RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > "Fallout" a new LR Term ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
"Fallout" a new LR Term ??

Anyone have any idea what Landrover means when it believes the problem with the paintwork on my bonnet is due to "fallout", i thought this was a consequence of nuclear devices, not LR paint jobs. I want to make sure that LR own up and fix the problem i have reported since day dot, where there are copperish rings in the bonnet (it looks like ring worm on the Silver paintwork ). I just want to make sure they are not trying to "worm" their way out of the obligation to fix it.. Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #133520 Mon Aug 20 2007 11:58am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

A few have complained of these "rings" in the paintwork from new.... I suppose "fallout" is a term given to whatever failure occurs in the painting process. TB might know if he was paying attention that day Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #133521 Mon Aug 20 2007 12:01pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Yeah, I know. Smile Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #133523 Mon Aug 20 2007 12:07pm
Zilch

shmoogle wrote:
A few have complained of these "rings" in the paintwork from new.... I suppose "fallout" is a term given to whatever failure occurs in the painting process. TB might know if he was paying attention that day Wink

I must have annoyed him in the jokes section Whistle

But on as near serious note we can get on the forum, it is weird that after 2 inspections, 12 months of discussion then the last 3 of bickering, only now that LR Australia want to inspect the vehicle. The Dealership and an independent paint shop (commissioned by the dealer) have both photographed and subsequently submitted quotes to do the work, so they know it has to be done. Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #133524 Mon Aug 20 2007 12:12pm
TB

Right then, here goes;

The term "Fallout" normally reffers to crap that settles onto the vehicle whilst in transit on the boat over to Australia / New Zealand.

This can range from sea salt to bird droppings and even rust and dirt which can fall from the ships deckheads whilst the vehicles are stored between decks. This fallout can settle on any of the vehicles horizontal surfaces and react with the paint finish.

New vehicles are usually protected during transport with "transit wrap". A white plastic film which covers the bonnet and bumpers. Any fall out that does settle and react with the paintwork can normally be polished out with minimal effort. I am surprised that the dealers didn't identify the problem during their PDI process. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #133529 Mon Aug 20 2007 12:53pm
landroverstormer

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I would guess that 'fallout' is something in the atmosphere that has landed on the car. Eg Acid rain, chemicals from a factory carried in the cloudbase etc etc.

Could be an attempt to swerve the issue? I'm not sure how the insurance system works down-under, but I would probably talk to my insurer and suggest they speak to Land Rover or I'll have to make a claim for a respray! Not sure if that would constitue a claim though if Land Rover ended up paying in the end (need to be a bit careful on that one).

Big Cry TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Discovery 1 V8i Auto (The Off Road Toy)

Post #133530 Mon Aug 20 2007 12:56pm
landroverstormer

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Sorry, replied as TB was replying........... He seems to be a little more expert on the subject though! Whistle TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Discovery 1 V8i Auto (The Off Road Toy)

Post #133531 Mon Aug 20 2007 12:59pm
Zilch

TB wrote:
I am surprised that the dealers didn't identify the problem during their PDI process.

hmmm, its the same ones who thinks Peters noisy Dynamic response is the norm !! However to be honest and give credit where its due, they have supported me on trying to get this resolved. I just hope they do not swerve due to pressure from LR OZ Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #133532 Mon Aug 20 2007 1:04pm
TB

Unfortunately, you can always stumble across this type of dealership. Whether you are purchasing a car, motorbike, luxury speed boat or even a caravan. Too many dealerships skip on the whole PDI process and take a "fix on fail" mentality.

They get paid for the PDI by the manufacturer either way. But they loose out on claims like this as they have already been paid to inspect the painted surfaces once, they will struggle to claim for this under warranty as they should have spotted and fixed the paint defects before the vehicle was handed over. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Post #133538 Mon Aug 20 2007 2:54pm
Zilch

I hear you TB, the vehicle is in next week for its 18 month service (every 6 months down under) next tuesday and they will inspect the vehicle then. It will be interesting to find out what the discussion will be between the dealer and LRA. I will keep you posted of the outcome Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #133603 Tue Aug 21 2007 11:16am
TB

Good luck. Thumbs Up Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Post #133620 Tue Aug 21 2007 2:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1