. As to how much that will cost you in real terms, only you can find that out really... finding out what the settlement figure for your finance is should be straightforward but the fighting will start around the refund price... it won't be a walk in the park that's for sure. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #139374 Tue Sep 25 2007 2:20pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

I presume your dealer agrees there is a problem with the car. Ask them why the car was sold when the LR website gives all sorts of promises.

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/co...hicPromo_2

You should be able to play hardball for a full refund - they didn't check the car properly. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #139378 Tue Sep 25 2007 2:24pm
bermyandy

Well, on the exchange policy, its essentially they find you a car of similar price (not necessarily spec) and any difference is refunded or you pay up

Will email to ask more about the previous history

Post #139379 Tue Sep 25 2007 2:24pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Yep, not cut and dried by any means. It's going to be a hard push and to get the best price possible you may need to invoke LRCS for a non-dealer point of view. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #139380 Tue Sep 25 2007 2:26pm
Endjin

Scotland 

bermyandy wrote:
Well, on the exchange policy, its essentially they find you a car of similar price (not necessarily spec) and any difference is refunded or you pay up

Will email to ask more about the previous history

Remember, You are still protected by the "sale of goods act". You could always just ask for your money back on the basis that "the product is not fit for purpose" and that you have given them ample "fair time to correct the faults". They may deduct something for the mileage you've covered, but that would be pretty petty considering the hassle you've had. It's also worth phoneing your local trading standards office and get their help. Another good source of info is the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Best of Luck Thumbs Up 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #139419 Tue Sep 25 2007 6:10pm
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

So on the basis of the alternator failing and a rubbery squeak, do you really want to reject the car?

The car is 2 years old and you have been given a new alternator and the equivalent of £400 by way of an apology for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Things sometimes go wrong in the world of engineering. What is important is the way these problems are dealt with. It seems to me your dealer has dealt with this 100% correctly and if these problems are the only ones you encounter during your ownership, I think you can count yourself lucky.

Post #139424 Tue Sep 25 2007 6:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

United Kingdom 

With rrsjo on this one, totally sympathise with the disapointment of the car going wrong so quickly after picking it up but I would certainly give them the chance of putting the squeak right.
Believe me the hassle of rejecting or handing the car back will be much more than giving the dealer a chance to put right what may just be a small problem.

Good luck whatever you do Thumbs Up

Post #139425 Tue Sep 25 2007 6:44pm
aljo

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

well i squeak as i find ! and totaly agree with rrsjo and cliff on this Thumbs Up 

Post #139426 Tue Sep 25 2007 6:52pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

rrsjo and cliff have the best approach, I think.

The other route could be very stressful followed by a non helpful approach if and when you have a problem on the replacement vehicle.

Give the dealer a chance instead of going for the jugular Exclamation It will pay in the end. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #139429 Tue Sep 25 2007 8:05pm
bermyandy

Points taken. Will see what happens post thursday on the check up

Post #139436 Tue Sep 25 2007 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>