Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Badge removal - standard to supercharged
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Jonny Fresh

England 
Badge removal - standard to supercharged

Hi Guys,

Any methods to remove the green landrover badge from the boot to replace with black supercharged badge bought from eBay? What method results in no scratches etc, some form of heat to melt the glue?

thanks

Post #157896 Mon Mar 03 2008 11:59am
Rupert

Ireland 

I used a length of fishing gut & worked it in behind the badge to seperate it from the car with no damage.

Then to make sure I located the black badge exactly where the green one was.........

I got a piece of light cardboard, traced out the shape of the badge, using the new & as yet unapplied black badge, onto the cardboard.

Then with a very sharp scalpel cut out the shape, leaving the “Oval Hole” creating a template.

Then placed the template over the original green badge, fixed the card to the boot with some masking tape & removed the green badge. Which left me with an exact reference for the new badge.

After a trial run, I then stuck the black badge onto the boot, removed the card template & Hey Presto, new badge in exactly the same place as the original green one.

Have a look at this thread........

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic3018.html

.........where the badge swap was discussed, amongst some Off Topic banter, just like we're famous for here on RRS Whistle Very Happy

Last edited by Rupert on Mon Mar 03 2008 12:29pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #157898 Mon Mar 03 2008 12:03pm
Steve in germany

Germany 

I did mine last week, just used the wife's hairdryer for 5 mins on the rear badge, got my fingers behind it, little more with the hairdryer and off it came. New one straight on in it's place. For the one in the grille I used one of those tiny electrical screwdrivers, pushed it into the badge and then pulled it straight off, OK ruins the old badge but saves risking any marks to paintwork on the grille. Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Did have: RRS TDV8 2008.5MY
Did have: Q7 3.0TDi S-Line/Tech/Comms pack
Did Have: Disco3 HSE

Post #157899 Mon Mar 03 2008 12:20pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

Thanks

EX-X5! wrote:
Glad u liked that!

On a serious note - just done job in my lunch break. Took about 15mins.

Rear badge - Easy - Marked horizontal line with masking tape under bottom edge, and one strip for left edge. Used dental floss behind one corner, and 'sawed' off badge. Then picked off glue residue with thumb nail, before using a T cut type fluid (was actually that fancy Maguires paint prep stuff), just to clean the surface off. Then stuck new badge on (carefully!) before removing tape.

Front - I got a hairdryer and heated up the badge for a couple mins. Then I got a drill (bear with me), with a tiny bit and drilled the old badge about 10mm from the corner, making a tiny hole which didnt go into grille (actually just touched it but so what the badge hides!). THEN I put in a small sharp self tapper screw and screwed it in again guestimating the thickness of the badge (ie not into grille). I then went back to hairdryer, and heated the screw area of the badge. NEXT, pair of pliers on the screw, and pulled whilst continued to heat. Started to come away EASY. And once a corner was lifted just pulled with fingers whilst carrying on heating. Picked glue residue off as back, and DONE! Hope this helps. Sorry about gag couldnt help it! Made Aljo laugh anyway!

From above quote on another thread....what fluid would you use to clean where glue was under badge, what is the Muaguire's stuff referenced, and what would you use to stick it back on with, standard super glue?

Post #157902 Mon Mar 03 2008 12:37pm
Steve in germany

Germany 

The badges have 3m self adhesive tape on them so you just peel off the backing and put it on, just use a little soapy water to clean the area before putting new badge on. Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Did have: RRS TDV8 2008.5MY
Did have: Q7 3.0TDi S-Line/Tech/Comms pack
Did Have: Disco3 HSE

Post #157916 Mon Mar 03 2008 1:05pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

Thanks Steve.

Post #157921 Mon Mar 03 2008 1:16pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I was also advised that before sticking the new badges on it is a good idea to warm the panel surface where it is to go with the before mentioned hairdryer, aparrently it makes the glue stick even better and ensures the surface is dry after the washing. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #157931 Mon Mar 03 2008 1:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CHARLES

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I changed both my badges recently and found fishing line for the back badge was the best method and cleaned the area with white spirit. For the front I drilled a hole in the front green badge and used a screwdriver to wedge it out. Then I cleaned the old foam stick pad away by rubbing it with my finger which gave me a blo**y blister and then stuck the new supercharged black badge in the aperture.

They look so much better. You will also need to buy the new wheel badges to match. I also drilled a hole in them, wedged them out and stuck the new ones in. Thumbs Up RR SPORT TDV8
Java Black

Post #158551 Thu Mar 06 2008 10:22pm
XUJG

I put masking tape around the original so I knew exactly were to place the new badge. Heated the original with the hairdryer and it came off clean. Used a little meths to clean the residule of the adhesive and stuck the new on on. Took ten min in total.

Post #158552 Thu Mar 06 2008 10:27pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

Hey guys,

Got a call from dealer this morning saying my car had arrived, they need 3 days to add all my dealer fitted extras so I can pick up Thurs am!!! Very Happy

Anyway.....regarding black badges I just asked if they could change all the badges to black (supercharged), I already have black on the grille as I got the SC grille and vents.

For all four wheels and the badge on the back it is £92 + vat fitted.....a bit steep but at least I know they will be fitted by professionals and should stay put!

I bought the tailgate black badge off ebay and now have no need for it.....anyone want it PM your name and address......first come first served.....freebie for all your kind advice Bow down

Post #159039 Mon Mar 10 2008 6:05pm
Jazzz

Russia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Buckingham Blue

Gentlemen,

I know I am blowing against the wind, but let me ask you anyway with all due respect: what is the point of fitting all those S/C attributes to a non-S/C vehicle? Are you trying to have your vehicle pass for an SC? What for? Whom are you trying to fool?

I can understand these exhausts and vents and grilles ans bumpers that in your opinion look BETTER than stock, but what is the point of changing stock to stock? Cheers,

Andrei

Post #159060 Mon Mar 10 2008 8:16pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Nobody's trying to fool anyone Jazzz.... it's just that the common belief amongst a lot of people is that the SC grille and vents look better than the standard components. If folks want to make their cars look better then I'm all for it Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #159134 Tue Mar 11 2008 12:09pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

I just like the SC bit's think they look much better then the green badges i was gonna get a SC but i have the SL for power so no need for the SC in the RRS Thumbs Up RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #159144 Tue Mar 11 2008 12:30pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Jonny Fresh wrote:
For all four wheels and the badge on the back it is £92 + vat fitted.....a bit steep but at least I know they will be fitted by professionals and should stay put!

£92 are you MAD! just do them yourself and spend the money on a tank of juice RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #159145 Tue Mar 11 2008 12:32pm
Jazzz

Russia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Buckingham Blue

shmoogle wrote:
Nobody's trying to fool anyone Jazzz.... it's just that the common belief amongst a lot of people is that the SC grille and vents look better than the standard components. If folks want to make their cars look better then I'm all for it Thumbs Up

ok, there might be a subtle difference in looks when it comes to grilles and vents (which I personally fail to see, but maybe I am style-blind), but BADGES? Cheers,

Andrei

Post #159146 Tue Mar 11 2008 12:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>