RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RRS Driver Convicted due to Black Box Recorder
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234

Murdered out

United States 2008 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black

yup, all new cars have them. They are mainly used in DWI accidents to see how the driver reacted. Especially if someone is killed. If they notice the driver did not even try to brake before causing whatever he caused the "man" usually comes down harder.... 

Post #164184 Wed Apr 09 2008 4:11am
RonnieG

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

70mph in a 30 zone no excuse what so ever should have done time and been banned for life from driving. its prats like this who may kill one of your family! The family are just as bad by dragging the little girl and her family through court.. They should get hammered for a couple of million to support the wee girl through her entire life! Take responsibilty for your actions means very little nowadays!

Post #165349 Mon Apr 14 2008 9:17pm
tafftoo

topnotch wrote:
not much difference controling a blow out at 70 or 90 in a modern car.
70 was fast when they were building the motorways and eveyone was driving around in british leyland skips with drum brakes. now 70 is easy to maintain in the smallest of cars.
Braking distances have also been improved.
The only thing that seems to have got worse are the driving standards.

If I recall correctly, the 70 mph limit was imposed on motorways as a direct result of the e-type which was often found driving at 140mph+

Post #165414 Tue Apr 15 2008 9:15am
tafftoo

I admit I've got a bit of a lead right foot. When I was learning to drive, my driving instructor picked up on the leadfootitus and used to take me round the country lanes in south wales. Out there I would dutifully stick to the 60 speed limit and not much below it. I didn't like using the brakes, and so would set the car up correct for the corners and just power through them.

He would turn to me and say "go faster, go faster". At first I thought it was a trick and so I asked him "Why do you want me to go faster when the limit out here is 60?" He told me that once I had passed my test I would be driving around those lanes one hell of a lot faster than 60. Because of that he wanted me to know what it felt like to drive at those speeds around the lanes, while having him cover the dual controls. I would regularly travel above 80mph through the country lanes but I very quickly learned about controlling a car at speed, and more importantly, that just because the legal limit of the road is one thing, it doesn't mean that the conditions of the road on that day will allow you to travel at that speed.

Prior to owning the sport I had a Leon Cupra R, and by god did it shift. Just by setting the car right for the corners, and by getting my speed right for the road I could leave quite a lot of more expensive (and dare I say less well driven) machinery behind me. But with a car that powerful, it starts getting silly. I'm really glad for the driving tuition I received when i was younger as it probably saved me from a lot of really silly mistakes. I sold the Leon and traded up to a sport, and while I do sometimes miss the Leon, I still have a lot more fun in the sport at 30mph, than I ever did in the leon at 70mph+.

I don't think it's speed that kills, but rather a lack of experience and an education of driving at speed. Coupled with that the number of distractions we face on the road (disguised camera vans parked on blind corners, mobile phones, flashing road signs, etc), more and more people are a danger when they drive at speed. On the public roads, there really isn't isn't any need to use excessive speed. But I think everybody should be taught how to drive at speed so they can see for themselves what can happen.

Post #165416 Tue Apr 15 2008 9:35am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

tafftoo wrote:
But I think everybody should be taught how to drive at speed so they can see for themselves what can happen.

But not on public roads thank you, there are enough idiots on them without folks out to see what happens when you get it wrong! Not long after I passed my test the local police training school opens it's doors for a public relations day and I went along for some lessons on their skid pan which was one of the best afternoon's of training and fun that I have ever had. It's a pity they don't open their facilities more often for folks to learn how to control their car. Certainly, judging by the number of fresh holes and the number of new sections of fence replacing mature hedgerows that have appeared on the roadsides in this area in the last 6 months there are a lot of drivers out there who need some formal training in car control, not just enough lessons to pass the driving test. Hardly a week goes by here when the recovery truck isn't out pulling a wreck out of a field or off a tree. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #165426 Tue Apr 15 2008 10:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

a news article will be on the ITV news after the break on this

Post #167112 Thu Apr 24 2008 10:15pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

2 years is a disgrace - any idiot driving that fast in a 30 zone should be locked up for a minimum of 10 years & a hefty fine for the ruined life of that little girl. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #167113 Thu Apr 24 2008 10:22pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

To issue a statement saying how sorry he "is" after his lawyer trying to get away with it too Shocked

His parents run a £350m company and his insurer aren't even paying out a interim payment (£1m) without the girls family going to court, Censored disgusting Exclamation

Post #167115 Thu Apr 24 2008 10:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234